Started by Jinxy, May 23, 2009, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 07, 2010, 12:51:25 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 06, 2010, 03:00:55 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 06, 2010, 02:53:57 PM
Quote from: Donkeywalloper on December 06, 2010, 10:23:20 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 05, 2010, 03:12:43 PM
Collins is the only ref I can think of that would regularly have BOTH sets of fans baying for blood by the end of the game.

Some very handy frees alright. The Dubs threw it away (again) 2  points up with about 6 -7 minutes to go.

Mc Geeney was immense in the last 10 minutes, however overall the folklore i have heard in the last 8 years regarding this team is somewhat nostalgic. Enjoyed their day in the sun but average overall. They wouldnt touch Kerry or Tyrone. In 20 or 30 years they will be hardly be remembered outside Armagh.
I thought they were a more impressive side in the couple of years after winning, before that, I wasn't overly impressed.
We can thank the the two brian's all the same for changing the face of gaelic football forever with the introduction of the 2 man attack and the blanket defence in 1999.

They wouldn't touch either Kerry or Tyrone according to you yet their championship record against both counties between 2000 and 2006 reads;

V Kerry: Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 2

V Tyrone: Won 2, Drawn 2, Lost 2

Hardly "untouchable."

There would need to be a wee asterix beside one of the Armagh victories over Tyrone, we all know what happened in the 2005 Ulster Final replay.

Armagh scored 13 points and Tyrone scored 11?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mackers on December 08, 2010, 02:56:37 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 08, 2010, 01:55:03 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on December 08, 2010, 01:31:16 PM

You wouldn't swap Derry's record in the nineties for armagh's in the 2000s?
jeez no, we were frustrated enough as it was !
Sure battering Armagh in the 80's and 90's means feck all to us either.
The back door system trivialised the Ulster championship to many people. its not what it was.

You're on a wind up aren't you? Only possible reason for your last couple of posts. You would rather have a few meaningless league medals than seven Ulster medals. The Ulster championship has lowered in value but to say that it is now trivial is OTT. An Ulster medal would still mean a lot to any player outside of Armagh and Tyrone and you know it!!
would I have swapped an ulster title for the AI semi final in 2004 (with a chance of the final)
no

it was great for any team to win so many provincial titles as Armagh did, but our new back door system has trivialised the ulster title.
The munster title means little to cork and kerry.
there is only one title to win and its not the provincial one.

If you want to talk about annual underachievers and poor championhsip performances then I will sadly discuss the Derry team since 2001 with you. Is there any point.While Armagh underachieved in a similar fashion though did win ulster titles - it wasnt that Derry were concentrating on the backdoor - they couldnt get it together consistently to do anything much.

Mickey hartes book says/indicates that despite his shouts to re-vaule the Ulster title, he still looks at it as a 'vitual nothing' in the grand scheme of things and thats how I look at it too.

Would I go wild celebrating an Anglo-celt win - no , (I actually never did) I'd be delighted that Derry had won more than two games in a row and might actually pose a threat for an AI title !

All this because of an armagh poster was upset from what someone posted...

Donkeywalloper

QuoteAll this because of an armagh poster was upset from what someone posted...
Like spoilt children. God forbid you say anything that is negative about this team. However you are 100% correct. Major unachievers and with the aid of hindsight very one dimensional with limited flair.

DuffleKing

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 08, 2010, 01:31:16 PM

You wouldn't swap Derry's record in the nineties for armagh's in the 2000s?

Simple enough question i thought, with a yes or no answer.

mackers

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 08, 2010, 03:46:08 PM
No, all this because you said that you wouldn't swap the leagues won by the Derry team in the 90's with the Ulster championships won by the Armagh team of 99-08...........utter crap.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mackers on December 08, 2010, 04:35:34 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 08, 2010, 03:46:08 PM
No, all this because you said that you wouldn't swap the leagues won by the Derry team in the 90's with the Ulster championships won by the Armagh team of 99-08...........utter crap.
Nope, look at reply #61.

