The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

There ARE far too many and the conditions are NOT acceptable. But they'll work through them and get them sorted.

What they won't do is rip the little ones out of their parents arms and ship them across the country to be lost in the system, or send unaccompanied minors back across the border to who knows what.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 29, 2021, 12:50:28 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 26, 2021, 07:51:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 26, 2021, 06:29:22 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 26, 2021, 05:23:18 PM
J70-I haven't read the rationale for the drink/snack  ban in the voting line (the media is only reporting that it's an assault on voting rights)

But one thing I do know is that you are prohibited from campaigning within a certain number of yards of a polling station entrance. Would approaching people in a voting line offering them snacks and drinks while wearing a Biden/Trump tee shirt be see as violating that?

Secondly-what passes for a snack-could you give out Lobster Rolls for example? The biggest Trump supporter in my town is a lobster fisherman. Why couldn't he hand out uncooked lobsters if the Democrats are handing out Libster rolls?

Who would be responsible for policing what's given out?

Who would be responsible for ensuring people aren't violating the distancing rules

Edit: the prohibition is on approaching people while they are in line and handing out food/drinks. You can still set up a food/drink station and people can help themselves

Are you suggesting that people will change their vote because someone gave them a bottle of water or a slice of pizza or even a lobster roll?

If you leave the queue to go to the food station, do you get to keep your place?

I couldn't give two fucks if its someone in a Biden tshirt or a Trump tshirt. Its a stupid rule, and the fact that they would go after this right now, as part of the overall push, tells you all you need to know about the motivation of the GOP. "Election security" me arse.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2012/11/06/164353389/voting-queue-etiquette-hey-buddy-that-s-out-of-line

No one should be approaching anyone in a voting line imho

I would be quite agitated if I were approached regardless of which party they represented

Mind your own fvckin business.

Most people aren't like you. They'd be very glad to get the offer of a cold bottle of water or a slice of pizza when waiting hours in a queue to vote. If you don't want it, then you can politely tell them so... like a normal human being.

Well that's just flat out misinformation

You can still avail of the offer of food or drinks...just help yourself at the unmanned station. It's called "line warming" for a reason....it's a blatant attempt to influence and warm up the voter

If anyone approached me in a voting line for whatever reason, I would instruct the police to arrest them on the spot. In my town, candidates can have donuts in the school parking lot.....you just  swing by and get one before you get in line if you eat donuts

Pretty much the only political show I listen to anymore is Michael Smerconish (who's as down the middle as you can get)

Here's his take on it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-dGDw0kAmI&feature=youtu.be

Gabriel_Hurl

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 30, 2021, 12:00:46 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 29, 2021, 12:50:28 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 26, 2021, 07:51:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 26, 2021, 06:29:22 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 26, 2021, 05:23:18 PM
J70-I haven't read the rationale for the drink/snack  ban in the voting line (the media is only reporting that it's an assault on voting rights)

But one thing I do know is that you are prohibited from campaigning within a certain number of yards of a polling station entrance. Would approaching people in a voting line offering them snacks and drinks while wearing a Biden/Trump tee shirt be see as violating that?

Secondly-what passes for a snack-could you give out Lobster Rolls for example? The biggest Trump supporter in my town is a lobster fisherman. Why couldn't he hand out uncooked lobsters if the Democrats are handing out Libster rolls?

Who would be responsible for policing what's given out?

Who would be responsible for ensuring people aren't violating the distancing rules

Edit: the prohibition is on approaching people while they are in line and handing out food/drinks. You can still set up a food/drink station and people can help themselves

Are you suggesting that people will change their vote because someone gave them a bottle of water or a slice of pizza or even a lobster roll?

If you leave the queue to go to the food station, do you get to keep your place?

I couldn't give two fucks if its someone in a Biden tshirt or a Trump tshirt. Its a stupid rule, and the fact that they would go after this right now, as part of the overall push, tells you all you need to know about the motivation of the GOP. "Election security" me arse.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2012/11/06/164353389/voting-queue-etiquette-hey-buddy-that-s-out-of-line

No one should be approaching anyone in a voting line imho

I would be quite agitated if I were approached regardless of which party they represented

Mind your own fvckin business.

Most people aren't like you. They'd be very glad to get the offer of a cold bottle of water or a slice of pizza when waiting hours in a queue to vote. If you don't want it, then you can politely tell them so... like a normal human being.

Well that's just flat out misinformation

You can still avail of the offer of food or drinks...just help yourself at the unmanned station. It's called "line warming" for a reason....it's a blatant attempt to influence and warm up the voter

If anyone approached me in a voting line for whatever reason, I would instruct the police to arrest them on the spot. In my town, candidates can have donuts in the school parking lot.....you just  swing by and get one before you get in line if you eat donuts

Pretty much the only political show I listen to anymore is Michael Smerconish (who's as down the middle as you can get)

Here's his take on it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6-dGDw0kAmI&feature=youtu.be

I'm sorry, what exactly is the misinformation?

Perhaps I grew up among and know a completely different kind of people than you did, but in my experience, the vast majority of people would happily accept a bottle of water or slice or else politely refuse. Its basic manners where I come from.

They certainly wouldn't be calling the f**king cops.

And once again, who the hell is going to go into a voting booth and change their mind because someone gave them a bottle of water?

whitey

You state (

"They'd be very glad to get the offer of a cold bottle of water or a slice of pizza"

(Which is false)

The offer is still there.....you just can't approach people in the line. You can set up a stand where people can help themselves before during or after they stand in line to vote

Would you want to be approached while in line by a guy (legally) carrying a gun wearing an NRA tee shirt?

What if the line is 5 minutes...would they still be allowed hand stuff out?

What can you wear while handing stuff out? Could you wear an Antifa or proud boys jacket

Could you hand water out if you're carrying a gun?

Could you be dressed from head to toe in black with a ski mask

Who will police the "handed outers" to ensure they're not campaigning in the line?

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 30, 2021, 05:07:14 PM
You state (

"They'd be very glad to get the offer of a cold bottle of water or a slice of pizza"

(Which is false)

The offer is still there.....you just can't approach people in the line.

Would you want to be approached while in line by a guy (legally) carrying a gun wearing an NRA tee shirt?

What can you wear while handing stuff out? Could you wear an Antifa or proud boys jacket

Who will police the "handed outers" to ensure they're not campaigning in the line?

How is it false?

Because YOU say so? Basic human decency and manners bedamned?

And the fact that you are now reaching for f**king antifa, men in balaclavas and people dangling weapons and the rest shows how ludicrous your argument is.

If you want to impose dress codes and ban electioneering aimed at those queuing up, there is nothing stopping rules being put in place. Employ a bunch of teenagers for the day if you want.

But banning the distribution of drinks and food to people standing in line, especially when lines might be very long and people don't want to lose their spot by heading off for refreshments, is a naked attempt to limit participation.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on March 30, 2021, 05:25:01 PM
You state (

(Which is false)

How is it false?

And the fact that you are now reaching for f**king antifa, men in balaclavas and people dangling weapons and the rest shows how ludicrous your argument is.

If you want to impose dress codes and ban electioneering aimed at those queuing up, there is nothing stopping rules being put in place. Employ a bunch of teenagers for the day if you want.

But banning the distribution of drinks and food to people standing in line, especially when lines might be very long and people don't want to lose their spot by heading off for refreshments, is a naked attempt to limit participation.
why would handing out a bottle of water be more beneficial to Democrat voters than gop ?
Is it the same with ID , do Democrat politicians think all their voters are idiots and can't get an ID and can't afford a bottle of water ? Don't Democrat voters get sick of this condescending attitude.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 30, 2021, 05:25:01 PM
You state (

(Which is false)

How is it false?

You're very naive if you think people won't be solicited while standing in line

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/politics/giving-free-food-to-voters-allowed-in-practice-despite-legal-gray-area/RBCFSSGRJRFOLJWAIEOWYBBBHY/%3foutputType=amp

In Dougherty County, armed residents confronted volunteers for the nonprofit group Black Voters Matter who were giving out snacks and sample ballots to voters waiting in line Oct. 16

Eamonnca1

Gmac

Pete wants to have a mileage tax I see , what are these arsehokes smoking

whitey

So if the new "restrictions" in Georgia are as racist and restrictive as the Democrats  claim,  then why didn't Joe do something about identical "restrictions" that existed and still exist in his home state of Delaware during the almost 40 years he represented that state in the Senate?

whitey