All Ireland Gold TG4

Started by Jinxy, May 23, 2009, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

I can wait for the two years Frank, no prob!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Offalylad

Hmmm, wouldn't call some of that kicking sublime.

Frank Casey

KERRY 3:7

Fear ón Srath Bán

Gaffer

Was watching it there.

Those players all look like 40 year old farmers,
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Mike Sheehy

They were proper footballers back then. There isn't a footballer from any of those puke Ulster sides that ye have spent the thread blathering about that would be fit to lace Matt Connor's boots.............and I say that as a Kerryman !

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 29, 2011, 11:10:10 PM
They were proper footballers back then. There isn't a footballer from any of those puke Ulster sides that ye have spent the thread blathering about that would be fit to lace Matt Connor's boots.............and I say that as a heart-pining nostalgic Kerryman !

Fixed that for ya!

clarshack

They were proper footballers back then. There isn't a footballer from any of those puke Ulster sides that ye have spent the thread blathering about that would be fit to lace Matt Connor's boots.............and I say that as a Kerryman !

matt connor is the one footballer i would love to have seen playing. real pity what happened to him.

Bord na Mona man

Does anyone know what year the overhand push handpass was outlawed? Most of them were borderline throws.
You could see that players looked really awkward doing the standard fist pass and oftentimes they get very little distance on it.
A few years later the standard of fist pass improved when they weren't allowed the push pass.

There was some amount of hoofing tennis done in the 1980 game. Reading 'Kings of September', Eugene McGee put a huge emphasis on trying to reduce blind kicking and possession turnovers between then and 1982. The concept must have been very alien to the players of that vintage.

Again these re-runs show how far off the mark Pat Spillane is about players being able to comfortably kick 40 yards points back then and failing nowadays through lack of kicking practice.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2011, 11:13:18 PM
They were proper footballers back then. There isn't a footballer from any of those puke Ulster sides that ye have spent the thread blathering about that would be fit to lace Matt Connor's boots.............and I say that as a heart-pining nostalgic Kerryman !

Fixed that for ya!

maybe you are not young enough but, yes, my heart pines for football in an age where where one man can contest a ball with another man and the crowd would roar....the game is lesser for it...

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 30, 2011, 12:29:07 AM
Does anyone know what year the overhand push handpass was outlawed? Most of them were borderline throws.
You could see that players looked really awkward doing the standard fist pass and oftentimes they get very little distance on it.
A few years later the standard of fist pass improved when they weren't allowed the push pass.

There was some amount of hoofing tennis done in the 1980 game. Reading 'Kings of September', Eugene McGee put a huge emphasis on trying to reduce blind kicking and possession turnovers between then and 1982. The concept must have been very alien to the players of that vintage.

Again these re-runs show how far off the mark Pat Spillane is about players being able to comfortably kick 40 yards points back then and failing nowadays through lack of kicking practice.

maybe you stopped watching when Offaly faded.... :o ...  have a look at some of those old games e.g '84, '85 and before ...those AI where spillane himself,among others, launched some classic scores. I can understand revisionism from the newbies but I have never understood it from the old hands. I can appreciate the difference in fitness and the overall increase in standards i.e leveling out of inter county standards  but are you going to tell me that the following players would not dominate the scene if they had their time over again ?...Tony Hananhoe, Jack O'Shea, Pat Spillane, Matt Connor, Jimmy Barry Murphy, Dermot Earley, Johnny Corvan, Willie Joe Padden, Peter McGinnity ...?   They would wipe the floor with any modern counterparts. I'm sick of this revisionism...I've seen them all and I guarantee they would still dominate given any modern training regime you propose....unless, of course, your primary aim was to stop them. Then you would win. I suppose your cynical 5  yard passes from your full-back line will always defeat those 40 yard "hoofed" passes. More power to you...you are welcome to it.

Mike Sheehy

did you see that swivel by Matt Connor to score that goal ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxA4skIGJ4

thats whats missing from the modern game...that touch of class. We dont mind being beaten by a push on the back as long as its
done with some class !

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2011, 07:36:50 AM

maybe you stopped watching when Offaly faded.... :o ...  have a look at some of those old games e.g '84, '85 and before ...those AI where spillane himself,among others, launched some classic scores. I can understand revisionism from the newbies but I have never understood it from the old hands. I can appreciate the difference in fitness and the overall increase in standards i.e leveling out of inter county standards  but are you going to tell me that the following players would not dominate the scene if they had their time over again ?...Tony Hananhoe, Jack O'Shea, Pat Spillane, Matt Connor, Jimmy Barry Murphy, Dermot Earley, Johnny Corvan, Willie Joe Padden, Peter McGinnity ...?   They would wipe the floor with any modern counterparts. I'm sick of this revisionism...I've seen them all and I guarantee they would still dominate given any modern training regime you propose....unless, of course, your primary aim was to stop them. Then you would win. I suppose your cynical 5  yard passes from your full-back line will always defeat those 40 yard "hoofed" passes. More power to you...you are welcome to it.
There is no revisionism, there was never an era where players were consistently kicked long range points with ease.
Spillane himself might have kicked great points, but he stuck plenty of shots into the Nally Stand, even with more time and space then you'd get in the modern game.
All those old hands would do well in any era, but the collective intelligence of teams just wasn't to the same level back then.

Jinxy

What's the opposite of revisionism?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stibhan

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2011, 12:39:13 PM

What's the opposite of revisionism?

Er... post-nationalism or post-colonialism  :-\