Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2021, 05:55:17 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2021, 05:22:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2021, 04:39:52 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2021, 04:24:55 PM
Here's the type of lunacy which we have to deal with in Massachusetts

Halloween "deemphasized" in Melrose Massachusetts in an effort to be "more inclusive"

I get it that Christmas and Columbus Day might not be entirely inclusive, but FFS after the year kids have had, let's take all the joy out of Halloween while we're at it.

Do these people just sit around and concoct solutions to problems which don't exist

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.masslive.com/boston/2021/10/jimmy-kimmel-reacts-to-melrose-superintendents-decision-to-deemphasize-halloween-whos-feeling-marginalized-by-a-halloween-party.html%3foutputType=amp

(Kümmel joked that the superintendent's house will probably get egged. Now he's being accused of inciting violence against her)

To me, that's the other side of the coin from the CRT hysteria.

One side is scared shitless of leaving anyone out or offending anyone (at least their motives are honourable), the other is absolutely determined that the real, historical enslavement and oppression suffered by some groups of Americans be whitewashed over lest their kids have to grow up knowing that their country has treated those groups like shit and that that has had ongoing effects down to this day.

Thankfully, my kids get to learn about MLK and Rosa Parks and their noble struggle, while at the same time their very diverse public school allows them to wear their costumes in for a Halloween celebration.

I wouldn't  call their motives honorable

I view it as a bunch of culture Nazis imposing their views on everyone else from their Ivory Towers and virtue signaling with a bunch of nonsense.

She never asked for feedback from parents-she just went ahead and did it. They pay her $183,000 salary-she works for them

Regardless of her possible arrogance and presumption in how she went about it, and the over the top nature of what she proposed, her intent was to be inclusive and sensitive. Or at least I'm assuming so - nothing else makes sense.

What evidence did she have that people felt left out or were offended by the Halloween celebrations ?

AFIK there has never been one single solitary complaint about Halloween from any parents

Average house price in Melrose must be pushing $1M. It has become a rich white persons town. Those people aren't going to put up with her crap

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2021, 06:09:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 03, 2021, 05:55:17 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 03, 2021, 05:22:56 PM

Halloween "deemphasized" in Melrose Massachusetts in an effort to be "more inclusive"

I get it that Christmas and Columbus Day might not be entirely inclusive, but FFS after the year kids have had, let's take all the joy out of Halloween while we're at it.

Do these people just sit around and concoct solutions to problems which don't exist

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.masslive.com/boston/2021/10/jimmy-kimmel-reacts-to-melrose-superintendents-decision-to-deemphasize-halloween-whos-feeling-marginalized-by-a-halloween-party.html%3foutputType=amp

(Kümmel joked that the superintendent's house will probably get egged. Now he's being accused of inciting violence against her)

One side is scared shitless of leaving anyone out or offending anyone (at least their motives are honourable), the other is absolutely determined that the real, historical enslavement and oppression suffered by some groups of Americans be whitewashed over lest their kids have to grow up knowing that their country has treated those groups like shit and that that has had ongoing effects down to this day.

Thankfully, my kids get to learn about MLK and Rosa Parks and their noble struggle, while at the same time their very diverse public school allows them to wear their costumes in for a Halloween celebration.

I wouldn't  call their motives honorable

I view it as a bunch of culture Nazis imposing their views on everyone else from their Ivory Towers and virtue signaling with a bunch of nonsense.

She never asked for feedback from parents-she just went ahead and did it. They pay her $183,000 salary-she works for them

Regardless of her possible arrogance and presumption in how she went about it, and the over the top nature of what she proposed, her intent was to be inclusive and sensitive. Or at least I'm assuming so - nothing else makes sense.

What evidence did she have that people felt left out or were offended by the Halloween celebrations ?

AFIK there has never been one single solitary complaint about Halloween from any parents

Average house price in Melrose must be pushing $1M. It has become a rich white persons town. Those people aren't going to put up with her crap

I've no idea about any of that. Just speculating based on the little bit of info you've posted and common sense.

Which she appears to be lacking a little in.

Anyway, I'm not getting sucked back into this pointless thread. Just stuck my head in to say the Dems need to get their heads out of their arses, even if the GOP are still a lunatic, personality cult.

Main Street

Good point, well put.

Gmac

Quote from: Main Street on November 03, 2021, 09:30:58 PM

Good point, well put.
the Democrats on the school board in loudon county Virginia weren't too worried about offending the father of a 14 year old girl who was raped in a transgender bathroom, when he went to a school board Meeting they had him arrested and covered up for the rapist two times. Sick f$cks

sid waddell

The Republican party, and posters like whitey and GMac, are a cult devoted to a credibly alleged paedophile and serial rapist who tried to overthrow democracy in an armed fascist coup.

End of.

Every post they make should come with that spoiler alert.

Main Street

Quote from: Gmac on November 03, 2021, 10:53:37 PM

Good point, well put.
the Democrats on the school board in loudon county Virginia weren't too worried about offending the father of a 14 year old girl who was raped in a transgender bathroom, when he went to a school board Meeting they had him arrested and covered up for the rapist two times. Sick f$cks
I don't know what you're reading but J70's  point was about Boston and this in particular about the side that poses as liberal anti-censure, freedom loving, one that would never be offended by any such celebratory events, "is absolutely determined that the real, historical enslavement and oppression suffered by some groups of Americans be whitewashed over lest their kids have to grow up knowing that their country has treated those groups like shit and that that has had ongoing effects down to this day.". That in itself surpasses anything you've ever written on this thread by an infinite factor. And I suspect you're not bothered by that particular type of censorship.

dec

Good point, well put.

https://reason.com/2021/11/01/conservatives-wrongly-portrayed-the-loudoun-county-sexual-assault-as-a-transgender-bathroom-issue/

Gmac

Quote from: dec on November 03, 2021, 11:50:11 PM

Good point, well put.

https://reason.com/2021/11/01/conservatives-wrongly-portrayed-the-loudoun-county-sexual-assault-as-a-transgender-bathroom-issue/
did they cover it up or not ? I made no issue about anything else

Jell 0 Biafra

Critical Race Theory, as an academic discipline, focuses on how racism endures in society regardless of whether people personally embrace racist attitudes.  As such, it is the opposite of making people feel guilty because of slavery. 

