All Ireland Gold TG4

Started by Jinxy, May 23, 2009, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Meath v Mayo 1996!
It's a nice evening, so I'd suggest all Mayo folk go out and sit in the garden and don't be torturing themselves watching this.  :o
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ildanach

i was going to go to lough derg but i did my penance and suffering for the year this evening. I managed 60 mins of it  :(
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

m@yoman

Minder

Tonight 11.35pm - Donegal v Derry 1992 Ulster Final
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Wasn't the 1993 ulster final played in the muck of clones?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Orangemac

Announcer has just read out Munster final score of Clare 2-08 Kerry 0-09 twice. Mustn't have believed it himself  ;D.

Don't remember this game even though I was at it. Poor fare so far and 93 game also although conditions were impossible.

This Derry team and Armagh team of 99-06 were seen as underachievers by winning only 1 AI.

Although Donegal deserved to beat Dubliin in 92 final, did they overacheive in winning 1 Sam?

McEniff was some manager though, particularly the way he turned them round in 2003.

donelli

the old hill is some sight.
serious crowd there

donelli

the whole crowd seem to be sitting on the steps of the o'duffy terrace (town end)
very disciplined

lynchbhoy

was at it myself and watching last nights re-run only convinced me that despite the ref incorrectly sending off cunningham, he rode Derry by giving soft frees to Donegal and the cute hoors took 5-10 yards for at least three of them that ended in them just going over the bar.
but apart from 1993 Derry have been consistent in their play like this before and since this 1992 game !

mackers

Watched this last night..........these boys saying that football now isn't as good as in previous years need to watch a few of these programmes. I thought the standard was poor, as HS says the kick passing was brutal, it was a matter of hoofing it as far as you could. McKeever, Quinn and Scullion was a handy full back line though.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Goldengreen

Quote from: ross4life on August 05, 2010, 12:20:32 AM
Wasn't the 1993 ulster final played in the muck of clones?

Yea 1993 was a right muck fest, should have not been played (but seeing as we lost I would say that) as far as I remember in the minor game a young lad broke his leg due to the conditions.

Ah 1992 good times indeed :-)

tonesfirstandlast

Did any of ytou see GAA GOLD last night on TG4. Some of our legends from 1993 wouldn't have been happy with it being shown, some reputations badly tarnished. And what about the management?
Mackers, Danny Quinn at full back was brutal  and the ginger gave Scullion a roasting.

magpie seanie

Watched about 5 minutes of it and it was chronic stuff. Hoof it up the field and other side win it and do likewise. Was like a bad tennis match. Most of the kicks weren't within 20 yards of a team mate!

norabeag

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 05, 2010, 11:59:55 AM
Watched about 5 minutes of it and it was chronic stuff. Hoof it up the field and other side win it and do likewise. Was like a bad tennis match. Most of the kicks weren't within 20 yards of a team mate!
Must agree with a lot of what was said but Donegal were so superior in the second half. And much as he is wee shite on the TV McHugh was head and shoulders above anyone else
But as regards the kicks not being within 20 yards of a team mate just take a look at the six minute clip posted on another thread today. ( Blast from the past). This was theOffally Kerry 1982 (Darby) final. The passing was atrocious

magpie seanie

McHugh was a genius alright, virtually managed that team as well as played. It amazed me last night watching the game as Donegal had the reputation of being a hand passing team (in my mind at least) but the bit I saw disproved that. Amazing how your memory plays tricks on you.