Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

Mick McGoldrick is still in Oz as far as I know. I think he left around november time and is not due back until November this year. He'll not be an option for derry this year at least.

Fluffysocks

i was at work last sat and missed the derry game. i was hoping to watch it on the rte website whne i got home that but they dont recognise my isp as being in the ireland of ireland, therefore i waited until wed night when apparently the games r available to anyone in the world to watch but still no joy. any help where i can watch the game again?

JMohan

You'd be glad of Cartin now wouldn't you?

Don't understand how he was due to start against Monaghan and next thing he's gone from the panel?

Even though you'd prefer not - he'd release O'Kane to drop back into the corner and that would tighten that FB line up alot - also leave you a man who can follow men out up the field and cause more damage than the forward.

peterquaife

Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: oakleafgael on July 16, 2009, 10:44:46 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:41:10 AM
Quote from: oakleafgael on July 16, 2009, 10:35:02 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:25:02 AM
Quote from: Will Hunting on July 16, 2009, 10:22:31 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: JMohan on July 12, 2009, 07:58:01 PM
Quote from: southderryman on July 12, 2009, 04:46:33 PM
people may think its daft but i was thinkin last night that fegal doc may be an option in there, perfroming a similar role to that of which mc anallen did for tyrone.

pasty bradley imo is a very under rated midfielder and makes a world of difference to our team. with him and diver in there (as long as he learns to never shoot!!!) we could hold our own with fergal in full back?

Has Patsy ever been tried there?

naw he hasn't not to my knowledge anyway. crozier tried him at wing half back for a spell, it didnt really work out. out of the 3 we have for midfield, fergal is clearly the best footballer and while the other 2 may find it hard to adapt to other positions i reckon doherty could adjust to play full back. in saying that, he had one horrible game when crozier tried him at CHB against tyrone 2 years ago. still, i think his reading of the game and fielding ability may be an option in there, for me we have to try something else, mccloy is just to slow for this level of football

I could be wrong here, but was Patsy not tried at full-back during this year's McKenna Cup? I'm thinking back to the Fermanagh game specifically.

you could be right, i didnt get to any mckenna cup games this year as it was during final exams

do you think doherty could be an option in there? or am i just talkin sh1te!?

I seem to remember Fergal playing fullback on occasion for St Pats in the McRory Cup. He looked far from comfortable there and its to late in the year to be trying things like that. A top class forward like O'Neill or Brogan would expose a novice full back very easily.

maybe so, and perhaps it should be left to try at the begginning of next year.

i just have severe doubts about mccloy in there, he has a great brain and can read the game perfectly, its just a pity he hasnt got the speed.

saturday was very very worrying, ronaghan was in acres every time the ball went in. you say a top class forward like brogan or o neill would expose doc and you are right they probably would, but they would do the same to mccloy imo. thats the reason he was dropped for tyrone game and SML picked up o'neill.

my point about doc was more so if the opposition had a target man in full forward like ronaghan on sat. fergal can compete in the air with anyone, and is more mobile than mccloy

I dont think its pace that McCloy is struggling for but more confidence and form. He has never been fast but his strength and reading of the game has always left him able to hold his own. There is a certain type of forward that he can mark and there are others he shouldnt be let near. Its up to the management to make sure he is marking the correct man.

i know he's never been fast but he definitely seems to have slowed down evern from a year or 2 ago. against monaghan the first day he held his own in there, but we were more defensively set up that day. saturday we were exposed to players running at us and we struggled, mccloy was perhaps exposed more than usual. its just with the defenders available at present i really worry its going to cost us one of these days

it was mentuioned on the forum last year, that according to the training stats, McCloy is one of the fastest on the panel

JMohan

From what I was told they never did any testing last year!

southderryman

Quote from: JMohan on July 17, 2009, 07:27:18 AM

Don't understand how he was due to start against Monaghan and next thing he's gone from the panel?

