Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: aroundincircles on December 16, 2008, 10:47:36 PM
good luck to them 22 turned up to their convention last sunday.

Whos convention was this?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Zapatista

Quote from: ziggysego on December 17, 2008, 11:55:40 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 17, 2008, 10:06:52 AM
Ziggy, quick question - those jerseys Greencastle were wearing in the U21 final - whose idea was it for those colours and design?  :o

That was the first jersey that a Greencastle team played in back 1932. Back then we were called Erin's Hope.

Picture?

orangeman

Zapatista

Cheers Fionntamhnach. I don't know what to make of them.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

goal and a point

Quote from: supersub on December 17, 2008, 03:49:05 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on December 17, 2008, 09:44:08 AM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on December 17, 2008, 07:36:23 AM
Quote from: supersub on December 17, 2008, 01:14:37 AM
john rafferty new manager of rostrevor apparently, any word on any other appointments?

Don't think so - he has recently taken over Errigal Ciarán.

Maybe I was a bit presumptous - just found this on Tyrone section

Quote from: EC Unique on December 16, 2008, 05:42:38 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on December 15, 2008, 08:49:37 PM
Quote from: midnightcaller on December 15, 2008, 06:26:23 PM
Anybody hear the rumour about Rafferty and Errigal.... Was it to good to be true?

Just heard that Rafferty turned Errigal down on fri,not sure of the reasons tho:)

This is true. He told the club that he had a re-think and decided to go back on his decision :-\.... Dissappointing but Im sure we will not be left managerless

he was deff appointed rostrevor manager as of yesterday, think he was even in rostrevor last night so i heard!

Heard last night john rafferty away to rostrevor - must have been more money

Zapatista

It's not a very good diguise, they look exactly like them.

It was a nice thing to do Ziggy.

bigfrank

Harte calls on new faces
18 December 2008

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has welcomed some fresh blood into the O'Neill County fold for the forthcoming McKenna Cup campaign.

The players will be afforded an opportunity to break into the panel for the league and championship once the All-Ireland holders regroup at the start of January.

The following have been called up: Peter McGahan (Killyman), Martin Swifts (Killyclogher), Conor O'Donnell and Jason McAnulla (Omagh), Niall McGinn (Eskra), Gareth Devlin (Stewartstown), Ryan O'Neill (Clonoe) and Aidan Cassidy (Augher).

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tyrone County Convention

The Tyrone County Convention took place in the Ryandale, Moy on Tuesday 16th December. Following the various reports from the Secretary, Treasurer and Chairman the following officers were elected to serve during 2009.

Cathaoirleach/Chairman
Pat Darcy (An Taite Riabhach)

Leas Cathaoirleach/Vice-Chairman
Ciaran McLaughlin (An Srath Bán)

Rúnai/Secretary
Dominic McCaughey (Trí Leac)

Leas Rúnai/Assistant Secretary
Michael McCaughey (Trí Leac)

Cisteoir/Treasurer
Michael Harvey (Cabhán a'Chaorthainn)

Leas Cisteoir/Assistant Treasurer
Seamus McDonald (Coill an Chlochair)

Teachta Ard Chomhairle/Central Council Delegate
Brendan Harkin (Coill an Chlochair)

Teachtaí Comhairle Uladh/Ulster Council Delegates
Liam Nelis (Éadán na dTorc)
Cuthbert Donnelly (Achadh Lú)

Oifigeach Caidreamh/Poiblí PRO
Damian Harvey (An Chorra Chríóchach)

Oifigeach na nÓg/Youth Officer
Kieran McHugh (Achadh Uí Arain)

Oifigeach Oiliúna/Coaching Development Officer
Enda Kilpatrick (Cabhán a'Chaorthainn)

Oifigeach Forbartha/Developement Officer
Cathal Daly (Eaglais)

Oifigeach Cultúr & Teanga/Culture Officer
Donal Magee (Coill an Chlochair)

Chairman Pat Darcy's Speech to County Convention 2008

Mar cathaorleach Coiste Chontae Thir Eoghain I am very honoured to be addressing our 2008 Convention in the home of Moy Tir na Og. I thank the Moy club for their hospitality and congratulate them on reaching the historic landmark of 100 years promoting Gaelic Games and Irish culture in Moy parish.

