Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Quote from: Up The Middle on March 06, 2014, 08:56:22 AM
Its pretty much common knowledge that Harte is calling the shots here, they are never going to admit it though, club players will always be treated with contempt and are a hinderance to Harte and his plans. Unless all clubs take a stand together then nothing will happen. You have men in every club who are CB men and they will be pushing their own club just to get on with it and not cause a fuss.

What would every man on here prefer, an O'Neill cup medal with their club, or to watch Tyrone win an All Ireland ( i for one couldnt give a toss if Tyrone never win another one).

They are not mutually exclusive, surely there is a way to accommodate both. I agree the treatment of the club teams has been very unfair. Clonoe scenario last November must have been very embarrassing for the county board, infact emabarassing for gaels in Tyrone as a whole. What would have happened if there had of been a need for a replay? One week to prepare for an Ulster Club match against Ballinderry.
I think the fixtures callender needs addressed with more urgency at Congress & the lead must come from Croke Park. They are quick to change the rules of the game, introduce trials & t**ker at different things over the years - however for far too long the grassroots has been ignored & paid lip service to.
Scrap minor & U21 and introduce a single U19 tournament to combat burnout. The inter county championship starts in May, and finished at the end of September - Far too long! The guts of 4 months to win possibly as little as 6 matches - joke!
Tradition is great but its holding us back.

Redhand Santa

Its pretty much common knowledge that Harte is calling the shots here, they are never going to admit it though, club players will always be treated with contempt and are a hinderance to Harte and his plans. Unless all clubs take a stand together then nothing will happen. You have men in every club who are CB men and they will be pushing their own club just to get on with it and not cause a fuss.

What would every man on here prefer, an O'Neill cup medal with their club, or to watch Tyrone win an All Ireland ( i for one couldnt give a toss if Tyrone never win another one).

This says a lot about the mentality of some sections with in clubs in Tyrone who think everything is against them. Club players are currently being treated badly and the fixtures seriously need looked at. Its a national problem for the gaa not just a county one. If anything Tyrone clubs get a better deal in terms of county player participation than a lot of counties in Ireland. They are availabe for 2/3's of the league games.

It is difficult to get a set in stone set of fixtures in place when planning around county games which are dictated by gaa centrally. If everyone wants a rigid set of fixtures in place then we may have to accept more games without the county players. In my opinion that devalues the games however it has to be considered. I think Harte could be a bit more flexible on the fixtures but don't think he's as bad as sometimes made out here.

The county team has generated huge pride for the county over the last 100 years and has been represnted proudly by wonderful players from clubs up and down the county. There's no doubt the success of the county team over the years has did a lot for the interest in the games in the county. This should be used better to promote club football but I don't get why some people in the county won't support their own club men and their own county. I think part of it may be to do with some sort of grudge over more of their players not being involved.

hugh the root

the county chairman is a junta.do you ever watch him have a conversation with those lunatics under him in the county board;he points finger and acts like a dictator.he has removed several people from posts as they did not succumb to his north tyrone ideas.ii have no doubt it was him who had Micky Harvey removed from his post and his crime was to save the county board a few quid.Bring back Pat D'Arcy as he had the manners and breeding to fill such a post.God help Tyrone if the vice chair ever becomes the chairman in waiting!Enough said!

Up The Middle

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 06, 2014, 10:26:01 AM

This says a lot about the mentality of some sections with in clubs in Tyrone who think everything is against them. Club players are currently being treated badly and the fixtures seriously need looked at. Its a national problem for the gaa not just a county one. If anything Tyrone clubs get a better deal in terms of county player participation than a lot of counties in Ireland. They are availabe for 2/3's of the league games.

It is difficult to get a set in stone set of fixtures in place when planning around county games which are dictated by gaa centrally. If everyone wants a rigid set of fixtures in place then we may have to accept more games without the county players. In my opinion that devalues the games however it has to be considered. I think Harte could be a bit more flexible on the fixtures but don't think he's as bad as sometimes made out here.

The county team has generated huge pride for the county over the last 100 years and has been represnted proudly by wonderful players from clubs up and down the county. There's no doubt the success of the county team over the years has did a lot for the interest in the games in the county. This should be used better to promote club football but I don't get why some people in the county won't support their own club men and their own county. I think part of it may be to do with some sort of grudge over more of their players not being involved.

My opinion has nothing to do with men not making a squad, nor does it have anything to do with anything which has been done to my own club, this is my own personal opinion and i personally would rather see my own club doing well than my county. Having played for the club from the age of 10 surely i am entitled to feel this way, or should i stick on my WJ Dolan jersey and go to Dublin on the rip in September and pretend im there for the love of my county and the GAA.......
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

LeoMc

Quote from: bigtogs on March 05, 2014, 06:33:56 PM
Heard today the All county league could start off with game on easter saturday and a double round of fixtures the next weekend 3 games in 8 days.... seemingly this will occur if Tyrone get to NFL semi-final and are defeated.... can anyone confirm this

Its better than training!

For clubs there are 15 league matches and 4 rounds of Championship to fit in. 
For the County team there will be at least 3 NFL (possibly 5) & at least 2 Championship matches to fit in.
There are only 28 weeks to fit the football in (7 months April to October - 2 weeks for the July holiday) so even with Tyrone going out in the first round of Ulster and the Qualifiers and not making the league semi-finals we have a tight calendar and will have weekends with 2 matches.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Up The Middle on March 06, 2014, 11:51:32 AM

My opinion has nothing to do with men not making a squad, nor does it have anything to do with anything which has been done to my own club, this is my own personal opinion and i personally would rather see my own club doing well than my county. Having played for the club from the age of 10 surely i am entitled to feel this way, or should i stick on my WJ Dolan jersey and go to Dublin on the rip in September and pretend im there for the love of my county and the GAA.......

As I said I agree the club fixtures need looked at but its not just a Tyrone issue. I don't see how your county doing well will impact your club doing well (unless you have 5/6 players with the county team), well certainly not at Tyrone level anyway as all teams will be in the same boat. You can argue that it will effect them in Ulster but this won't be an issue for 90% of clubs.

Its also hard to know how bad it effects them in Ulster. There is a train of thought that teams do better when playing games regularly and therefore the team should be well equipped for the ulster run (unless they decide to go on the drink which is their own decision) after finishing in Tyrone. Perhaps Clonoe got beat by Ballinderry last year because they weren't good enough. On plenty of occassions Tyrone teams have lost after having a couple of weeks to prepare.

As I say I accept the points about the club fixtures and I personally agree they're terribly run and it has to be sorted. But it certainly wouldn't lead me to cheer against my own county men (and in some cases own club men playing for the county).

Wee Roddy

How is 3 league games in 8 days to start off the league better than training?? Lads take 3 and 4 days to recover from games the intensity is that high. If my club plays a league on a Sunday then the only thing they do before Wednesday is a recovery session/ pool session. So it 3 games in 8 days and nothing for 3 months. I think that is what makes players angry.
Redhand Santa, your comments are ridiculous in my opinion. Some of these guys you are talking about that don't care about Tyrone take pride in Tyrone winning All Irelands and some have played for Tyrone as a matter of fact.

Up The Middle

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 06, 2014, 12:35:19 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on March 06, 2014, 11:51:32 AM

As I said I agree the club fixtures need looked at but its not just a Tyrone issue. I don't see how your county doing well will impact your club doing well (unless you have 5/6 players with the county team), well certainly not at Tyrone level anyway as all teams will be in the same boat. You can argue that it will effect them in Ulster but this won't be an issue for 90% of clubs.

Its also hard to know how bad it effects them in Ulster. There is a train of thought that teams do better when playing games regularly and therefore the team should be well equipped for the ulster run (unless they decide to go on the drink which is their own decision) after finishing in Tyrone. Perhaps Clonoe got beat by Ballinderry last year because they weren't good enough. On plenty of occassions Tyrone teams have lost after having a couple of weeks to prepare.

As I say I accept the points about the club fixtures and I personally agree they're terribly run and it has to be sorted. But it certainly wouldn't lead me to cheer against my own county men (and in some cases own club men playing for the county).