I was an am an admirer of armagh, kernan and cross. But my opinion is that Armagh were not a successful team as they only won ONE All Ireland!
But jayzuz don't say a bad word about Armagh or the dummies will be spat!

mackers

Derry in the 90's were an unsuccessful team then??
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

nrico2006

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 08, 2010, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 07, 2010, 12:51:25 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 06, 2010, 03:00:55 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 06, 2010, 02:53:57 PM
Quote from: Donkeywalloper on December 06, 2010, 10:23:20 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 05, 2010, 03:12:43 PM
Collins is the only ref I can think of that would regularly have BOTH sets of fans baying for blood by the end of the game.

Some very handy frees alright. The Dubs threw it away (again) 2  points up with about 6 -7 minutes to go.

Mc Geeney was immense in the last 10 minutes, however overall the folklore i have heard in the last 8 years regarding this team is somewhat nostalgic. Enjoyed their day in the sun but average overall. They wouldnt touch Kerry or Tyrone. In 20 or 30 years they will be hardly be remembered outside Armagh.
I thought they were a more impressive side in the couple of years after winning, before that, I wasn't overly impressed.
We can thank the the two brian's all the same for changing the face of gaelic football forever with the introduction of the 2 man attack and the blanket defence in 1999.

They wouldn't touch either Kerry or Tyrone according to you yet their championship record against both counties between 2000 and 2006 reads;

V Kerry: Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 2

V Tyrone: Won 2, Drawn 2, Lost 2

Hardly "untouchable."

There would need to be a wee asterix beside one of the Armagh victories over Tyrone, we all know what happened in the 2005 Ulster Final replay.

Armagh scored 13 points and Tyrone scored 11?

Yep, that was the result after the referee had made two mistakes (incorrectly sending off two Tyrone players) when Tyrone were comfortably ahead.  The sendings off won Amragh the game.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mountainboii

Quote from: Donkeywalloper on December 08, 2010, 04:11:24 PM
QuoteAll this because of an armagh poster was upset from what someone posted...
Like spoilt children. God forbid you say anything that is negative about this team. However you are 100% correct. Major unachievers and with the aid of hindsight very one dimensional with limited flair.

Which is it? They underachieved or they were shite?

Kinda making a dick outta yourself lad with such obvious contradictions.

lynchbhoy

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2010, 09:03:58 AM

Yep, that was the result after the referee had made two mistakes (incorrectly sending off two Tyrone players) when Tyrone were comfortably ahead.  The sendings off won Amragh the game.

Of course the ref incorrectly sending off an Armagh player or one of our first choice midfielders having his career ended by one of the referees "mistakes" would have had no impact at all.  ::)

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

nrico2006

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 09, 2010, 04:23:59 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2010, 09:03:58 AM

Of course the ref incorrectly sending off an Armagh player or one of our first choice midfielders having his career ended by one of the referees "mistakes" would have had no impact at all.  ::)

Facts are that Tyrone were well ahead until the sending offs, things changed as soon as the two main forwards on the pitch went and Armagh won.  The midfielder ehose career was ended was not hurt intentially, it was a freak accident more than anything.  These things happen, look at John Fashanu.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bensars

watched this game at the  weekend and one the things that i had forgot about was the fact of armagh wearing "normal" fitting jerseys. The final may have been the last time. The tighter fitting jerseys definatley had the effect of making them look a much more muscular team.
Was impressed by mc geeney in the last quarter, forgot how much Dublin missed down the stetch. Shows the effect confidence can have on a player with the subsequent demise of Cosgrove.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Kerry going for their 5-in-a-row on now (vs Offaly, 1982).

1980 semi-final, Kerry 4-15; Offaly 4-10.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Frank Casey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2011, 08:08:45 PM
Kerry going for their 5-in-a-row on now (vs Offaly, 1982).

1980 semi-final, Kerry 4-15; Offaly 4-10.

You got excited there didn't you ;)
KERRY 3:7