The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

How about more polling booths? 8 hours is ridiculous ffs.

whitey

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2021, 09:17:36 PM

The Republicans offered that but the Democrats voted it down because they felt it would cause confusion

Milltown Row2

So did Trump win or was he robbed?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 01, 2021, 11:57:47 PM

He lost (not by a lot, but he lost fair and square)

(Approx 50,000 votes spread across the swing states was the difference)

RedHand88

Coming from the Notth of Ireland, I find it bizarre that voter ID requirement is "voter suppression".

whitey

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 02, 2021, 07:55:05 AM
Coming from the Notth of Ireland, I find it bizarre that voter ID requirement is "voter suppression".

And most states will give you a free one if you can't afford one

Armagh18

Quote from: whitey on April 01, 2021, 10:03:24 PM

The Republicans offered that but the Democrats voted it down because they felt it would cause confusion
Seriously? Surely anything is better than an 8 hr wait

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 01, 2021, 09:06:36 PM
So in other words whatever the Republicans did to solve the anticipated problems it was never going to satisfy the Democrats

Damned if you do....damned if you don't

(Funny how I needed a work colleague to tell me about this.....very scant coverage in the media who are up in arms over "voter suppression " telling the whole story )

Well if they hadn't shut down the voting places in the first place. Or if they had taken heed of the massive turnout in 2018 and moved to address this BEFORE the 2020 primaries. Or didn't have their general historical record and questionable good faith and a sitting president ranting and raving about fraud.

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 01, 2021, 11:57:47 PM

A good chunk of the US population believes he was robbed.

Many of the same people also believe white christians are being oppressed and the Democrats and "deep state" are trafficking and sacrificing children.

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2021, 12:31:11 PM

An eight hour wait is better than showing up at what you thought was your local polling location and being told you're not on the list.

whitey

When more than 2 million extra people registered to vote in Georgia the Republicans came up with a plan to open more polling stations and hire more polling workers (so that no more than 2000 people would be assigned to any individual polling station)

The Democrats felt that (potentially) moving peoples polling stations during an election year would cause "confusion" and depress turnout and therefore was an attempt at voter suppression

So they voted it down

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/bill-add-georgia-precincts-faces-unexpected-opponent-voting-groups/CqngPZCnA9mSNBqQcRYyxO/%3foutputType=amp

Of course this fact is barely if ever mentioned by the main stream media

I would regard myself as very well informed, but even I didn't know about this until I asked a work colleague who lives in Atlanta

(I doubt J70 or Eamonn knew about it either, and even if they did they probably swallowed the Democratic talking points hook line and sinker)

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 12:46:29 PM

An eight hour wait is better than showing up at what you thought was your local polling location and being told you're not on the list.

J70-you're really shameless when it comes spreading misinformation

And what happens if your name is not on the list....yes....you cast a provisional ballot.

https://sos.ga.gov/admin/files/GAInfoguide.pdf

Regarding provisional ballots

"If you were eligible to vote but voted in the wrong precinct, only the votes for candidates for which you were entitled to vote will be counted, and you will be notified in writing that your ballot was partially counted for your correct precinct."

So your vote is guaranteed to be counted for the important ones like President, Senate, Governor, Secretary of State. Very slight chance that your Congressional District might change, but that happens all the time anyway (in both red and blue states)

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 12:54:30 PM

When more than 2 million extra people registered to vote in Georgia the Republicans came up with a plan to open more polling stations and hire more polling workers (so that no more than 2000 people would be assigned to any individual polling station)

The Democrats felt that (potentially) moving peoples polling stations during an election year would cause "confusion" and depress turnout and therefore was an attempt at voter suppression

So they voted it down

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/bill-add-georgia-precincts-faces-unexpected-opponent-voting-groups/CqngPZCnA9mSNBqQcRYyxO/%3foutputType=amp

Of course this fact is barely if ever mentioned by the main stream media

I would regard myself as very well informed, but even I didn't know about this until I asked a work colleague who lives in Atlanta

(I doubt J70 or Eamonn knew about it either, and even if they did they probably swallowed the Democratic talking points hook line and sinker)

Never mind the actual history of GA and conservatives in that state (I say conservatives to include the old Democratic party before the switch). Context and experience and real concerns of advocates for minority voters are irrelevant and illegitimate.

And never mind that the Republican speaker of the House said, out loud (before trying to "clarify"), about the bill that expanded mail-in voting "will be extremely devastating to Republicans and conservatives in Georgia."

This all about good faith GOP efforts and treacherous, lying Dems.

https://apnews.com/article/522295c7edb7039c7a7f2b96e870e2a8

Armagh18

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 12:46:29 PM

Surely this can be communicated to people well in advance? And on the odd occasion they go to the wrong spot it shouldn't be that big a deal to get to the correct one if the lines are reasonably short?

whitey

Don't mind the facts J70

Just start a good rant and keep spreading lies that are dividing the country

You should be ashamed of yourself