The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

1. We'll have to agree to disagree on the water/snacks in line. I think its absolutely ludicrous and unnecessary and a purely vindictive reaction to the turnout of Democratic voters in GA.

2. Its hard to avail of a mail-in vote instead when you show up on election day or even a few days before.

3. The "going forward we'll fix it" rule is all well and good, but (a) it doesn't do much good for the voters stuck at that moment and (b) I won't hold my breath about the receptiveness and enthusiasm of GA GOP lawmakers to fix it going forward.

4. I'll have to take your word on that, but even if its true, so what? The water and snacks should still be available.

Last word on this to you...

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 07:56:09 PM
1. We'll have to agree to disagree on the water/snacks in line. I think its absolutely ludicrous and unnecessary and a purely vindictive reaction to the turnout of Democratic voters in GA.

2. Its hard to avail of a mail-in vote instead when you show up on election day or even a few days before.

3. The "going forward we'll fix it" rule is all well and good, but (a) it doesn't do much good for the voters stuck at that moment and (b) I won't hold my breath about the receptiveness and enthusiasm of GA GOP lawmakers to fix it going forward.

4. I'll have to take your word on that, but even if its true, so what? The water and snacks should still be available.

Regarding # 2 many states prohibit same day registration (including Blue states). If you meet the cutoff you qualify for a mail in ballot (at least in MA)

So following your logic let's just have a free for all at every polling station on Election Day. Show up armed, show up dressed life Antifa, hand out Kobe beef sandwiches and Saratoga water, campaign in the line and inside the polling place.

Eamonnca1

whitey

In 2020 there were 2 million extra voters and record turnout

In response they have expanded early voting and introduced no excuse vote by mail

Going forward ,The only people who wait in line for 8 hours are those who chose to do so

I haven't set foot inside a polling booth on Election Day in about 10 years due to early and absentee voting in Massachusetts

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 08:57:02 PM

Regarding # 2 many states prohibit same day registration (including Blue states). If you meet the cutoff you qualify for a mail in ballot (at least in MA)

So following your logic let's just have a free for all at every polling station on Election Day. Show up armed, show up dressed life Antifa, hand out Kobe beef sandwiches and Saratoga water, campaign in the line and inside the polling place.

Yes, that is what I said. ::)

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 31, 2021, 09:07:21 PM

more black people show up in person and later in day maybe or has to be racism ?

J70

So now we are getting lectured that black people shouldn't just show up on election day and should partake more in postal voting?

And this after a full-on campaign (followed by a fomented, attempted coup) by Trump and the GOP that postal voting = fraud! (He's still going on about it for anyone who has missed it)

Its funny how these things always hit minorities, especially blacks, the worst, and how they've gotten worse since the Supreme Court threw out the Voting Rights Act, but there is no way that there's any malignant intent involved.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 11:40:52 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 08:57:02 PM

Yes, that is what I said. ::)

Many blue states don't have same day registration either you know

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2021, 12:21:18 AM
So now we are getting lectured that black people shouldn't just show up on election day and should partake more in postal voting?

And this after a full-on campaign (followed by a fomented, attempted coup) by Trump and the GOP that postal voting = fraud! (He's still going on about it for anyone who has missed it)

Its funny how these things always hit minorities, especially blacks, the worst, and how they've gotten worse since the Supreme Court threw out the Voting Rights Act, but there is no way that there's any malignant intent involved.
who is running those polling stations gop people or local  Democrats?
Eamon just posted something to stir doesn't mean it's true

J70

Quote from: Gmac on April 01, 2021, 01:15:43 AM

The GOP is and has been in charge of GA, including voting resources and rules.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2021, 10:12:56 AM

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/924527679/why-do-nonwhite-georgia-voters-have-to-wait-in-line-for-hours-too-few-polling-pl

"Besides the board's actions, the Georgia Senate considered a proposal filed in February and endorsed by Raffensperger. It would have required county elections supervisors to add more equipment or poll workers, or split up any precincts with more than 2,000 voters, if there was a wait longer than an hour measured at three points on Election Day.

More than 1,500 of Georgia's 2,655 precincts have at least 2,000 voters — many of them in urban Democratic counties — and Raffensperger said at the time that voters should never have to wait more than 30 minutes.

But the bill, SB 463, was opposed by Democratic lawmakers and voting rights groups, who argued that any revamping in an election year would cause confusion and create more ways to keep people from casting their ballot."

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 01, 2021, 04:27:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2021, 10:12:56 AM

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/924527679/why-do-nonwhite-georgia-voters-have-to-wait-in-line-for-hours-too-few-polling-pl

"Besides the board's actions, the Georgia Senate considered a proposal filed in February and endorsed by Raffensperger. It would have required county elections supervisors to add more equipment or poll workers, or split up any precincts with more than 2,000 voters, if there was a wait longer than an hour measured at three points on Election Day.

More than 1,500 of Georgia's 2,655 precincts have at least 2,000 voters — many of them in urban Democratic counties — and Raffensperger said at the time that voters should never have to wait more than 30 minutes.

But the bill, SB 463, was opposed by Democratic lawmakers and voting rights groups, who argued that any revamping in an election year would cause confusion and create more ways to keep people from casting their ballot."

Did you read the entire article, or just pull out that paragraph?

Raffensperger seems like a respectable politician to me, at least trying to do the right thing. If only the GOP had a few more like him.

whitey

Oh I read it alright

Just proves it's not as black and white as you guys are making it out to be (no pun intended)

How many of the issues would have been solved if this law was passed?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/bill-add-georgia-precincts-faces-unexpected-opponent-voting-groups/CqngPZCnA9mSNBqQcRYyxO/%3foutputType=amp

The main sticking point seems to be the automatic mailing of ballots to every registered voter. In bluest of blue Massachusetts they don't even do that.....you have to request it

And what happened in RI is exactly why you don't send ballots out unsolicited

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/1581900453204/data-100k-mail-in-ballots-returned-as-undeliverable-in-rhode-island

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 01, 2021, 06:02:29 PM
Oh I read it alright

Just proves it's not as black and white as you guys are making it out to be (no pun intended)

How many of the issues would have been solved if this law was passed?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/bill-add-georgia-precincts-faces-unexpected-opponent-voting-groups/CqngPZCnA9mSNBqQcRYyxO/%3foutputType=amp

The main sticking point seems to be the automatic mailing of ballots to every registered voter. In bluest of blue Massachusetts they don't even do that.....you have to request it

And what happened in RI is exactly why you don't send ballots out unsolicited

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/1581900453204/data-100k-mail-in-ballots-returned-as-undeliverable-in-rhode-island

WOULD the issues have been solved? What steps were GA proposing to inform people of changes in their polling location and avoid election day chaos if the bill had passed? This appears to have been a major concern for the GA Dems i.e. long-standing polling locations changing in the period between the primary and the general election. And its not like GOP operatives in the south haven't in the past tried to sow confusion among minority voters in terms of polling locations and dates.

How did the unsolicited mail ballots go in all the other states that did it? How did they go in GA for the primaries?

whitey

So in other words whatever the Republicans did to solve the anticipated problems it was never going to satisfy the Democrats

Damned if you do....damned if you don't

(Funny how I needed a work colleague to tell me about this.....very scant coverage in the media who are up in arms over "voter suppression " telling the whole story )