As an example of critical race theory in action take the question of why a lower percentage of black people own their own homes today in the US? 

This is, in large part, because of decisions made by banks, and municipalities about who would get loans and who could live where.  Certain districts on Long Island, for example, had written into their regulations, that blacks couldn't own homes there, and we're talking mid-twentieth century here.  That's changed of course, but what it meant was that white families have hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity that black families were never allowed to amass.  So black families, on average, have less wealth, because of institutionalized racist policies. 

Such policies have the effect that black families are at a disadvantage with respect to white families in terms of wealth.  Given how schools work in the US, that means that kids in poor areas (disproportionately black) attend schools with significantly less resources, and thus significantly worse outcomes.

All this happens whether or not white people have racist thoughts "in their hearts". 

This is all common sense to anyone with a modicum of common sense and knowledge of US history.  So, why is everyone up in arms about Critical Race Theory? 

Here's why:

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1371540368714428416?lang=en

Republican strategists have seized on this as a culture war issue, and are attempting to make every attempt to discuss race and justice seem like an attempt to make white people feel guilty.

Yes, some activists might be trying to do make white people feel guilty, but that is decidedly not what critical race theory is about.

whitey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 04, 2021, 01:21:50 AM
Critical Race Theory, as an academic discipline, focuses on how racism endures in society regardless of whether people personally embrace racist attitudes.  As such, it is the opposite of making people feel guilty because of slavery. 

As an example of critical race theory in action take the question of why a lower percentage of black people own their own homes today in the US? 

This is, in large part, because of decisions made by banks, and municipalities about who would get loans and who could live where.  Certain districts on Long Island, for example, had written into their regulations, that blacks couldn't own homes there, and we're talking mid-twentieth century here.  That's changed of course, but what it meant was that white families have hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity that black families were never allowed to amass.  So black families, on average, have less wealth, because of institutionalized racist policies. 

Such policies have the effect that black families are at a disadvantage with respect to white families in terms of wealth.  Given how schools work in the US, that means that kids in poor areas (disproportionately black) attend schools with significantly less resources, and thus significantly worse outcomes.

All this happens whether or not white people have racist thoughts "in their hearts". 

This is all common sense to anyone with a modicum of common sense and knowledge of US history.  So, why is everyone up in arms about Critical Race Theory? 

Here's why:

Republican strategists have seized on this as a culture war issue, and are attempting to make every attempt to discuss race and justice seem like an attempt to make white people feel guilty.

Yes, some activists might be trying to do make white people feel guilty, but that is decidedly not what critical race theory is about.

So what is a good age to start teaching these important lessons?

FWIW I have read a bunch of anti racist books-"White Fragility" and "How to be an anti racist" in particular stick out, and I have to say I have never read such a bunch of codswallop in my born days

I would be pretty upset if rubbish like this (what's in these 2 books) was being taught to my kids

The way you describe CRT is pretty accurate and is well intentioned, but my guess is that some teachers are going rogue and using it to further other agendas

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 04, 2021, 02:15:30 AM

Here's why:

FWIW I have read a bunch of anti racist books-"White Fragility" and "How to be an anti racist" in particular stick out, and I have to say I have never read such a bunch of codswallop in my born days

I would be pretty upset if rubbish like this (what's in these 2 books) was being taught to my kids

The way you describe CRT is pretty accurate and is well intentioned, but my guess is that some teachers are going rogue and using it to further other agendas

Do "other agendas" include the Christopher Rufo-inspired, Tucker Carlson/Fox News-driven movement to hype and harness this issue as a political football?

Haven't read those books BTW (I think you asked that yesterday).

J70

Quote from: Gmac on November 04, 2021, 12:00:15 AM

Good point, well put.

You pretty clearly implied that this issue was about transgender bathrooms and that issue's influence on the school board's decision making.

And got caught talking absolute shite yet again.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2021, 11:47:54 AM
Quote from: whitey on November 04, 2021, 02:15:30 AM

Here's why:

Do "other agendas" include the Christopher Rufo-inspired, Tucker Carlson/Fox News-driven movement to hype and harness this issue as a political football?

Haven't read those books BTW (I think you asked that yesterday).

No idea, but I do see the word intersectional used a lot and IMHO that gives teachers a free reign to completely stray off topic and indoctrinate kids

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2021, 11:53:39 AM
Quote from: Gmac on November 04, 2021, 12:00:15 AM

Good point, well put.

You pretty clearly implied that this issue was about transgender bathrooms and that issue's influence on the school board's decision making.

And got caught talking absolute shite yet again.
The story was in fact about the following:
i) The rape culture among young males - which the entirety of right-wing America simultaneously both indulges and denies. It denies there is such a culture among males in general, yet simultaneously claims there is such a culture among black males, in order to portray white males in general as virtuous because of their skin colour.

ii) The right-wing bullshit machine's constant efforts to completely demonise minorities it hates - in this case trans people. Trans people had nothing whatsoever to do with this bullshit "story".

There was a sexual assault by a male against a female.