The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 30, 2021, 05:56:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 30, 2021, 05:25:01 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 30, 2021, 05:07:14 PM
You state (

"They'd be very glad to get the offer of a cold bottle of water or a slice of pizza"

(Which is false)

The offer is still there.....you just can't approach people in the line.

Would you want to be approached while in line by a guy (legally) carrying a gun wearing an NRA tee shirt?

What if the line is 5 minutes...would they still be allowed hand stuff out?

What can you wear while handing stuff out? Could you wear an Antifa or proud boys jacket

Could you hand water out if you're carrying a gun?

Could you be dressed from head to toe in black with a ski mask

Who will police the "handed outers" to ensure they're not campaigning in the line?

How is it false?

Because YOU say so? Basic human decency and manners bedamned?

And the fact that you are now reaching for f**king antifa, men in balaclavas and people dangling weapons and the rest shows how ludicrous your argument is.

If you want to impose dress codes and ban electioneering aimed at those queuing up, there is nothing stopping rules being put in place. Employ a bunch of teenagers for the day if you want.

But banning the distribution of drinks and food to people standing in line, especially when lines might be very long and people don't want to lose their spot by heading off for refreshments, is a naked attempt to limit participation.

You're very naive if you think people won't be solicited while standing in line

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/politics/giving-free-food-to-voters-allowed-in-practice-despite-legal-gray-area/RBCFSSGRJRFOLJWAIEOWYBBBHY/%3foutputType=amp

In Dougherty County, armed residents confronted volunteers for the nonprofit group Black Voters Matter who were giving out snacks and sample ballots to voters waiting in line Oct. 16

Again, I ask, so what?

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 30, 2021, 08:48:14 PM
So if the new "restrictions" in Georgia are as racist and restrictive as the Democrats  claim,  then why didn't Joe do something about identical "restrictions" that existed and still exist in his home state of Delaware during the almost 40 years he represented that state in the Senate?

I guess they work for the people of Delaware.

Whereas if the election didn't go how the dominant party in the state wanted it to, and they responded straight away by trying to come up with all kinds of ways to drive down participation, you might have a point.

GA's rules, and those in loads of states across the country, especially when it came to mail-in voting, worked just fine until the great orange turd decreed otherwise. Suddenly high turnout became an enemy that had to be urgently beaten back.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 12:55:20 PM
You state (

"They'd be very glad to get the offer of a cold bottle of water or a slice of pizza"

(Which is false)

Would you want to be approached while in line by a guy (legally) carrying a gun wearing an NRA tee shirt?

What can you wear while handing stuff out? Could you wear an Antifa or proud boys jacket

Who will police the "handed outers" to ensure they're not campaigning in the line?

How is it false?

And the fact that you are now reaching for f**king antifa, men in balaclavas and people dangling weapons and the rest shows how ludicrous your argument is.

If you want to impose dress codes and ban electioneering aimed at those queuing up, there is nothing stopping rules being put in place. Employ a bunch of teenagers for the day if you want.

But banning the distribution of drinks and food to people standing in line, especially when lines might be very long and people don't want to lose their spot by heading off for refreshments, is a naked attempt to limit participation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/politics/giving-free-food-to-voters-allowed-in-practice-despite-legal-gray-area/RBCFSSGRJRFOLJWAIEOWYBBBHY/%3foutputType=amp

In Dougherty County, armed residents confronted volunteers for the nonprofit group Black Voters Matter who were giving out snacks and sample ballots to voters waiting in line Oct. 16

Again, I ask, so what?

There have been rules since time began against campaigning at polling places....those rules are there for a reason.

Maybe you think those rules should be abolished too.

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 01:12:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 12:55:20 PM
You state (

(Which is false)

How is it false?

Again, I ask, so what?

There have been rules since time began against campaigning at polling places....those rules are there for a reason.

Maybe you think those rules should be abolished too.

1. I've already suggested that the drinks etc  could be distributed in a non-partisan manner. Evidently that is still not ok.
2. I didn't say anything about abolishing rules against campaigning on site. I merely asked why someone would care if BLM reps were giving out the snacks and drinks (or even sample ballots). I mean, I know why some reactionary fuckwit who doesn't like minorities and thinks cops can do no wrong might care, but the vast majority of people?

whitey

Lol-you've just proven my point

So you've gone from saying it's okay to just hand out water and snacks to now saying it's okay to hand out election literature to people waiting in line

What's next?

Denn Forever

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 01:36:50 PM

So you've gone from saying it's okay to just hand out water and snacks to now saying it's okay to hand out election literature to people waiting in line

What's next?

Surely the point is to keep people safe an healthy?  i suppose if they sponges soaked in Viniger that would  be ok.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 01:36:50 PM

What's next?

Proven what point?

You're jumping around like a rabbit from one issue to the next and it can be hard to keep up. One minute its water and pizza. Then we're on to antifa and BLM intimidation. All in an attempt to muddy the waters in that there is NOTHING to see here, the GOP are behaving in a perfectly reasonable and democratic fashion, and its the Dems and liberals who are at fault.

