Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

saw Holmes, Gormley, Dooher, McGuigan and Gourley all training at the Mid Ulster Sports arena today. All of them looked very sharp. Sprinting up and down very steep hills flat out. Doing lots of short sprint work on mucky grass. By the looks of things it wont be long untill they are all back.

youbetterbelieveit

Something similiar should be done in every county and parish.

Red Hands work on school ties

02/01/2007 11:33:04
Tyrone GAA has launched a new initiative to secure greater co-operation between clubs and primary schools in the Red Hand County.

The O'Neill's football development officer, Anne Dooher, sister of intercounty captain Brian, has set the ball rolling after a survey showed that 45 percent of the county's clubs have no links with their feeder schools.

Ms Dooher has urged all the clubs in Tyrone to make a concerted effort, now that the club scene has quietened down, to establish strong working links with their local school(s).

According to Ms Dooher, the goal is to attract more children into the clubs and work on skill development, thus ensuring the future health of Gaelic games in the county.

youbetterbelieveit

Homepage| Counties | Search | Message Board | Results 

Harte opts for new blood

Mickey Harte
03 January 2007

Mickey Harte has included a massive 17 new faces in his Tyrone squad for the forthcoming McKenna Cup campaign.

With the likes of team captain Brian Dooher, Conor Gormley, Brian McGuigan, Colin Holmes, Ciaran Gourley, John Devine and Colm McCullagh currently sidelined through injury and Philip Jordan in Australia, Harte is expected to hand a number of players their debuts in Sunday's McKenna Cup opener against Queen's University at Healy Park.

Among the new additions are Niall Gormley (Trillick), Paul Marlow (Eskra), Cathal McCarron (Omagh) and Damien 'Daisy" McDermott (Errigal Ciaran). Sean Cavanagh's younger brother Colm has also been added to the squad.

Harte has indicated that a number of the new recruits are likely to feature in the National League as well.

"There's nothing set in stone, and because of the long-term injuries to established players, who will not be returning all at the same time, it's likely that some of these people will be in the league panel for at least some of the time until we see how the returning players are progressing," he said.

Harte added: "We had a comprehensive look at club football in Tyrone since we went out of the championship last July. We had a fairly extensive trial programme and we put a lot of time and effort into coming to our conclusions."

sam03/05

sam03/05

just saw the full squad there on another post. No room in the panel for Phily Toner from Coalisland. That is a big surprise for me as he has been one of the best players in Tyrone this year and much better than some of the names in that list.

Gabriel_Hurl

D.Carlin(Killyclogher),
C Colhoun(Pomeroy),
C Donnelly(Clonoe),
Niall Gormley(Trillick),
D Harte(E Ciaran),
K Hughes(Donaghmore),
K Hughes(Killeeshil)
P Marlow(Eskra),
R Mellon(Moy)
M Murphy(Galbally)
O Mulligan(Cookstown)
A Mc Carron(Fintona)
C Mc Carron(Omagh)
D Mc Caul (Donaghmore)
P Mc Connell (Newtownstewart),
C Mc Crory (Galbally)
D Mc Dermott(E Ciaran)
S Cavanagh(Moy)
B Boggs (Owen Roes)
M Mc Gee (Loughmacrory)
C Mc Ginley(E Ciaran)
E Mc Ginley(E Ciaran)
T Mc Guigan (Ardboe)
P McGurk(Cookstown)
R Mc Menamin (Dromore)
S Oneill (Clann na Gael)
M Penrose (Aghyaran)
P Quinn (E Ciaran)
P Rouse (Brackaville)
D Treanor(Dungannon)

tyroneman

Thank God we now have a half decent squad to get somebackup from. Can't see too many new faces overtake the main 15 if everyone is fit, although LCB / RHB, 1 MF and 1/2 forward spaces could be looked at.

We need to get rid of some deadwood in the squad that has sat for too long - the media talk about strength in depth for Tyrone and this is true - we do have great depth, just that MH did not have them in the squad last year.

BTW - what's happeneing with Colm McCullogh? Is he playing soccer at present?

