Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man Marker

Quote from: Man Marker on March 11, 2016, 09:40:13 AM
Can you hear the bugle blow as the Calvary is sent in in the form of Redhand Santa, as the poster correctly said, Hampsey will sit on the bench all year, however he must have known that he would have to do that as this normally Hartes way.

Unlike yourself I don't count the pre season tournament as proper game time, how can I take you seriously when you think it is. He came on in extra time in the league, about one/two minutes has been his opportunity to develop. But as I said this is Hartes way, most sit for a season to see if they the staying power.

driveherin

McKenna Cup doesn't count you clown!!

redzone

If the McKenna cup doesn't count then your only judging the appearances on 5 weeks football. 30 in a squad and only 15 can start. Come back in sept you halfwit.

driveherin

glorified pre season friendlies...

Mikhailov

Lads, I know we have covered this briefly but that was before congress (what a mess and let down that was) but can anyone confirm 100% what the rules are now regarding 17/18 year olds...

1. I am aware that any county minor can NOT play for his club senior team until County are beat - is that correct?

2. No 17 year old ie; born in 1999 can play adult senior football - is that correct?

3a. Any 18 year old ie; born in 1998 can play senior club football as long as he has passed his 18th birthday before he plays - is that correct?
OR IS IT
3b. Any 18 year old ie; born in 1998 can play senior club football even if he is still 17 as he will turn 18 this year at some stage - is that correct?

Assuming 1 and 2 are correct can someone please clarify which is correct 3a or 3b or neither  :o :o

GlenMan

Quote from: Mikhailov on March 11, 2016, 12:50:54 PM
Lads, I know we have covered this briefly but that was before congress (what a mess and let down that was) but can anyone confirm 100% what the rules are now regarding 17/18 year olds...

1. I am aware that any county minor can NOT play for his club senior team until County are beat - is that correct?

2. No 17 year old ie; born in 1999 can play adult senior football - is that correct?

3a. Any 18 year old ie; born in 1998 can play senior club football as long as he has passed his 18th birthday before he plays - is that correct?
OR IS IT
3b. Any 18 year old ie; born in 1998 can play senior club football even if he is still 17 as he will turn 18 this year at some stage - is that correct?

Assuming 1 and 2 are correct can someone please clarify which is correct 3a or 3b or neither  :o :o

In regards to 17 year old playing - are they allowed to play for the Club Reserve team? Or are they banned from all adult football?

longballin

Quote from: time ticking away on March 11, 2016, 11:48:05 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 11, 2016, 11:03:07 AM
Can you hear the bugle blow as the Calvary is sent in in the form of Redhand Santa, as the poster correctly said, Hampsey will sit on the bench all year, however he must have known that he would have to do that as this normally Hartes way.

But what your saying is complete rubbish. He hasn't set on the bench all year. He's already started 3 games as can be seen below and made appearances twice as a sub. So he is been given chances and who knows if he'll get time in the rest of the league.

Tyrone team v Queens:
Tyrone – N Morgan 0-1 ('45); A McCrory, P Hampsey, HP McGeary 0-1; B Tierney, C Clarke, K McGeary; H Og Conlan, R Donnelly; C McShane, P Harte 0-2, N Sludden; M Bradley, R O'Neill 1-6 (3f), L Brennan 0-6 (5f). Subs: J Monroe 1-0 for Tierney, P McNulty for Sludden, S Cavanagh for Brennan, C McAliskey 1-0 for McShane, J McMahon 0-1 for Clarke

Tyrone team v Derry:
Tyrone: M O'Neill; A McCrory, P Hampsey, J Monroe (0-1); C Clarke, Justin McMahon, N Sludden (0-1); P McNulty, R Donnelly (0-4); D Mulgrew (0-1), P Harte (0-1), K McGeary; D McCurry (0-1), C McAliskey (0-5, 0-5 frees), P Quinn (1-0)

Tyrone team v Fermanagh
1 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo
2 – Jonathan Monroe – An Charraig Mhór
3 – Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a'Ghuail
4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mhór
5 – Niall Sludden – An Droim Mhór
6 – Rory Brennan – Trí Leac
7 – Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
8 – Richard Donnelly – Trí Leac
9 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
10 – David Mulgrew – Ard Bó
11 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chochair
12 – Conor Meyler – An Omaigh
13 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc
14 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo
15 – Mark Bradley – Coill an Chlochair

Tyrone v Derry McKenna Cup final
TYRONE: N Morgan; C McCarron, R McNamee, HP McGeary 0-1; T McCann, Justin McMahon, B Tierney; C Cavanagh, C Clarke; H Óg Conlon, M Donnelly, C McShane 0-3; L Brennan 0-4 2f, R O'Neill 0-1, P Quinn. Subs: P McNulty, C Meyler 0-3 1f, and C McAliskey 0-3f, for Clarke, Quinn and Conlon (H-time), D McCurry 1-3, 1xpen, 1f, for O'Neill (47m), N Sludden 0-2 for McMahon (51m), J Monroe 0-1 for McShane (66m). Extra time subs: K McGeary, C McCann, P Hampsey, McShane

He also came off the bench in the Laois game.
Redhand Santa i wish you were my guardian angel. You're nearly always the first to post an argument against any negative Mickey Harte/County team post. And as your previous post shows you're willing to really take your job seriously

I'd be surprised if Hampsey gets a chance this year. Like now is the time and it ain't happening. 