I never said anywhere that the county doing well would affect my club, nor did i mention anywhere getting beat by Ballinderry last year (in fact i stated that my opinion was my own and had nothing to do with anything done to my own club). I just dont get all the hype and hysteria with Tyrone and county football in general, i will watch it yes, but i wont go to a game and support a team because quite simply i dont care about county football in the same way i do about club football.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Knock Yer Mucker In

We have just established that RHS hasn't got a clue what it is psychologically like to win a senior championship, achieve your goal that you have been trying to get to for a number of years,  and then psychologically reset your goals and go out the following Sunday to play the Ulster champions elect and preform at your best. Not a notion. I could write am essay on this but you are so ignorant on this matter, my time would be wasted.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on March 06, 2014, 12:47:32 PM
We have just established that RHS hasn't got a clue what it is psychologically like to win a senior championship, achieve your goal that you have been trying to get to for a number of years,  and then psychologically reset your goals and go out the following Sunday to play the Ulster champions elect and preform at your best. Not a notion. I could write am essay on this but you are so ignorant on this matter, my time would be wasted.

So how many days does it take to reset the psychology that has been put in place from the start of the year? I'm not convinced an extra 6 or 7 days will totally fix it. However, I actually agree that a 2 week break would be better especially from a niggly injury point of view. The county board did last year try to play a round of championship earlier which may have helped.

The bit I don't get is why the extra week would stop you supporting your county.

Wee Roddy

The county board still want to play a round of the championship earlier which would make sense but they have to play these 3 games in 8 days to do it. Clubs can not be asked to play championship without preparation so they have promised 5 games without the county players. With the late league start this is the only way they can fit it in. I cant see Mickey let his county men play 2 games in the one weekend anyway so it will never happen.

Up The Middle

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 06, 2014, 03:58:09 PM
Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on March 06, 2014, 12:47:32 PM

So how many days does it take to reset the psychology that has been put in place from the start of the year? I'm not convinced an extra 6 or 7 days will totally fix it. However, I actually agree that a 2 week break would be better especially from a niggly injury point of view. The county board did last year try to play a round of championship earlier which may have helped.

The bit I don't get is why the extra week would stop you supporting your county.

Ok, please point out where anyone said that an extra week would make them support Tyrone.

Redhand Santa

There seemed to be an argument made that some people didn't like the county team because it was effecting their cub team. However given every team in tyrone plays under the same conditions I don't believe it will effect your clubs success within the county.

Regular games ahead of the ulster club could only be a good thing for bringing a team on. Clones big issue seems to be with the 2 week break which I do partially understand although the county board hasn't many options other than start the championship earlier which was voted down. I do believe a team that is good enough and ambitious enough could overcome the 1 week turnaround, especially one that has one a tyrone championship in recent years. I also don't think the issue could really be held against the county team.

Personally I love the gaa and that includes both my club and county. I enjoy watching any gaa matches. I travelled to Kildare last week and will go to Kerry but equally if my club had an u14 or minor match on I'd go to that as well.

I get a great deal of pride in supporting both club and county. The club gives us a great sense of community locally but there are also many advantages of county football. It gives us an identity nationally, gives our young players the opportunity to strive to play at the top level in front of huge crowds and are a great vehicle for promoting the games. There's no doubt that young players throughout the county have been inspired by canavan, Dooher, oneill, mcguigans etc. it also allows the very best players to play together producing top quality action and a showcase for our games.

I know in my own club we're always very proud of our players who make county squads and get the opportunity to represent our club through the county at top level. I would also identify myself as being a tyrone person and would therefore take pride in my counties achievements.

I do believe the current fixtures need a lot of work both in tyrone and nationally. However, I don't think it makes anyone a better club person by feeling the need to express that they don't support their county. If anything it makes them less of a club man because they're not supporting their own players and backing them to reach the top of their game.

Redhand Santa

I'm also pretty sure that some of the posters who are now claiming not to support the county team are the same people that are very quick to get on the back of the team and criticise players amd management when things are going badly.

giveherlong

KYMI- McAlliskey dropped for Sunday, is he injured?

Best of luck to the O'Rahillys in Sundays ulster final. Would top off some year for the club. Good interview with Cassidy in Gaelic life yesterday