I personally have no issue with someone handing out a sample ballot. I do not see why that would upset anyone (hence my question), but I get that there are idiots out there looking for a fight, hence its probably better to keep it away from the polling queue. Is that clear enough?

whitey

LOL

You started with just snacks and water and now you've progressed to handing out election materials to people waiting in line.

That's what the BLM group in GA was doing when they were confronted-under the guise of handing out snacks and water they started campaigning in the line which is prohibited. And that's the issue I have

There are laws against campaigning at polling places that have been in effect for centuries, and they're there for a reason

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 02:28:21 PM
LOL

You started with just snacks and water and now you've progressed to handing out election materials to people waiting in line.

That's what the BLM group in GA was doing when they were confronted-under the guise of handing out snacks and water they started campaigning in the line which is prohibited. And that's the issue I have

There are laws against campaigning at polling places that have been in effect for centuries, and they're there for a reason

You can prohibit and police the electioneering without stopping people giving out snacks and water.

As I've said a number of times...

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 02:51:16 PM
LOL

You can prohibit and police the electioneering without stopping people giving out snacks and water.

Who's going to police it?

Who's going to pay for it to be policed?

And by the same token you  can give out snacks and water without approaching people who are already in line......the law actually allows for that.

You set up an unmanned booth where people can grab what they want before they stand in line

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 03:11:58 PM
LOL

And by the same token you  can give out snacks and water without approaching people who are already in line......the law actually allows for that.

You set up an unmanned booth where people can grab what they want before they stand in line

And the law doesn't allow for people who have to wait hours and hours, as is often the case in black districts of Georgia.

Its absolutely bizarre that you would have an objection to people in the queue being provided water and snacks. And to be honest, I question your sincerity on that.

As for paying for policing, this is absolutely a situation where public expenditure can be justified. If you don't want to pony up to provide adequate resources to allow people to vote quickly and efficiently, then you need to facilitate participation in other ways.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 31, 2021, 02:36:22 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 30, 2021, 11:40:46 PM
Pizza-Gaetz ???

https://www.axios.com/matt-gaetz-sexual-misconduct-investigation-2755fd4f-f72e-4283-b8ac-9233c952b914.html
he should resign immediately like cuomo.

Will any GOPers call for him to resign?
don't know let's see how it plays out but doesn't sound good , in cuomos case there have been quite a few accusers, Democrats in NY want to install the AG as governor who is even more loony left than cuomo  so always more to the situation than appears .

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 31, 2021, 05:01:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 31, 2021, 02:36:22 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 30, 2021, 11:40:46 PM
Pizza-Gaetz ???

https://www.axios.com/matt-gaetz-sexual-misconduct-investigation-2755fd4f-f72e-4283-b8ac-9233c952b914.html
he should resign immediately like cuomo.

Will any GOPers call for him to resign?
don't know let's see how it plays out but doesn't sound good , in cuomos case there have been quite a few accusers, Democrats in NY want to install the AG as governor who is even more loony left than cuomo  so always more to the situation than appears .

1. I agree that it should be allowed to be played out. Gaetz is entitled to a presumption of innocence and to defend himself, just like anyone else.
2. Most NY Democrats, and all of the prominent ones, have called for Cuomo to resign. He is saying he will hang on pending the state investigation. He's entitled to do that, even though he hasn't been as generous himself in the past. Tish James is doing her job, investigating it as warranted. It was her who exposed Cuomo's number fudging on the nursing homes. Not sure what else there is to say about it in terms to there being more to it, beyond the fact that Cuomo probably won't garner much sympathy in Albany from either side of the aisle. I certainly haven't heard anything about James being "installed" to replace Cuomo. If he goes down, Kathy Hochul replaces him until 2023. That is the law.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 31, 2021, 04:53:13 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 31, 2021, 03:11:58 PM
LOL

And the law doesn't allow for people who have to wait hours and hours, as is often the case in black districts of Georgia.

Its absolutely bizarre that you would have an objection to people in the queue being provided water and snacks. And to be honest, I question your sincerity on that.

As for paying for policing, this is absolutely a situation where public expenditure can be justified. If you don't want to pony up to provide adequate resources to allow people to vote quickly and efficiently, then you need to facilitate participation in other ways.

I have no problem people being offered water and snacks-set up a station and let them help themselves. That's what the law allows

I have a problem with people being approached and potentially canvassed while standing in line.....there's a reason why they have laws about this and these laws have been in place forever in both blue and red states

Secondly....these people who are hypothetically waiting in line can in the future avail of "no excuse" mail in ballots. In MA they even send you a letter asking you if you want one and you don't have to pay postage when you return  the request or the ballot itself

Thirdly, if lines exceed an hour (I think) at a polling booth, going forward they are mandated by law to make changes before the next election

Fourthly-based on what I saw, some people picked the first day of early voting to essentially make a point. Not saying there weren't lines on Election Day, but it would be  like going to the mall to do all your Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving. You could go the following day and the place would be half empty