Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bustsummoves

Quote from: Hashtag on August 18, 2011, 12:59:22 PM
Quote from: ExcellentDriver on August 18, 2011, 12:16:58 PM
A mate of mine from Ballinderry is insistent Clonoe will win the Tyrone Championship.

They look mighty impressive. Solid at the back and able to pick out scores at the right time. Good each way bet if they were a Horse.

Though I have a sneaky feeling that Omagh will win the Championship this Year. They have a formidable crop of young lads coming through; as well as having the McMahons; and will need to start delivering at Senior level.

I feel if Omagh could just get out of Tyrone they would probably have the equipment to achieve something at Ulster level. Must be said that they are the biggest under achievers out there considering the success they have had at minor and under 21 levels down the years.

Winning at underage does not just give you the rite to win at senior..look at carrickmore for example, underage isnt great but produce good senior teams year n and out.

EC Unique

Quote from: Wee Roddy on August 19, 2011, 08:57:26 AM
As a matter of interest what is the criteria for being best equipped to win Ulster?

Errigal are the only team from Tyrone to win it and it was a time when we had a team full of excellent footballers more than physical players. To win Tyrone a team has to be physical but to win Ulster good footballers are needed more. Carmen could win Tyrone easy some years but could never make the break through in Ulster. IMO this is due to them being more physical than football orientated.

When Errigal were doing well in Ulster getting out of Tyrone was the hardest bit.

Rocky Mc Guigan

Quote from: EC Unique on August 19, 2011, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on August 19, 2011, 08:57:26 AM
As a matter of interest what is the criteria for being best equipped to win Ulster?

Errigal are the only team from Tyrone to win it and it was a time when we had a team full of excellent footballers more than physical players. To win Tyrone a team has to be physical but to win Ulster good footballers are needed more. Carmen could win Tyrone easy some years but could never make the break through in Ulster. IMO this is due to them being more physical than football orientated.

When Errigal were doing well in Ulster getting out of Tyrone was the hardest bit.
Current Cmore line up much more interested in playing ball but I'm sure can still stand up for themselves in physical stakes. Have played best football in Tyrone this year. It's either them or Dromore for cship IMO.

noskill

Donegal boss Jim McGuinness has said that he is "absolutely gutted" at the Central Competitions Control Committee's proposal to restructure the National Football League for 2012.

McGuinness's side won the NFL Division Two title last season and together with Laois, who were also promoted, Donegal expected to join Cork, Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Armagh and Down in Division One next year.

However, the CCCC have now drawn up a proposal for restructuring both the hurling and football league formats. Division One of the NFL will contain 16 teams, which will be broken into Divisions 1A and 1B. Therefore, Tyrone, Kildare, Westmeath, Meath, Louth, Derry, Monaghan and Galway would also form part of Division One, with the teams drawn eight in each league on two-year cycles to ensure freshness.

The remaining counties will be divided between Divisions Three and Four.

"We're very, very disappointed," McGuinness said. "Absolutely gutted to be honest. I'm gutted for the players. We took every game on its merits. We qualified for the final, went to Croke Park and then won the league. All respect to the teams coming out of Division Three but they could end up now playing Cork, Kerry and Dublin and we worked so hard this year to get into that position.

"We are preparing ourselves for next year and have a young group of players. We were looking forward to fresh teams, fresh venues and fresh competition and that would've left next year for us very enjoyable having played the teams we did this year.

"This news is breaking now and it's breaking two weeks before the game (against Dublin) and it's a negative for our fellas. They put a lot into it and they got promoted and there is a significant gulf between Division Three and the top three or four in Division One. Now all entries are going into a hat or a draw.

"From the point of view of preparing a team and challenging yourself against the best, I don't understand it. Kerry and Cork have won All-Irelands and National Leagues in the last few years and it's a privilege to play those teams.

"You need to fight your way up the leagues to get that opportunity. We were lucky enough to get that opportunity this year and were really looking forward to it and now we could be in Omagh again next year and in Kildare again and no disrespect to them teams, it's not what we were planning."

I have been asked to post this, Donegal snobbery at its best.

new devil

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on August 18, 2011, 03:13:49 PM
Looks like a very unlucky year for the tones after being relegated. Coming up against an Edendork team who are on fire this year when other years they have fallen away! Kildress had ambitions of automatic promotion but because they have been unfortunate in drawing the favourites for the double so early in the championship so I don't hold out much hope for Kildress tomorrow night!

My heart says Kildress by 1 but my head says Edendork by 3/4.

Radda I'm glad your heart was exactly right  ;)

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

snippets

I fancy Omagh for a serious assault on the championship this year and I think they could fare well outside of Tyrone in the club championship.  Omagh have featured already in one championship final in the last 5 years, and should have had Carmen away last year.  Since then they have improved in the physical stakes and can match the roughhouse tactics much better.  The renewed focus within the camp will take some beating and if they can avoid the big guns for a couple of rounds I can see them getting to a final.  As someone said getting out of Tyrone is the hard part.  Theres enough in this Omagh team to eventually be the first Tyrone team to get to a St Patricks day final, maybe not this year but once they make a breakthrough anything can happen.  Why is the games not in Fintona? 
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Radda bout yeee

Kildress had a good win last night.
Good to beat edendork after the league fiasco - there was alot to set straight but glad the tones came out on right side of result!
Kildress showed good discipline (even though we had a man lined for pulling a jersey - HARSH)
in league game edendork seemed to resemble an Italian soccer team diving at every opportunity - they weren't as bad last night but at least Kildress didn't fall for the tactic!
For Kildress now it's about focusing for the next game and for edendork it's about making sure they win the league! And if they don't maybe their supersub last night will transfer to another county seeking that medal!!   

ExcellentDriver

Ardboe spending today at Portrush Training.

What odds for fisticuffs at Kelly's tonight? ::)
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

time_for_a_swift_half

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on August 20, 2011, 05:22:15 PM

I doubt your an Ardboe man at all Des! You may move down to Ballinderry and set up home in the bridge bar!!
Lick Them!

Shadylimp

Snippets do us all a favour and wind that neck in. Omagh have done absolutely nothing to suggest they can win an oneill cup never mind an all ireland. They'll be doing well to just get over donaghmore next week.
'Oh honey I didn't get drunk. I just went into a strange fantasy world'

ExcellentDriver

Quote from: time_for_a_swift_half on August 20, 2011, 05:55:36 PM

I doubt your an Ardboe man at all Des! You may move down to Ballinderry and set up home in the bridge bar!!

Stand up for the Ulstermen!

time_for_a_swift_half

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on August 20, 2011, 06:48:51 PM
Quote from: time_for_a_swift_half on August 20, 2011, 05:55:36 PM

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh! What have I won Mr?
Lick Them!

barelegs

Wins tonight for Augher and the Rock tonight over Clann na Gael and Aghyaran.

Augher  2-13 Clann na Gael 0-7
Rock 0-12  Aghyaran 1-7