2008 will go down in the annals of Tyrone GAA as an historic year. Winning the All Ireland Senior and Minor titles for the first time, the only Ulster county to do so, was a magnificent achievement.

We are living through a golden age of the GAA in Tyrone.
A question I have frequently been asked is ? What is the secret of Tyrone's success? The answer to that question can be found in Joseph Martin's excellent history of the GAA in Tyrone ? The Long Road to Glory.

Throughout the past year the world watched as America elected its first black President. The struggle of African Americans can be likened to a hurdles race. Generation after generation jumped hurdles to achieve rights and equality. All Barack Obama had to do was jump the last hurdle and sprint to the finishing line, which he did successfully.

Tyrone are successful because previous generations of Gaels jumped hurdles to keep the GAA alive. They did so because they had a vision and sense of purpose driven by a love of Gaelic games; a love of Irish culture, a love of family, parish and community. The bond which held it all together was a love of club and county. In return the GAA gave them a sense of place and a strong identity. They knew who they were, they knew where they come from and they know where they were going.

Tonight we stand together on the eve of the 125 anniversary of club and the 40th anniversary of Scor, with Tyrone at the very top of the GAA. Next year we will celebrate these landmarks and give thanks to all the gaels, past and present, who brought us to this level.

History teaches us that the success of the GAA is dependent on each generation playing their part so as to hand the club and county to the next generation in better shape than what was inherited.

Different times bring different challenges. We know that getting to the top is difficult but staying there is even more difficult. Our county teams, schools and colleges have brought us many successes. The challenge to our generation is to build on those successes.

The county committee is committed to building first class facilities for future generations. Towards this end we have purchased 40 acres of land in Garvaghy to provide a quality centre for training, coaching, games development and county administration. This is a big project. It will challenge all of us over the next few years. We are a big people with ambition to keep Tyrone at the top. This project will help us do that.

Discipline continues to be a major area of concern for our Association. I condemn the ugly scenes which marred this year's county final. These incidents tarnish our games.

A disciplinary system which allows serious offenders to continue playing or coaching until their right to a hearing is implemented does as much damage to the image of our games as the original offence. This is not the individual's fault.

The legalistic minds of the authors of our disciplinary procedures have placed the rights of the individual above the well being of our games. We have in place a system which encourages individuals to challenge sanctions through hearings, appeals and submissions to quasi judicial bodies. It is no longer about sportsmanship and taking your medicine. Appeal! Appeal! Appeal! is the new mantra. All of us need to take a step back and look ourselves.

The new year will see the introduction of experimental disciplinary rules for the National League and ancillary cups. I see no merit in this experiment. Referees have all the powers they need to deal with infringements of playing rules. If there is a problem with referees not applying the rules we need to ask why? Introducing new cards and sanctions is not the solution.

The authority of the referee has been undermined by a plethora of procedures biased in favour of the offender. Subjecting referees decisions to the scrutiny, analysis and interrogation of committees and quasi judicial bodies discourages referees from making hard calls during an instant of play.

Referees need a support system commensurate with their responsibilities. The absence of such a support system is also impacting on our ability to recruit and retain referees.

Our Association must reinvent the disciplinary system to give back power to the referee. We need a system which keeps referees out of the committee rooms and committees out of refereeing. A culture which accepts sanctions as opposed to a culture which challenges sanction is paramount.

The traditional suspension by time is not standardised. It is the source of many hearings and appeals. A committee in one part of our Association may issue a nine months ban but the same offence in another part of the Association may result in a six month ban. A few days or weeks later another committee may reduce these bans by 50 per cent. In this scenario which committee is right? Anecdotal evidence indicates offenders seek hearings, not necessarily to overrule the offence, but to gain a reduction in time. In many cases this is successful as seen in high profile cases in Kerry, Derry and Tyrone.

A pragmatic approach would suggest we shift from judgemental decision making to fixed penalties. Time suspensions should be replaced by match bans. Red card offences would carry a standardised fixed penalty of match bans, the number related to the nature of the offence. The accumulation of single yellow cards should also lead to match bans. No automatic right to hearings or appeals against card offences would be allowed unless there is evidence of a miscarriage of justice.

