Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 09, 2009, 11:47:45 AM
It'll be interesting to see the outcome of McGuckian's red card offense. I thought he was harshly sidelined but it will highlight the consistency (or lack there of perhaps) of the powers that be..
And again, ridiculous that so many weeks after the game and it's still not resolved!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on July 08, 2009, 09:45:13 PM
Maybe Derry are more suited to challenge games.
Just a thought.
They don't perform when faced by a team supposedly not versed in the dark arts and when faced with a team supposedly well versed in the dark arts, they lose the head and look kinda unnatural with their version of getting stuck in.
would kind of agree with that
Derry players are either able (debatable) to firstly play football or secondly fight.
they cannot do both.

While some might disagree or even laugh, the niggly/fouling/hitting off putting tactics used by a lot of players throughout the counties IS an Art of sorts.
I dont like it and never have, but in moments of weakness retaliation to it got me booked a few times when I used to play.
Other times you had to simply get on with it and when you had the ball and IF the opportunity was there to 'do' the niggly fecker, you took it.
Most times you wouldnt get booked or even concede a free if you did it right!
Ignoring it or being able to retaliate in that manner are the only answers to it.
Running away from it and being put off the game or fighting and being put off the game or indeed off the field just simply lose the battle against it.
Derry dont have a good record against this kind of football at intercounty level !

Maguire01

I though we might have had at least 1 team announed by now. I suppose Derry are waiting on McGuckin's hearing tonight.  My team for Monaghan as follows:

McBennett
D Mone  Corey  McArdle
Freeman  McQuaid  Hughes
Lennon  Clerkin
Gollogly  Finlay  McManus
Downey  Ronaghan  Woods

Potential Sub options:
Hanratty for Gollogly, with Woods moving out to half forward and Hanratty into the forward line
McKenna for Clerkin or Lennon in midfield (seemed to work well last week)
JP Mone in at FB to allow Corey to move into attack (possibly to replace Downey or Ronaghan)
McGuigan into the forward line to replace any of the front 3

The front line is obviously the main area for potential weaknesses, although I think we have a number of options if things aren't working. It's just a matter of Banty making the substitutions earlier than the last 10 minutes of the game.

JMohan

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2009, 01:26:30 PM
I though we might have had at least 1 team announed by now. I suppose Derry are waiting on McGuckin's hearing tonight.  My team for Monaghan as follows:

McBennett
D Mone  Corey  McArdle
Freeman  McQuaid  Hughes
Lennon  Clerkin
Gollogly  Finlay  McManus
Downey  Ronaghan  Woods

Potential Sub options:
Hanratty for Gollogly, with Woods moving out to half forward and Hanratty into the forward line
McKenna for Clerkin or Lennon in midfield (seemed to work well last week)
JP Mone in at FB to allow Corey to move into attack (possibly to replace Downey or Ronaghan)
McGuigan into the forward line to replace any of the front 3

The front line is obviously the main area for potential weaknesses, although I think we have a number of options if things aren't working. It's just a matter of Banty making the substitutions earlier than the last 10 minutes of the game.

Question - Who'll be the sweeper in front of Bradley?

Suggestion - Swap Hughes and McQuaid

Maguire01

Damien Freeman possibly to drop back in front of Bradley; maybe McManus falling back a bit deeper too.

High Wide and Handsome

What do the Monaghan people on here think of Hanratty as a footballer?
"Swing er over!"

Maguire01

Quote from: High Wide and Handsome on July 09, 2009, 01:45:37 PM
He definitely has the potential to be good, although I think his confidence has taken a knock of late.
Some of his finishing has let him down, but he's got good speed and can fluster defenders - often worth a free or two. Probably needs to look up a bit more to give the pass away rather than try and shoot himself from difficult/impossible positions. I think he's going to come good one of these days - he's still young.

GrandMasterFlash

Pace to burn. Needs to be more direct. Gather the ball out in front, turn, pick a straight line for goal and head for it, either take a score or win a free, pretty simple. Hanratty tends to elaboratre on all of the aforementioned tasks i.e. runs for the corner, head down, poor shot selection.

He's definitely got talent and I'd hope he'd come good but I think coaching someone at that stage may be easier said than done. I'd stick with him though. If we could get him running in straight direct lines at least it'd be a great start!

GrandMasterFlash

It'll be interesting to see if McArdle and D Freeman pull through. Hopefully it was a bout of cramp in both cases on Sat last but they both looked in pain by the end of it! D Freeman gave/took some big hits also!

