Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Hunting

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 08, 2009, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on July 08, 2009, 03:25:11 PM
What's the problem here anyway? Freeman attempted to headbutt an opponent - 8 week ban. end of story.
And by that logic Doherty and Mullan were seen to strike an opponent - 8 week ban. end of story.

Strike with the knee warrants 4 weeks
Kicking with minimal force warrants 4 weeks

check it out, then build a bridge and get over it,

Correct!

But then, what would Banty have to complain about?

Maguire01

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 08, 2009, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2009, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: Will Hunting on July 08, 2009, 03:25:11 PM
What's the problem here anyway? Freeman attempted to headbutt an opponent - 8 week ban. end of story.
And by that logic Doherty and Mullan were seen to strike an opponent - 8 week ban. end of story.

Strike with the knee warrants 4 weeks
Kicking with minimal force warrants 4 weeks

check it out, then build a bridge and get over it,
Yes, I suppose my mistake is looking for logic in this system in the first place.
But anyway, i've accepted that the ban is there and whilst Tommy is a big loss it's still very possible to do it without him.

Main Street

Monaghan play better while still feeling the bruises from the previous game, strange to some, but the result stats support it.
The banjaxed bar is higher in Monaghan than in most other counties. This team can batter 2 Ulster teams into submission inside 7 days, score some quality winning points, then a few days later, stand shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Kerry, for 68 or so minutes.

bingobus

Feck me, still some whinging going on here and its laughable at the Derry heads still crying the victims and talking of been provoked by the animals of Monaghan.

Derry can't be beat by enough on Saturday, would love it be a great display of football that does it but it'll prob be a tough encounter and a real battle, as the medai aare describing it already.

I don't care how Derry are beat to be honest. Glad Bradley and McCloy will be available, as no excuses can be used.

Maguire01

Strangely enough in the lead up to the 2007 game Bradley wasn't meant to be playing, with a suspension hanging over him, although he did end up playing on the day. I'm hoping he's playing this Saturday as well. No room for excuses.

As for Monaghan, I think that whilst it's a big loss, we can pull through again without Tommy. We managed without Finlay in 2007 and 2008 and he's arguably every bit as important as Tommy.

SidelineKick

I just hope to god that Monaghan concentrate on playing football this time round.  Thats two games against two Ulster teams that you have dragged the standard down.

Derry by 3.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Main Street

The Derry disciplinary record against Monaghan has been very poor, as recorded in the card count and sending offs.

I don't expect Derry to be as impotent as they were last time in Clones but I think some sting will be gone from their tail since Tyrone spanked them. I would even be more encouraged r if Monaghan can somehow prevent that soft sloppy goal that Derry seem to score against us.

SidelineKick

I would hardly say "very poor".  I just think it will be interesting this time round with the linesmen and umpires more aware of what Monaghan are all about, hopefully they wont hold back on informing the ref of their antics.  Doc to get man of the match, then put his trophy on ebay and give the proceeds to charity. My kind of captain.

Mone will be lined. Clerkin will not be able to get away with his normal stuff so will be very quiet. Derry will dominate midfield and win the game by 3 points. Paddy kicking 7 or 8 (equally dispersed between both feet and possibly the odd one with the fist).
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

cusack og

I genuinely believe that we are well ahead of Monaghan in the talent stakes but they just always seem to be that kind of opposition that cause us bother. I'm thinking back to the early 90's and being about 10 points ahead in Castleblayney before we needed a last gasp goal just to get a draw and then Peter Duffy running riot against us in the late 90's, think we sneaked a draw that day too. I would just love us to go out and fulfill our natural footballing ability and get the scores on the board instead of constantly chasing games which would maybe give us supporters an easier time of it......or maybe that's just part and parcel of being a derry fan  :(

tonesfirstandlast

Cusack, it is you and morons like you that has derry in the position that they are in. derry talent, talent, talent, if we had that much talent we wouldn't be 1998 since we played in an ulsre final, we wouldn't have beaten in the 1st round of the minors and u21 this year. Football in Derry is failing and peole like you running round talking about talent. Get a bit of disciline and courage into them boys and go out play an d stop whinging about boys hitting you. Its a mans game.

Bogball XV

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on July 08, 2009, 06:23:50 PM
Cusack, it is you and morons like you that has derry in the position that they are in. derry talent, talent, talent, if we had that much talent we wouldn't be 1998 since we played in an ulsre final, we wouldn't have beaten in the 1st round of the minors and u21 this year. Football in Derry is failing and peole like you running round talking about talent. Get a bit of disciline and courage into them boys and go out play an d stop whinging about boys hitting you. Its a mans game.
last ulster final defeat was by a point to armagh in 2000 (i think).

Maguire01

Quote from: SidelineKick on July 08, 2009, 05:59:21 PM
I just think it will be interesting this time round with the linesmen and umpires more aware of what Monaghan are all about, hopefully they wont hold back on informing the ref of their antics. 
I think that they'll be well aware of what both teams are at.

cusack og

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on July 08, 2009, 06:23:50 PM

tfal, I think you've ever so slightly misread what i was trying to say. I'm not trying to claim that Derry are the most talented team in the business because we're not but I was making a lighthearted plea for Derry to give us supporters a break and put in a performance were we take the game to the opposition from the off instead of the usual championship form in the past 10 years or so were we are constantly chasing games. God supporting Derry can be as frustrating as it gets.  Its about chanelling our talent into an effective gameplan which we've never really managed to do in recent times and it won't be fixed overnight. But i can be optimistic that we will get there...

Main Street

Maybe Derry are more suited to challenge games.
Just a thought.
They don't perform when faced by a team supposedly not versed in the dark arts and when faced with a team supposedly well versed in the dark arts, they lose the head and look kinda unnatural with their version of getting stuck in.

GrandMasterFlash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8141849.stm

Derry have confirmed that defender Niall McCusker will play no further part in this year's Championship because of a groin problem.

The Ballinderry man has been dogged by injuries and requires an operation.

"He is such a good footballer and will be a significant loss," Derry manager Damian Cassidy told the Irish News.

Meanwhile, the Cassidy is hoping Kevin McGuckin's red card against Tyrone will be rescinded by the GAA's Central Hearings Committee on Thursday night.

McGuckin clashed with opponent Sean Cavanagh during the Ulster semi-final.

Cavanagh is understood to have written a letter supporting McGuckin's case.

Cassidy said he would be surprised if the red card verdict was not reversed.

Fergal Doherty and Brian Mullan return to the Derry panel after suspensions.

John Kielt, out for five weeks with a broken jaw, is now back in contention for a place in Cassidy's starting 15.

Paddy Bradley is expected to play for Derry after taking part in training on Tuesday night.

BBC Sport revealed on Monday that an unhappy Bradley had opted out of the Oak Leaf squad on Sunday morning but he has since had a change of mind.

James Conway has not been asked to rejoin the panel while Enda Muldoon remains sidelined for another two weeks because of an ankle injury.

---------------------

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of McGuckian's red card offense. I thought he was harshly sidelined but it will highlight the consistency (or lack there of perhaps) of the powers that be..