Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2021, 01:14:53 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 12:46:29 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2021, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 01, 2021, 10:03:24 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2021, 09:17:36 PM
How about more polling booths? 8 hours is ridiculous ffs.

The Republicans offered that but the Democrats voted it down because they felt it would cause confusion
Seriously? Surely anything is better than an 8 hr wait

An eight hour wait is better than showing up at what you thought was your local polling location and being told you're not on the list.
Surely this can be communicated to people well in advance? And on the odd occasion they go to the wrong spot it shouldn't be that big a deal to get to the correct one if the lines are reasonably short?

It is

And somehow if you still show up at the wrong place you then cast a provisional ballot

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 01:02:08 PM

The Republicans offered that but the Democrats voted it down because they felt it would cause confusion

An eight hour wait is better than showing up at what you thought was your local polling location and being told you're not on the list.

J70-you're really shameless when it comes spreading misinformation

And what happens if your name is not on the list....yes....you cast a provisional ballot.

https://sos.ga.gov/admin/files/GAInfoguide.pdf

Regarding provisional ballots

"If you were eligible to vote but voted in the wrong precinct, only the votes for candidates for which you were entitled to vote will be counted, and you will be notified in writing that your ballot was partially counted for your correct precinct."

So your vote is guaranteed to be counted for the important ones like President, Senate, Governor, Secretary of State. Very slight chance that your Congressional District might change, but that happens all the time anyway (in both red and blue states)

Sorry to disappoint, but that was not a shameless, or any other, attempt at misrepresentation on my part. Simply didn't think the response through.

If I have a history of shameless spreading of misinformation, please point it out.

And I would still be absolutely furious if I showed up, queued for whatever length of time, and then had to be informed that I wasn't on the list and had the option of either going to the "correct" location, or casting a provisional ballot, which might also mean having to come back again to verify my details.

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 01:16:15 PM
Don't mind the facts J70

Just start a good rant and keep spreading lies that are dividing the country

You should be ashamed of yourself

You want to get personal?

J70

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2021, 01:14:53 PM

Surely this can be communicated to people well in advance? And on the odd occasion they go to the wrong spot it shouldn't be that big a deal to get to the correct one if the lines are reasonably short?

Evidently the Dems and their activist groups were unconvinced about the adequacy of the GOP proposals to communicate the info. And the concern wasn't the odd wrong person. Throw in concerns about hundreds of thousands of people being wrongfully removed from voting lists too. (Not just a GA problem - there was chaos in Brooklyn a few years back after voter roll purges).

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 01:23:49 PM

And what happens if your name is not on the list....yes....you cast a provisional ballot.

"If you were eligible to vote but voted in the wrong precinct, only the votes for candidates for which you were entitled to vote will be counted, and you will be notified in writing that your ballot was partially counted for your correct precinct."

So your vote is guaranteed to be counted for the important ones like President, Senate, Governor, Secretary of State. Very slight chance that your Congressional District might change, but that happens all the time anyway (in both red and blue states)

Sorry to disappoint, but that was not a shameless, or any other, attempt at misrepresentation on my part. Simply didn't think the response through.

If I have a history of shameless spreading of misinformation, please point it out.

And I would still be absolutely furious if I showed up, queued for whatever length of time, and then had to be informed that I wasn't on the list and had the option of either going to the "correct" location, or casting a provisional ballot, which might also mean having to come back again to verify my details.

While you are at it, maybe you could be absolutely furious at yourself for not checking where you are supposed to vote.....takes about 60 seconds

You implied in your response that if you showed up at the incorrect polling place you were not allowed to vote. That is flat out false

The Democrats using that the main reason to turn down the offer of additional polling places in minority neighborhoods after record new registrations is outrageous to say the least

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 01:25:09 PM
Don't mind the facts J70

You're a smart person

Why do you just constantly repeat Democratic talking points, without using your intelligence to actually differentiate between facts and spin?