DuperDee

Looks to be a good panel. There will always be soem disagreement but it looks promising when you think that the other college players and the injured players are to be included.At least some of the dead wood of the last few years are gone - the likes of Bradley, Devlin, Brendan Donnelly, the meenans. Its a long time since there was a trillick player on the senior panel

Any word on whether Harte has freshened up the backroom team. I know from talking to some of the players that they were unhappy with the quality of training over the past 2 years. They never felt it was up to county standard and said that they took too long to get fit. The ones i know said that in 2005 it was only through so many games that they eventually got up to championship shape but a few of the older heads dont want a long slog this year. I heard they were asking for some additions to training last year but then things ended earlier than expected. Any word out there of additions to the training staff.

DuperDee

Quote from: gaelicman on December 20, 2006, 09:40:39 AM
Can anyone update a total list of managers for the various teams in Tyrone?There are so many changes across all divisions.Very hard to keep track of them all.

Any word on any big changes. Heard that McGinn is staying with Dromore for another year and Corrigan is to stay with Carrickmore. Heard recently that Roger Keenan is to 'help' train Ardboe. Dont know if this is just rumour but I think that he cannot take a team on his own because of his job. Ardboe would be a bit out of the way for him but if he works in Belfast all the time it may be OK.

Any word on Errigal. There was some talk from one of the Omagh lads that I know that their managers were being considered by some in the club, but others wanted Canavan to do it, and as of Christmas he had not agreed.

loughshore lad

Quote from: DuperDee on January 03, 2007, 03:21:59 PM
Quote from: gaelicman on December 20, 2006, 09:40:39 AM
Can anyone update a total list of managers for the various teams in Tyrone?There are so many changes across all divisions.Very hard to keep track of them all.

Heard recently that Roger Keenan is to 'help' train Ardboe. Dont know if this is just rumour but I think that he cannot take a team on his own because of his job. Ardboe would be a bit out of the way for him but if he works in Belfast all the time it may be OK.

Ardboe management will not be confirmed until the convention on Monday night - loads of rumours flying about at the moment. Roger Keenan took a session or two last season - he is mates with Paddy McGuigan who was the boss last year and was/is keen to stay on. Maybe Paddy is trying to get Roger on board - I know a lot of people felt Padddy required some additional help.

sam03/05

mcginn of danaghmore and Toner of coalisland should be in that squad head of some of the others. Also where is Johnnt Curran?

ClosetotheHarte

Surprised too that Philly Toner isn't getting a run in the McKenna Cup - assume he'll be seen as a key player for the Under-21's this year. Still has time on his side. Cathal McCarron (Dromore) and Niall McGinn also can't be far away from getting an opportunity, although they're two more who could maybe do with a big year in the Under-21's. Pity Gareth Devlin won't be involved because of Stewartstown's run. He looked like a real prospect in 2006 and I'm looking forward to seeing what 2007 has in store for him.
Refreshing to see MH giving so many new, young and hungry players the chance to shine in the McKenna Cup. Fair play to the management for really opening the door to the young talent in Tyrone (we have plenty of it coming through, so it's going to be nice to get a good look at some of them) - and hopefully they will be rewarded. The back-up pool could look really promising in the Tyrone squad in 2007.

On the management side of things, Tony Collins (ex-Fermanagh player) has been installed as Killyclogher's new boss. Also heard late last night that Paddy McGuigan was close to being appointed at a club in West Tyrone. Was warned not to say anything by the person I spoke to, so I can't mention his club. Also, don't know how true it is.

Came across the new 'Gaelic Life' site today while I was browsing and when I was reading the editor's message I couldn't believe this sentence:
"Last year's competition attracted record numbers of supporters with over 20,000 attending the game between then All-Ireland champions Derry and their close rivals Armagh."

ONeill

Noticed that myself a while ago. I wonder if Shannon is having a laugh here?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

hightower

Seen alot of 1b football in tyrone 2006,thought Crozier of M/town should have got a chance with county squad,i also hear P mc Guigan IS away to manage Omagh St Endas

never kickt a ball

Have a look at the photos from the County Presentation in the link below:

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/countyboard/news/story.jsp?newsid=276

The first photo is particularly interesting - The women are completely ignored. It's a MANS World?