Even though you'd prefer not - he'd release O'Kane to drop back into the corner and that would tighten that FB line up alot - also leave you a man who can follow men out up the field and cause more damage than the forward.

i'd have cartin on my starting team every day of the week

think it was just injury, and being fed up never being able to play due to injury the main reason he left. you can see his point, i cant remember the last championhip game he started for derry, and he's been around the panel for a long time.

just a very unfortunate player, very similar to micky mc goldrick and mc cusker, with constant bad luck. i'd have all 3 in my defence.

southderryman

Quote from: peterquaife on July 17, 2009, 10:40:08 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: oakleafgael on July 16, 2009, 10:44:46 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:41:10 AM
Quote from: oakleafgael on July 16, 2009, 10:35:02 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:25:02 AM
Quote from: Will Hunting on July 16, 2009, 10:22:31 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 16, 2009, 10:19:20 AM
Quote from: JMohan on July 12, 2009, 07:58:01 PM
Quote from: southderryman on July 12, 2009, 04:46:33 PM
people may think its daft but i was thinkin last night that fegal doc may be an option in there, perfroming a similar role to that of which mc anallen did for tyrone.

pasty bradley imo is a very under rated midfielder and makes a world of difference to our team. with him and diver in there (as long as he learns to never shoot!!!) we could hold our own with fergal in full back?

Has Patsy ever been tried there?

naw he hasn't not to my knowledge anyway. crozier tried him at wing half back for a spell, it didnt really work out. out of the 3 we have for midfield, fergal is clearly the best footballer and while the other 2 may find it hard to adapt to other positions i reckon doherty could adjust to play full back. in saying that, he had one horrible game when crozier tried him at CHB against tyrone 2 years ago. still, i think his reading of the game and fielding ability may be an option in there, for me we have to try something else, mccloy is just to slow for this level of football

I could be wrong here, but was Patsy not tried at full-back during this year's McKenna Cup? I'm thinking back to the Fermanagh game specifically.

you could be right, i didnt get to any mckenna cup games this year as it was during final exams

do you think doherty could be an option in there? or am i just talkin sh1te!?

I seem to remember Fergal playing fullback on occasion for St Pats in the McRory Cup. He looked far from comfortable there and its to late in the year to be trying things like that. A top class forward like O'Neill or Brogan would expose a novice full back very easily.

maybe so, and perhaps it should be left to try at the begginning of next year.

i just have severe doubts about mccloy in there, he has a great brain and can read the game perfectly, its just a pity he hasnt got the speed.

saturday was very very worrying, ronaghan was in acres every time the ball went in. you say a top class forward like brogan or o neill would expose doc and you are right they probably would, but they would do the same to mccloy imo. thats the reason he was dropped for tyrone game and SML picked up o'neill.

my point about doc was more so if the opposition had a target man in full forward like ronaghan on sat. fergal can compete in the air with anyone, and is more mobile than mccloy

I dont think its pace that McCloy is struggling for but more confidence and form. He has never been fast but his strength and reading of the game has always left him able to hold his own. There is a certain type of forward that he can mark and there are others he shouldnt be let near. Its up to the management to make sure he is marking the correct man.

i know he's never been fast but he definitely seems to have slowed down evern from a year or 2 ago. against monaghan the first day he held his own in there, but we were more defensively set up that day. saturday we were exposed to players running at us and we struggled, mccloy was perhaps exposed more than usual. its just with the defenders available at present i really worry its going to cost us one of these days

it was mentuioned on the forum last year, that according to the training stats, McCloy is one of the fastest on the panel

it was mentioned by who?

that cant possibly be right.

i was at owenbeg last night, he wouldnt have been in the top 15 quickest, no chance

tbrick18

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 17, 2009, 05:43:57 PM
Quote from: southderryman on July 17, 2009, 05:39:54 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 17, 2009, 07:27:18 AM

i'd have cartin on my starting team every day of the week

think it was just injury, and being fed up never being able to play due to injury the main reason he left. you can see his point, i cant remember the last championhip game he started for derry, and he's been around the panel for a long time.

just a very unfortunate player, very similar to micky mc goldrick and mc cusker, with constant bad luck. i'd have all 3 in my defence.

Would have Cartin over Mc Kaigue any day of the week, ideal defence would be Mc Guckin, Mc Cusker/Lockhart (defending on the type of player they will mark), O Kane then 2 Mc Goldricks and Cartin.

I agree with this 100%.
Cartin left purely over injury frustration. He was playing well in the league and that was the first decent run he'd had in about 3 years without injury. He got injured before the league final and was gutted he couldnt play. He came back from injury and was due to start against Monaghan but injured his groin in the warm up.  He was going to be 6-8 weeks out again so at this stage he was totally fed up by all accounts. Couldnt blame him to be honest. From a Derry point of view I wish he was still on the panel as I'm sure he'd be starting and would be a real asset in the half back line.