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 02:44:45 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 01:23:49 PM

You implied in your response that if you showed up at the incorrect polling place you were not allowed to vote. That is flat out false

The Democrats using that the main reason to turn down the offer of additional polling places in minority neighborhoods after record new registrations is outrageous to say the least

As I said in the very response you quoted, that implication was not my intention. I hadn't thought it through before answering Armagh18. It happens sometimes.

So you are saying that potential masses of people having to cast provisional ballots would not, and has never been a problem, including in Georgia? No problems on election day trying to cast them? No problems in trying to reconcile them afterwards?

And just so we're clear, I'm not IMPLYING anything. I'm asking. Given that the Dems were engaged in (at least) outrageous behaviour.

Gmac

The Georgia outrage of course is a smokescreen to keep your eyes off the southern border where the situation is descending into a complete disaster where illegals are just being released into the country with no court date because thee are so many and the agencies can't handle them . What sort of administration sabotages their own country ?

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 02, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 01:25:09 PM
Don't mind the facts J70

You're a smart person

Why do you just constantly repeat Democratic talking points, without using your intelligence to actually differentiate between facts and spin?

Believe it or not, I don't go looking up MSNBC or the DNC spin releases to get my information. The bit that angered you this morning was simply my posting something without thinking it through. I'm not aware of any other "misinformation" or "Democratic talking points" that I've posted. I stand by my views on the water/snack issue.

My opinions are my own. They just happen to align much more with the Democrats than they do with what is left of the Republican Party. The Democrats ideas are, for the most part, based on decency and a realistic and intellectually honest view of science,  morality and the needs of people and the environment. The GOP ideas, such as they are, are based almost purely on loyalty to Donald Trump, white people as victims, and owning the libs.   

As I've said before, the vast majority of our exchanges are me responding to some complaint YOU have about something the Dems or the media do or did. You charge in, with absolute certainty, proclaiming something the Dems or the media did as terrible or repugnant or hypocritical. I then question your certainty. And around and around we go, almost every time.

You may be right about what happened in Georgia, that the Democrats should have agreed to that deal, that it would have worked out better. I concede that because of Raffensperger, and because I honestly don't know enough about the background of what took place. But again, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate to your certainty about the "outrageousness" of what the Dems did.

As I see it, you're pissed off about the backlash to and criticism of the GA voting changes and the similar bills being lined up across the country. I see them as part of an GOP response to high voter turnout (which they openly acknowledge as harmful to their prospects) and the party's mass embrace of a false conspiracy theory that culminated in the events of January 6th. Individually, certain changes may be well intended, but others clearly aren't, and the timing of this movement cannot be explained away.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2021, 03:10:16 PM
The Georgia outrage of course is a smokescreen to keep your eyes off the southern border where the situation is descending into a complete disaster where illegals are just being released into the country with no court date because thee are so many and the agencies can't handle them . What sort of administration sabotages their own country ?

I'm seeing the border problems on the NBC nightly news every day.

GA voting stuff, not so much.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:29:46 PM

you aren't hearing about it from administration

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2021, 03:31:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:29:46 PM

you aren't hearing about it from administration

Here's something from yesterday: https://www.npr.org/2021/04/01/982795844/biden-administration-considers-overhaul-of-asylum-system-at-southern-border

They let the press into one of the overcrowded facilities earlier this week: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national-politics/biden-admin-allows-reporters-inside-border-detention-facility-revealing-overcrowded-conditions

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:52:44 PM
Plus, its Infrastructure Week.  ;)

This time with actual proposals!

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/982666869/watch-live-president-biden-unveils-2-trillion-infrastructure-plan
billions for bullet trains to nowhere like California you mean , hunter probably a good consultant for that project.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 02, 2021, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 02, 2021, 03:52:44 PM
Plus, its Infrastructure Week.  ;)

This time with actual proposals!

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/982666869/watch-live-president-biden-unveils-2-trillion-infrastructure-plan
billions for bullet trains to nowhere like California you mean , hunter probably a good consultant for that project.

Or proposals that acknowledge the reality of things like climate change, rather than pretending that it, and its effects on things like infrastructure, does not exist.

Might be incentives available for Texas to winterproof its electrical production and distribution.