Redhand Santa

So what exactly is the point you boys are making regarding hampsey? I note the argument moved away from Hugh pat who started in laois. Is the argument that everyone in the squad should get equal time regardless of whether you think they're ready to start? Or that you should only carry a squad of 21 and don't worry about injuries or building players for the future? Or is it that hampsey should be an automatic starter and shouldn't need to work his way into the team? I personally think hampsey is a good prospect by the way and am hoping to see more of him.

Some of the boys who constantly criticise harte on here are the same ones up until 2 years were calling Colm cavanagh brother cavanagh and criticising Harte for sticking by him. I note there's not much talk of nephew Harte any more either.

driveherin

Well my point is that now is the time to look at Hampsey and HP in a competitive environment....rather than waiting until McCrory/McCarron/McNamee get injured and you have to throw them in untested? Not knowing if they are up to it.....
Big difference playing O'Fiach/McKenna Cup and League/Cship. In fairness Harte does like to hold on to guys for the in house games....

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Man Marker on March 11, 2016, 11:50:41 AM

Unlike yourself I don't count the pre season tournament as proper game time, how can I take you seriously when you think it is. He came on in extra time in the league, about one/two minutes has been his opportunity to develop. But as I said this is Hartes way, most sit for a season to see if they the staying power.

Unlike yourself I deal in facts instead of sweeping statements. There's plenty of evidence that you don't have to wait a year. Last year Brennan, Meyler, mcshane and Bradley started championship games in their first year for Tyrone. Others made appearances from the bench such as mcnulty and McCann. That's only one year as an example.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: driveherin on March 11, 2016, 03:04:16 PM
Well my point is that now is the time to look at Hampsey and HP in a competitive environment....rather than waiting until McCrory/McCarron/McNamee get injured and you have to throw them in untested? Not knowing if they are up to it.....
Big difference playing O'Fiach/McKenna Cup and League/Cship. In fairness Harte does like to hold on to guys for the in house games....

I'd like to think Hampsey is assessed in a competitive environment every night at training. Every night these boys go out they're going to be marking the likes of mcurry/skeet/cavanagh/o'neill/bradley/brennan/ - if it was clear in training that Hampsey was doing a better job against these lads than McCrory or McCarron then surely its mad to think that he wouldn't be making the team. Bear in mind that these are top class Tyrone forwards which are better than anything else he'd face in Division 2.

Hampsey is obviously a great prospect with huge potential but in a couple of games he's started to date - Antrim and Derry - i thought he looked a wee bit exposed at times. Obviously that's to be expected in his first few games in a Tyrone shirt but it also shows that he doesn't have a divine right to be starting every game right away.

Finally, if Tyrone win this weekend then that'll be them assured of promotion to Division 1. They'll then have two remaining dead rubber games in Division 2 and I'm sure the likes of Hampsey, Munroe, Hugh Pat etc will all get their chance in these games.

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on March 11, 2016, 03:48:23 PM

I'd like to think Hampsey is assessed in a competitive environment every night at training. Every night these boys go out they're going to be marking the likes of mcurry/skeet/cavanagh/o'neill/bradley/brennan/ - if it was clear in training that Hampsey was doing a better job against these lads than McCrory or McCarron then surely its mad to think that he wouldn't be making the team. Bear in mind that these are top class Tyrone forwards which are better than anything else he'd face in Division 2.

Hampsey is obviously a great prospect with huge potential but in a couple of games he's started to date - Antrim and Derry - i thought he looked a wee bit exposed at times. Obviously that's to be expected in his first few games in a Tyrone shirt but it also shows that he doesn't have a divine right to be starting every game right away.

Finally, if Tyrone win this weekend then that'll be them assured of promotion to Division 1. They'll then have two remaining dead rubber games in Division 2 and I'm sure the likes of Hampsey, Munroe, Hugh Pat etc will all get their chance in these games.

What's all this about Hugh Pat not getting a chance. He started against Antrim and got man of the match, started the McKenna cup final against Derry, came on a half time of the Galway game (Harte was very complementary towards him afterwards) and started the Laois game. Hampsey has made 5 appearances. I think Micky Harte is giving the new men plenty of game time.

redhandefender

This is a stupid point. first and foremost this year is to confirm promotion. Its okay saying that was a foregone conclusion now but if he had played half an experience team and we lost 2 games we would be out of the running by now! Get a win this weekend and take more chances surely.

2nd is we need to be ready for the ulster championship straight of the bat without a run in div 1 against top tier teams. Like it or not harte needs to know his set team very sharply and play them now so we are operating at a high level come May. Like it or not those early cup games are these young lads best chance to shine. Its cruel but that's the problem with being in a competitive county!

Hampsey is a great talent but he will have to bide his time and wait for a chance and take it by the scruff of the neck and maybe take it 1 or 2 more times until harte has full confidence to throw him in at the deep end.

longballin

or Harte needs lads to fill in the training drills...

Redhand Santa

Every squad in the country will have players who will get less game time than others in any given year. It's the same at club level. That's the nature of sport. A lot of the boys who currently aren't starting are relatively young and newish to the county scene, to me that's the way it should be. I don't get what the obsession is with squad players who are obviously happy to be there and in time could well make it.