National League Final- Play it in Croke Park

Started by southderry, April 12, 2009, 07:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: jodyb on April 12, 2009, 09:18:02 PM
You'd expect Monaghan to draw a decent crowd i would have thought
div 2 final?  Why even bother playing it (did monaghan win one of these or were they robbed at the death 3/4 years ago against Meath?)?  I mean, both sides are promoted which was their objective, do either care if they take the title?  Same goes for div 3 and 4 titles (though maybe Baker's on a title bonus).

jodyb

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 12, 2009, 09:26:44 PM
div 2 final?  Why even bother playing it (did monaghan win one of these or were they robbed at the death 3/4 years ago against Meath?)?  I mean, both sides are promoted which was their objective, do either care if they take the title?  Same goes for div 3 and 4 titles (though maybe Baker's on a title bonus).
Other way round Bogball. Long range free (not unlike Tohill and Plunkett's in 1992) dropped into the net when Meath were up by 2 points

Bogball XV

Quote from: jodyb on April 12, 2009, 09:36:03 PM
Other way round Bogball. Long range free (not unlike Tohill and Plunkett's in 1992) dropped into the net when Meath were up by 2 points
Big difference, Jody, Tohill's goal was Derry's just reward for a dominating performance against inferior opponents, Monaghan stole it at the death ;)

jodyb

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 12, 2009, 09:39:17 PM
Quote from: jodyb on April 12, 2009, 09:36:03 PM
Big difference, Jody, Tohill's goal was Derry's just reward for a dominating performance against inferior opponents, Monaghan stole it at the death ;)

I like that.... With one sentence, you piss off the oul' enemy and the new one (of the last 3 or 4 years anyway) at the same time....... Clever :D

Doire abú

When Monaghan won Division 2 a couple of years ago there only was two divisions (1A, 1B, 2A and 2B)...was it effectively winning Division 3? Is the Division 2 trophy they won that day the same as the one they'll be playing for in a couple of weeks or what way does it work?

Maguire01

A title is a title - it's silverware. It's nice to have a good run, but it caps it off if there's something tangible at the end of it. A league should really be won by the team who finishes top, but with only 8 teams in each league and 7 games each, it doesn't work that well. It's another game, should be a tough one, and it would be great if we could beat Cork again. Also nice to have another game before going up against Derry in the first round.

Maguire01

Quote from: Doire abú on April 12, 2009, 11:28:27 PM

When Monaghan won Division 2 a couple of years ago there only was two divisions (1A, 1B, 2A and 2B)...was it effectively winning Division 3? Is the Division 2 trophy they won that day the same as the one they'll be playing for in a couple of weeks or what way does it work?

This Division 2 title would be a step up from the one in 2005, due to the restructured league, as far as i would understand it. 2005 was like winning Divisions 3 and 4.

Doire abú

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I wonder if the trophy will be the same as the last time Monaghan won Div 2, or is that trophy now used for Div 3?

Pity there seems to be no roll of honour for all the NFL divisions over the years online anywhere.

seamusthebard

I think that if this game is played at any neutral venue, that you will struggle to get more tha 3,000 at it. I suggest that we toss for home venue and that would create some interest in at least one of the counties. Is the national league going the same way as the Railway Cup?

tyronefan

Quote from: seamusthebard on April 13, 2009, 12:01:01 PM
I think that if this game is played at any neutral venue, that you will struggle to get more tha 3,000 at it. I suggest that we toss for home venue and that would create some interest in at least one of the counties. Is the national league going the same way as the Railway Cup?

According to todays papers that has already been suggested and Derry turned the idea down saying there was no way they were going to play a league final in Kerry

Maguire01

Quote from: tyronefan on April 13, 2009, 12:03:36 PM
Quote from: seamusthebard on April 13, 2009, 12:01:01 PM

According to todays papers that has already been suggested and Derry turned the idea down saying there was no way they were going to play a league final in Kerry
I wouldn't blame them - why should they have to go to Kerry to contest a national final? Regardless of how many people turn up, moving it to some remote venue just further devalues the competition. It's like the GAA admitting defeat.

seamusthebard

We have 50/50 chance of it being in Derry..... take a chance on it Derry, let's be brave for once!

seamusthebard

Just thinking, if we were lucky to win toss, it would be some way to reopen Celtric Park. Think of the support it would create within the county, would get the yuong ones out and would give the newcomers on the team an opportunity to play on Celtic Park in the new surroundings before the Monaghan game. Come on damian, you can get around McCloy.

Maguire01

I thought it was touch and go as to whether Celtic Park was going to be ready for the Monaghan game at the end of May, nevermind in 2 weeks time?

seamusthebard

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 13, 2009, 12:32:42 PM
I thought it was touch and go as to whether Celtic Park was going to be ready for the Monaghan game at the end of May, nevermind in 2 weeks time?

It's virtually complete, surprising what can be done when the pressure comes on! Let's go for it Damian, see Maguire is quaking in his boots!