Moving the emphasis on discipline to the field of play will challenge referees, coaches, players and administrations to focus on the sources and causes of indiscipline.
We lack a data base on issues such as referee and player interactions, gamesmanship, cynical fouling, bad language, verbal abuse, frustration levels and inconsistencies in the application of playing rules; anger management and loss of control.

The presentation and perception of refereeing is important. Perceptions vary from the silent authoritative referee to the verbose whistler who can be heard all over the pitch. In between there is an over reliance on hand signals and body language as a means of communication. Improving the referee's verbal communication with players can reduce frustration and promote discipline. Referees should let players know loud and clear why they are being penalised. Team captains should also be allowed to communicate with referees.

Introducing a pragmatic approach to discipline is not rocket science. It's the way in other sports. Referees deal with discipline on the field of play, players know why they are being penalised and players and coaches accept responsibility for their actions. We must move in this direction.

I pay tribute to all sections of the community for their tolerance of the many flags and bunting displayed across Tyrone to celebrate our All Ireland success. I acknowledge the criticism from a small number of politicians but even they will accept that flags were erected and removed in an orderly and timely fashion.

The visit of the Minister for Culture Arts and Leisure to the St. Brigid's Club in Belfast was a significant step forward in recognising the GAA. However it was disappointing when he took two steps back with his subsequent criticism of the Association. Linking these two issues was an error of judgement on his part.

The Minister reverted to the same old 'broken record syndrome' regarding the naming of trophies, clubs and grounds after individuals who he alleges were involved in violence. The Minister fails to understand the GAA is deeply rooted in real world communities who place importance on remembering significant historical figures. GAA communities are proud of these traditions and no amount of shouting from the sidelines will change this reality.

In the perfect Ireland all names and places would be community friendly. Unfortunately our shared history dictates otherwise. If we can live with the Craigavons, Mountjoys, Kings, Queens, Windsors and Royal Victorias, then I would ask the Minister to tolerate the Casements, Wolfe Tones, Kevin Barrys, Pearses, Sam Maguire and the Clarkes.

I share with the Minister his concern with improving community relations through sport and culture but I disagree that this can best be done by highlighting our differences. We must respect our differences and seek common ground, we can point to positives such as the sharing of Croke Park and give support to the outreach programmes initiated by the Ulster Council with the establishment of the first cross community hurling team in Belfast.

The GAA is committed to inclusivity and are working hard to promote cross community initiatives. In this context I had no difficulty in committing Tyrone GAA to the cross community 'Respect' programme in partnership with BACTIV. This programme aims to encourage children from different backgrounds to respect each other.

Regardless of the efforts by the GAA to reach out, our games continue to be excluded from the sports curriculum of state schools which are predominately Protestant.
My Unionist friends tell me there would be no point because young unionists have no wish to play Gaelic Games. My answer to that comment begins with a question ? How do you know if you do not give them the choice?

In concluding, I thank all those involved with our County administration for their excellent work during the year. I pay tribute to all the coaches and managers of our successful County and College teams. I thank our clubs for the excellent services they provide to their communities and I congratulate all the winners of our competitions including Scor winners.

I express my sympathies to all the families who lost loved ones during the year. Finally I am sure all of you will join with me in our support of the Edendork and Cookstown clubs for the damage caused to their property.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

clarshack

just seen some new video clips on our website at: http://www.harps.org/videos/2008.htm

Gareth Devlin scores some fine points against Moy and Clann na ngael.

Final Whistle

fine footballer who was lacking the temperament of a top class player. With that in tow i expect Gareth Devlin to make ripples on the inter county scene this year!
impossible to contain, 2 feet, quick.....just what the forward needs.

clarshack

Quote from: Final Whistle on December 19, 2008, 11:37:49 AM
fine footballer who was lacking the temperament of a top class player. With that in tow i expect Gareth Devlin to make ripples on the inter county scene this year!
impossible to contain, 2 feet, quick.....just what the forward needs.

he wasnt sent off this year so his discipline seems to have improved.

aroundincircles

Was gareth not sent off against trillick in championship??

clarshack

Quote from: aroundincircles on December 19, 2008, 06:07:34 PM
Was gareth not sent off against trillick in championship??

no, it was nicky park and paul gahan that were sent off that day.

Tyrones own

He looks the business alright...What height is he?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann