Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Final Whistle

Gallagher quits gaelic

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryDungannon Swifts soccer player JP Gallagher has turned his back on Gaelic football because he can no longer tolerate the verbal abuse from some referees, many of them also exerting unfair influence which can often determine the results of games.
Those are strong accusations from the Strabane Sigersons player and he admits he has done a lot of soul-searching before going public about his grievances. But it's the right thing to do, says the player who celebrated his 25th birthday on Saturday playing in a pre-season game for Swifts against Wrexham.
Strabane have been trying to talk him into having a change of heart but airing his views in the Tyrone Times is his way of answering them, insists Gallagher.
And anyone who is tempted to condemn him for speaking out should be aware that the Dungannon fullback, off to Lithuania today for a second leg UEFA Cup tie against FK Suduva, has shown remarkable commitment to the Sigersons – only to have it thrown back in his face by a variety of referees.
The night before his wedding two years ago he played a match with Strabane reserves and the night after the ceremony he played for the senior team. The week before last he played in Europe with Swifts on Thursday and risked the possibility of injury denying participation in the return leg by playing in the championship against Killyman.
Stories are legendary about his selfless endeavours to help the club, like driving at 120mph on the motorwayfrom a match in Bangor so as to make it to Brackaville for an intermediate league clash.
But he's determined won't be making sacrifices like these anymore – and all because of whistlers who do nothing to bring pride to their jersey.
"I'm jacking it in for good because, and I hate to have to say this, of the stick I've been getting from some referees" he told me, despite my advice that should he change his mind in the future things won't get any better for him.
"My mind is made up. Manager Liam Sweeney and others at the club, while acknowledging the hurt the referees have caused, have been trying to encourage me to have a change of heart – but it's not going to happen and this is my way of convincing them that I'm out of it for good.
"It's not nice when referees unfairly and deliberately give decisions against you and, adding insult to injury, when you even look in their direction let alone go to complain, they tell you to 'get up and shut up you soccer b-----d'.
"There's one guy, who must be holding a grudge since he played against us more than ten years ago, and I don't ever remember us winning a game when he was in charge – and I always get abuse from him.
"In a crucial match last year, for example, we were leading into stoppage time and the referee gave them two frees from about 45m. Against a strong breeze they were always going to fall short and he whistled immediately to give two 13m frees, for what seemed like nothing, and they won.
"In another championship match we were five points down and came back with a goal and a point and were pressing for more with a minute to go. A cracking shot came back off the bar and one of our guys caught it and was pushed in the back, but the referee denied us the penalty we deserved.
"One of the main problems with referees in Gaelic football is that they can have far too much influence in determining results.
"And the guys who appoint them don't seem to care too much about who's in charge of which games. For example, the week before a championship game they sent a referee from the club we were due to play to take charge of our match in the league.
"By accident or design, the decisions he made seemed to almost all favour the opposition, who were guilty of some very rough play that went unpunished. It seemed to me like he was looking for an excuse to send some of us off. A home player busted me in the mouth in front of the referee and he just ignored it.
"Some referees are pretty good and very fair, and I say about some who were in charge even in games we have lost. But they are tarnished with same brush as the bad guys, who definitely bring the game into disrepute – and nobody in officialdom seems to care.
"Why can't they bring in referees from adjacent counties like Donegal or Derry or Armagh – and send our referees to their games. That would surely cut down on the damage that's being done through their dislike of individual personalities or particular clubs.
"I'm not just griping about a few incidents; I've been called a soccer b-----d by referees in excess of fifty times, mostly accompanied by bad decisions against me, and I'm just afraid that my frustration will cause me to do something I'll regret in the heat of the moment.
"So I'm jacking it in before that happens. I'm sorry that's how it is, but it's not a problem of my making. In speaking out, I'm hoping that these same referees will change their attitude to other players in the same position as myself" added Gallagher.
Last Updated: 31 July 2007 9:36 AM

Lad has a point!!! Get in outside county referees!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

orangeman

I've been calling on for outside referees for a long time now - it's sad to hear that this lad has to endure this from referees - he is obviously a very committed player and has gone to enormous lengths to play -

Uladh

It's probably been proposed before but would a county swap for the championships not work? for example, the best 10 refs from armagh ref the championships in Tyrone and viceversa. that way, the refs should have much less of a knowledge of the players, with the obvious exception of county players. assesors from the host counties can give feedback without being influenced by personalities and the referees themselves should be motivated to produce their best when "representing" their county.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I was at the games JP's referring to, and was disgusted at the refereeing, and that's not just because of the Strabane angle.

This needs to be sorted, it's not smart to drive away footballing talents because of a mean-minded prejudice as demonstrated by some officials; the county will suffer as a whole for the repulsion of the few.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

neutral

Thats some serious allegations he has made.  Shocking if true.  This would need to be investigated. Was he not quitting anyway though?  The Tyrone Times gently continues to turn the screw. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: neutral on July 31, 2007, 11:51:26 AM
Was he not quitting anyway though? 

No, I don't believe so, not completely. He might have had periods out, but always returning. Not now.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Final Whistle

its obvious that there are some twisted cu*ts with whistles out there that use them to exact some vandettas that they have against "star" players!!!! It is sad that these "referees" give the whole lot a bad name. However, the buck has to stop with Hughes, he co ordinates them so the blame must rest with him!!! No doubt about it! this is his doing!!! :-[ :-[ :-[

orangeman

Why is there no league football until 19th August ? And then after that there seems to be a further break to 2nd September ?

orangeman

Hughes wouldn't be behind the door either when it comes to personal vendettas either - ask Dromore when he famously pulled all referees out from referreing Dromore games which I thought was an outrageuos move given that he was the onlyv one who wanted that. The next game involving Dromore, he walked off the pitch ( against Ardboe ) - this was simply part of his onging campaign against Dromore and Ardboe -

neutral

I thought he had a great county final last year.  If this type of officialdom exists then we are in trouble.  But I say if

snappiered

Orangeman how did Brians operation go last Wednesday. It was an unplanned op wasnt it? Was he assisting a wee bit with the Ardboe managment for a while there? Does Mickey Harte be in contact with Brian much?
We really miss him on the playing fields. Hope he can make a full recovery. Is it likely orangeman?

orangeman

The operation was unplanned as he developed a tear in the retina again - so he had to go the Royal and had an operation on last Thursday - he had a reapir done to the retina, a gas bubble inserted and had his natural lens removed which was wrecked by the impact - he will need an artificial lens inserted alter on - that will require a further operation -
The big downside is that Brian has to physically lie face down for 14 days which will be very very uncomfortable - regretably he is going through a real tough time -
Mickey Harte and the Tyrone boys do keep in touch ok - he was at training a time or two as well I believe - all we can do is hope and pray that his sight comes back again and maybe he'll play some football again next year.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: orangeman on July 31, 2007, 11:00:03 AM
it's sad to hear that this lad has to endure this from referees - he is obviously a very committed player and has gone to enormous lengths to play -

Admittley im not Strabanes biggest fan as we always struggle when we have to play them, but i agree with the above comment about JP.  I can recall 2 games when we where playing Strabane and JP showed up just before half time and came on to play the 2nd half after he had played a soccer game for the Swifts.  His committment to Strabane GFC in my book cannot be questioned.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Skra-Man

wel lads im only new here. has any body anu idea what the craic is with the u-21's this year. WHen's it start and who's in what grade?
An Eascair Cumann Eimead

na cleirigh

regarding referess, trillick dungannon game on sunday. i'll say no more.
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught