Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

I take it then O'Neill that the article was published in London too?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bigfrank

any link for the above article lads??

Norf Tyrone

I was searching online for a link but couldn't get one. I found this though about Ricey. Perhaps it's a 'Noah' momment but a good read.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article4793585.ece

bigfrank

thanks Norf,i searched myself for a link but couldnt find it either,im not that lazy lol:)

ONeill

It's in the NI version of the paper today. They don't seem to do it online anymore. Worth getting lads. Very honest interview. Harsh words for Aghyaran as well as horrific details of the injuries and recovery.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ONeill on December 28, 2008, 11:49:29 AM
It's in the NI version of the paper today. They don't seem to do it online anymore. Worth getting lads. Very honest interview. Harsh words for Aghyaran as well as horrific details of the injuries and recovery.

This will open an old spat again I'd say then. Hopefully Aghyaran get a right to reply somehow.

ONeill

Don't want to be sensationalist and pick out the bits that are irrelevant but he recounts the phonecall with the fella who tackled him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

loughshore lad

Quote from: KIDDO 4 on December 27, 2008, 11:56:34 PM
Is Mickey Donnelly going to manage Ardboe.

Yes

Quote from: ONeill on December 28, 2008, 10:21:43 AM
Worth getting the The Sunday Times (London) today for an article on Brian McGuigan.

Great article alright O'Neill.  Good insight into some of the circumstances he has had to overcome as last few years.

orangeman

Tyrone legend Peter Canavan has ventured into management for the first time.

The former Red Hands skipper has been appointed manager of Errigal Ciaran, the club with which he won two Ulster Club Championship titles as a player.

Canavan led Tyrone to a first All-Ireland title in 2003, and was once again a key figure in the county's second Sam Maguire Cup success two years later.

He announced his retirement from inter-county football immediately after that 2005 triumph, and retired from club football at the end of the 2007 season.

Acknowledged as one of the game's greatest ever attackers, Canavan won six All Star awards, and represented Ireland in the International Rules series.

In his new role, he will work with a number of players with whom he tasted All-Ireland success as a player, including current Tyrone stars Enda McGinley, Davy Harte and John Devine.

When Canavan won his last provincial club title in 2003, Errigal were managed by Mickey Harte, who has since gone on to guide Tyrone to three All-Ireland titles.

KIDDO 4

Tyrone forward Brian McGuigan says he feared he would never play football again during his long absence from the game.

The three-time All-Ireland winner suffered a number of injuries, including a broken leg, after the 2005 All-Ireland victory. However, the most serious problem occurred when he damaged his eye in a challenge game for his club. McGuigan came close to losing his sight and he says he feels he will never get back to the level of play which cemented his reputation as one of the game's most intelligent and cerebral attackers.

"You're saying to yourself, 'You were that good and now you can never be that good again'," he says in an interview with The Sunday Times.

"I will never be the same player again because I can't fully see on my left side. I could have seen somebody making a run out of the corner of my eye before but I have to see him directly now and that might be too late. I'm fully aware of that but I still feel I can do a job for Tyrone."

Of his time out during his eyes problems, which lasted for almost two years, McGuigan said: "A year and a half ago, I never thought I'd get back to where I was,"

"Even just kicking a ball around the garden would have been enough. But to feature in an All-Ireland final was unbelievable.

"I was near enough to tears because I was saying to myself, 'Is this really happening?'. Having that time on my own afterwards was something I had to do. Because I never thought I'd be back."

The injury to his eye happened when playing for his club Ardboe against Aghyaran and an opposition player made a reckless, late challenge.

McGuigan is still bitter about the incident and the response from the club and player involved, who failed to even ring the centre-forward.

"If he's low enough not to ring me, that's up to him but he has to live with it too, at the end of the day," he said.

"He didn't mean to do that much damage but I'm still angry about what happened that day. This boy comes out and does damage to some boy who plays with the county. Then that boy is shouting for you in the summer - but it seems to be a big part of club football in Tyrone that the county players get a lot of hassle in games.

"You never really hear of it happening in other counties that county players are getting so intimidated in club football."

Old Bill

Great article on Brian Mc guigan in todays British times. Felt really sorry for him. Has done class
Quote from: KIDDO 4 on December 28, 2008, 08:19:26 PM
Tyrone forward Brian McGuigan says he feared he would never play football again during his long absence from the game.

The three-time All-Ireland winner suffered a number of injuries, including a broken leg, after the 2005 All-Ireland victory. However, the most serious problem occurred when he damaged his eye in a challenge game for his club. McGuigan came close to losing his sight and he says he feels he will never get back to the level of play which cemented his reputation as one of the game's most intelligent and cerebral attackers.

"You're saying to yourself, 'You were that good and now you can never be that good again'," he says in an interview with The Sunday Times.

"I will never be the same player again because I can't fully see on my left side. I could have seen somebody making a run out of the corner of my eye before but I have to see him directly now and that might be too late. I'm fully aware of that but I still feel I can do a job for Tyrone."

Of his time out during his eyes problems, which lasted for almost two years, McGuigan said: "A year and a half ago, I never thought I'd get back to where I was,"

"Even just kicking a ball around the garden would have been enough. But to feature in an All-Ireland final was unbelievable.

"I was near enough to tears because I was saying to myself, 'Is this really happening?'. Having that time on my own afterwards was something I had to do. Because I never thought I'd be back."

The injury to his eye happened when playing for his club Ardboe against Aghyaran and an opposition player made a reckless, late challenge.

McGuigan is still bitter about the incident and the response from the club and player involved, who failed to even ring the centre-forward.

"If he's low enough not to ring me, that's up to him but he has to live with it too, at the end of the day," he said.

"He didn't mean to do that much damage but I'm still angry about what happened that day. This boy comes out and does damage to some boy who plays with the county. Then that boy is shouting for you in the summer - but it seems to be a big part of club football in Tyrone that the county players get a lot of hassle in games.

"You never really hear of it happening in other counties that county players are getting so intimidated in club football."

to get back.

bridgegael

just wanna wish mickey donnelly all the best with taking over Ardboe.  Arboe will not go far wrong with mickey taking charge. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Norf Tyrone

Is the article posted by Kiddo and OB the article from yesterday? Seems like a rehash of an old one??

Old Bill

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 29, 2008, 02:14:51 PM
Is the article posted by Kiddo and OB the article from yesterday? Seems like a rehash of an old one??
No its not, I read the hard copy of it yesterday but cant find the online version. dunno where the piece above came from

clarshack

can anyone tell me did Peter McDonell & Malachy O'Rourke win anything with Errigal?