The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Biden is only there because he'll   do  what he is told.  That's  why they want  him for another  term. Trump  was a  wasp at the picnic  last time, and he will be again..  That's why  they don't want him back , which is why they're throwing  everything at him.

Taylor

RedHand88

RedHand88

Quote from: Hound on August 04, 2023, 10:14:27 AM
Two fantastic dumbass posts by AP and RH!  ;D ;D

Why, do you disagree? Do you think they want Trump to win?? Really?
I don't want Trump to win.

LeoMc

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 04, 2023, 10:16:02 AM
Quote from: Hound on August 04, 2023, 10:14:27 AM
Two fantastic dumbass posts by AP and RH!  ;D ;D

Why, do you disagree? Do you think they want Trump to win?? Really?
I don't want Trump to win.

So you are one of the "they" referred to by AP!

trileacman

Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2023, 10:20:40 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 03, 2023, 09:50:49 PM
The betting markets have consistently had Biden as the favourite all year. Trump closed the gap a little in June but Biden's numbers are on their way back up again, probably because of the strong economy. This RFK Junior character is going after the tinfoil hat vote on the left, but that sort of thing is more lucrative on the right where Trump is still the hot favourite for the GOP nomination.
Odds still very close. Biden only marginally ahead, but at around 6/4 or 7/4 he's still well odds against. Trump at mainly 2/1 just slightly longer.
Biden a poor candidate and Trump even worse. If either party had a very competent front runner, they'd be odds on.

I disagree with your assessment about on that. Personally I think (if neither takes a mad dash towards senility in the next 12 months) that Biden would beat Trump in an election. Realistically Biden hasn't trashed the country or economy and will hover up the vast majority of the votes he got the last time. Likewise Trump has played to script and will hold onto most of his base votes. QED Biden will win again.

However I'd put my house on De Santis beating Biden. He has the cut of a president and he knows it. Up against an grandad he hover up enough middle ground votes who'd fear Biden losing his grip on things in a 2nd term (which has a propensity for happening.

However the inverse is not true. I would wager good money that a reasonably good Trump campaign would beat any Democratic challenger. Simply because they're pretty much all going to be to the left of Biden and lack the goodwill that Biden has built up from 10+ years in the public eye.

Put as concisely as I can, Biden is the only Democrat who can win the next election, Trump is the only Republican who can lose it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Captain Obvious

DeSantis in focusing too much on the culture wars and his ongoing battle against "woke," rather than policies and issues which a majority of voters care about. Trump should beat DeSantis so long as he doesn't end up in jail.

Jell 0 Biafra

Trump will beat DeSantis whether or not he ends up in jail. 

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trileacman on August 07, 2023, 10:38:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2023, 10:20:40 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 03, 2023, 09:50:49 PM
The betting markets have consistently had Biden as the favourite all year. Trump closed the gap a little in June but Biden's numbers are on their way back up again, probably because of the strong economy. This RFK Junior character is going after the tinfoil hat vote on the left, but that sort of thing is more lucrative on the right where Trump is still the hot favourite for the GOP nomination.
Odds still very close. Biden only marginally ahead, but at around 6/4 or 7/4 he's still well odds against. Trump at mainly 2/1 just slightly longer.
Biden a poor candidate and Trump even worse. If either party had a very competent front runner, they'd be odds on.

I disagree with your assessment about on that. Personally I think (if neither takes a mad dash towards senility in the next 12 months) that Biden would beat Trump in an election. Realistically Biden hasn't trashed the country or economy and will hover up the vast majority of the votes he got the last time. Likewise Trump has played to script and will hold onto most of his base votes. QED Biden will win again.

However I'd put my house on De Santis beating Biden. He has the cut of a president and he knows it. Up against an grandad he hover up enough middle ground votes who'd fear Biden losing his grip on things in a 2nd term (which has a propensity for happening.

However the inverse is not true. I would wager good money that a reasonably good Trump campaign would beat any Democratic challenger. Simply because they're pretty much all going to be to the left of Biden and lack the goodwill that Biden has built up from 10+ years in the public eye.

Put as concisely as I can, Biden is the only Democrat who can win the next election, Trump is the only Republican who can lose it.

Pretty good assessment.

For now it looks like Biden to win, and 4 years after that it'll be DeSantis v Newsom.

Jell 0 Biafra

This was supposed to have been DeSantis' time.  He could take over Trump's base, and sell himself to establishment Republicans as the saner version of Trump.  Problem for him was he didn't realize that the key to having Trump's base was actually being Trump, not just espousing his anti-woke posturings.

US politics often surprises me, so I may be way off here, but I think DeSantis is finished, on the national level at least.

J70

Leaving aside the damaging aspects of his "woke" crusade, DeSantis is a flat track bully and a coward. That nomination was there for him, wrapped up in a nice bow, but he didn't have the balls to take Trump on. He's the right hard lad when his opposition is a teacher who wants to teach tolerance and decency and real history, or some young students in masks, or a progressive DA. Then he can grandstand and look the big man in front of the MAGA hordes. But to get down in the gutter and fight fire with fire against a corrupt and immoral thug like Trump? He's a f**king wimp beneath it all.

J70

Quote from: AustinPowers on August 03, 2023, 10:44:38 PM
Biden is only there because he'll   do  what he is told.  That's  why they want  him for another  term. Trump  was a  wasp at the picnic  last time, and he will be again..  That's why  they don't want him back , which is why they're throwing  everything at him.

Nothing is getting thrown at Trump that isn't deserved and earned.

And Biden is there because he was a moderate, centrist option to put up against a racist, far right wannabe dictator. Biden would never have been president without Trump, but he was the only good bet to beat him and thus highly necessary.

And who are "they"?

People like myself?

Or some shadowy, imaginary puppet masters somewhere?

whitey

Some of these school boards/districts needed serious reigning in

And while maybe he didn't go about it the right way, DeSantis (and Younkin to a lesser degree) were bang on the money

The Republican primary voters are (imho) 70% Trumpers

It's going to be nearly impossible for anyone, let alone DeSantis to challenge him

But these Trumpers are getting exactly what they deserve-Trump cost them about 4 Senate seats and 30 house seats last time out

While still relevant, the Presidency has become more of a rubber stamp (imo).  The real power lies in the house and the senate, because if Joe tries to rule by executive order, there's a very good chance the Supreme Court will shoot down whatever it is he's trying to do

J70

DeSantis was NOT bang on the money.

Unless you're saying that teaching that enslaved people were able to learn valuable skills is a good thing?

Maybe there should be a unit on Hitler and Mussolini making the trains run in time?

Prager "University" now getting an official entry into Florida schools too. There, of all places, teachers will be provided approved materials to teach climate denialism.

Chickens will come home to roost in Florida soon as a result of DeSantis policies. Good luck to any farmer or builder trying to get help down there to work their fields or sites.

Wildweasel74

Trump should be in jail on enticement to riot, leading to death, can't understand how people can't see this. How csn a person can even run for president says something about Americans in general