National League Final- Play it in Croke Park

Started by southderry, April 12, 2009, 07:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Think Celtic Park isn't far away from being ready - although 2 weeks is probably pushing it.

Maguire01

Quote from: seamusthebard on April 13, 2009, 12:45:58 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 13, 2009, 12:32:42 PM
I thought it was touch and go as to whether Celtic Park was going to be ready for the Monaghan game at the end of May, nevermind in 2 weeks time?

It's virtually complete, surprising what can be done when the pressure comes on! Let's go for it Damian, see Maguire is quaking in his boots!
::)

milltown row

i hope Antrim get to play their league final in Croke. the wide open spaces should suit us. we might even do a Tipp next year

southderryman

wanting the game played in croke park is crazy, the place would be practically empty.

I enjoyed the game in parnell park last year, but it was abit on the small side and not great for viewing a match unless you had a ticket for the stand.

why not have a double header od the division 1 and 2 finals at somewhere like portlaoise?

on a side note.......i take it the season tickets are valid for the final?

Doire abú

Quote from: southderryman on April 13, 2009, 06:10:52 PM
wanting the game played in croke park is crazy, the place would be practically empty.

I enjoyed the game in parnell park last year, but it was abit on the small side and not great for viewing a match unless you had a ticket for the stand.

why not have a double header od the division 1 and 2 finals at somewhere like portlaoise?

Surely playing in Croke Park in April would be beneficial to Derry if there were to play there again later in the summer. Much in the same way Mickey Harte was pushing for the Tyrone vs Armagh game to be in Croker.

southderryman

Quote from: Doire abú on April 13, 2009, 06:24:01 PM

Surely playing in Croke Park in April would be beneficial to Derry if there were to play there again later in the summer. Much in the same way Mickey Harte was pushing for the Tyrone vs Armagh game to be in Croker.

of course it would be beneficial, but ffs this is the GAA we're talking about here, unless it involves profit croker wont be open for a league final and i cant see a big enough crowd from either derry or kerry attending.

then again we sold 20,000 tickets for the dublin game in 07 despite only having a few hundred at the armagh match 4 weeks previous to that so maybe our "support" would fancy a day in croker.  ::)

Gnevin

I agree Division 2,3 and 4 finals are pointless. Promotion is the aim ,last years Div 2 final was like a challenge match
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Doire abú

Quote from: southderryman on April 13, 2009, 06:54:55 PM

of course it would be beneficial, but ffs this is the GAA we're talking about here, unless it involves profit croker wont be open for a league final and i cant see a big enough crowd from either derry or kerry attending.

then again we sold 20,000 tickets for the dublin game in 07 despite only having a few hundred at the armagh match 4 weeks previous to that so maybe our "support" would fancy a day in croker.  ::)

On a more serious note....rip tonight?

southderryman

Quote from: Doire abú on April 13, 2009, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: southderryman on April 13, 2009, 06:54:55 PM

On a more serious note....rip tonight?

no chance. had far too much last night, thats me off it til next thurs...........dissertation due in that day.  :(

Archie Mitchell

I think if you have a season ticket, you get a ticket for the final, but it's charged to your credit card. The season ticket entitled you to 7 NFL games and the first championship match, and any other match would be charged to your card, regardless if you go or not.

donelli

I dont think croke park is a runner for this game.
i reckon a double header for the div 1 & 2 could be played in portlaoise

Maguire01

Banty wants it in HQ - hardly surprising as he has always pushed for Monaghan's bigger games in Croke Park. Understandable for something as important as a league final.

QuoteMcEnaney wants league finals in Croker

14 April 2009

Monaghan manager Seamus McEnaney has called on the GAA to play all of the NFL finals in Croke Park.

McEnaney, whose side face Cork in the Division 2 decider, has also urged the GAA to drop admission prices and make "proper occasions" of the finals.

And with Croker set to host the Heineken Cup semi-final between Leinster and Munster on Saturday, May 2, pressure is mounting on the GAA to play the league finals at the Jones' Road venue six days earlier.
Two of the last three league finals have been played in Limerick (2006) and Parnell Park (2008) before paltry attendances, but in spite of this, McEnaney believes this year's finals should be played at GAA headquarters, possibly as a quadruple-header.

"I don't see why all four league finals shouldn't be played there. The leagues are our second biggest competition," he said.

"Teams in the final deserve to play in Croke Park. I don't see why all four league finals shouldn't be played there. Antrim and Sligo deserve it as much as Kerry and Derry. We'd love to play there - as would Down and Tipperary. It shouldn't always be about money.

"In fact, I'd be urging them to drop prices and try to attract more people through the gates, especially families."

The GAA are due to decide on the venue, or venues, for the finals today.
Not sure about the logistics of a quadruple header though - unless he meant across the Saturday and the Sunday. It would be some fun watching 4 games in a row!

blanketattack

If the All-Ireland Intermediate and Junior club finals as well as the ladies football and camogie finals can be played in a 1/4 full Croke Park, then the league final should be played there as well.

stiffler

Wheres the div 3 and 4 finals due to be played at?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

cornafean

If the GAA can successfully attract 80,000 to Croker for a relatively meaningless league fixture on a freezing January night, it can surely attract half that number to a League finals double-bill. The same applies to the Tyrone v Armagh fixture. The way things are going, our kids will have to take up rugby if they ever want to play, or indeed watch their team, in Croke Park.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.