SidelineKick

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2009, 01:53:42 PM
He definitely has the potential to be good, although I think his confidence has taken a knock of late.
Some of his finishing has let him down, but he's got good speed and can fluster defenders - often worth a free or two. Probably needs to look up a bit more to give the pass away rather than try and shoot himself from difficult/impossible positions. I think he's going to come good one of these days - he's still young.

I think thats a good description.  He dances and bounces about and its very off putting.  Even if he's not going anywhere he looks like he's causing problems.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

timmyot501

I think Hanners will come good again someday (hopefully soon).  His confidence just fell to pieces during the league this year being thrown on and then taken off again.  The miss against Kerry in Croke Park after a brilliant run may have had something to do with it.  I agree with the description that he "dances and bounces about" and if he became more direct it would help or even just use his speed to go around defenders without throwing 5 or 6 dummies.  A couple of points would cure alot of his current problems I reckon.  He did win a good ball towards the end v armagh, won his free and moved the ball on quickly from it.  But just as his luck has been all year the linesman penalised McManus (I think) for going out over the line once he collected the pass.

As for Saturday I wouldn't start him.  If JP Mone was fit I'd have Vinny at FF but when he made no appearance last week I can't see this happening.  So I think the same 15 will start as last sat with only Downey under threat.  McManus could start in the corner with maybe McGuigan operating the defensive half forward role.

Kentucky Blue

be very interesting to note derry team selection on saturday. There is no way Diver should be moved out of midfield after his performance against Tyrone. Re-jigging the shape of the team to accomodate Patsy could prove a hinderance. Dont get me wrong I think Patsy is a great player.
I hope Brian Mullan starts anyway. Cant be a place for Lynn or Brown IMO but could be brought in.

I think the ref will be VERY strict early on and umpires and linesmen will play a big role also after all the bad publicity about the game in Celtic Park. This may clean up the game as a spectacle, here's hoping.

With all the goings on in derry of late, i cant see a lot of supporters voting with their feet and travelling to Clones. Everyone was down after the Tyrone defeat and its manner but at the end of the day even if kerry were playing tyrone this weekend or any team in Ireland for that matter, tyrone would be favourites. I hope a bit of pride is restored in the jersey and derry put up a good fight and dont drop the heads at any stage. Has been all too common the past couple of years, in games where we have trailed by a slim enough margin, it feels like ten points behind. Dont want to see body language like that on the field!

Derry can still win, Im going for a hesitant two point win.

Maguire01

Quote from: timmyot501 on July 09, 2009, 02:35:56 PM
I think Hanners will come good again someday (hopefully soon).  His confidence just fell to pieces during the league this year being thrown on and then taken off again.  The miss against Kerry in Croke Park after a brilliant run may have had something to do with it.  I agree with the description that he "dances and bounces about" and if he became more direct it would help or even just use his speed to go around defenders without throwing 5 or 6 dummies.  A couple of points would cure alot of his current problems I reckon.  He did win a good ball towards the end v armagh, won his free and moved the ball on quickly from it.  But just as his luck has been all year the linesman penalised McManus (I think) for going out over the line once he collected the pass.

As for Saturday I wouldn't start him.  If JP Mone was fit I'd have Vinny at FF but when he made no appearance last week I can't see this happening.  So I think the same 15 will start as last sat with only Downey under threat.  McManus could start in the corner with maybe McGuigan operating the defensive half forward role.
It was McManus, however whilst his foot was over the line, the ball wasn't. The linesman made the wrong call with that one - I was right in front of it.

timmyot501

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2009, 03:06:14 PM
It was McManus, however whilst his foot was over the line, the ball wasn't. The linesman made the wrong call with that one - I was right in front of it.
[/quote]

I thought by the reaction near the sideline that it was a close call alright - It just makes Hanners luck even worse if that was the case :)

tbrick18

Hanratty could do with a haircut before he can be taken seriously...to much vidal sassoon that boy  ;)

Seriously though I think he's one of those "has real potential" players. Really fast, has a bit of skill but his decision making lets him down. This should improve with experience. One for the future I would think.

I've absolutely no idea what way this game will go. It's probably a cert that there'll be a few early cards apart from that it's impossible to call. Monaghan were dire last week and still beat Armagh so that will give them a lift. Derry were poor against Tyrone and with all the other problems in recent weeks it's impossible to know if it has had an effect on the players. And now Niall McCusker is out for the year too. 
If Derry have their heads right, I think they should win comfortably...otherwise an uncomfortable 2 point defeat.