The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: stew on January 04, 2018, 10:48:40 AM
The Clintons have a fire at one of their mansions in  new  york, reading online the comments from republicans about them are every bit as bad as those about  trump.

Are you talking about your own comments too??  ::)

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on January 04, 2018, 11:00:43 AM
Bannon knows where the bodies are. And by the looks of things Kushner and Ivanka are useless

Having lived here for 30 years, one thing I have realized is that the apparent "success" of many rich people's kids ( academic or otherwise) is easily bought

Main Street

That New Yorker excerpt has brightened up the day.
Wolff's book is gonna be a best seller,  straight to the top of the bestseller list with a bullet

J70

J70

Quote from: Syferus on January 04, 2018, 11:22:28 AM
Quote from: Declan on January 04, 2018, 10:29:43 AM
Though I see Trump used the cover of this Bannon controversy to quietly disband his 'voting commission' which he claimed would prove 3 million people voted illegally for Clinton. Unlikely he'll concede there was no evidence to support his claims of voting fraud. More switch & bait.

You're living in a fantasy land where normal rules of politics apply if you think he'll ever admit to being wrong.

Indeed. The main reason I posted about this yesterday was the fact that Trump was laughably and pathetically trying to discredit and downplay the significance of Bannon in his campaign and administration. Just like they did with Manafort and Flynn and the rest. Its not like I'm expecting the House GOP to jump on Bannon's alleged claims and put the committee investigations into overdrive, like they would have with similar charges about Clinton.

joemamas

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 03, 2018, 11:21:43 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 03, 2018, 09:54:27 PM

Mark my words.......Bannon will now become the most believable, credible person since the time of Mother Teresa-lol

What was so credible about that old witch?

Classy !!

whitey

Quote from: Main Street on January 04, 2018, 01:06:13 PM
Wolff's book is gonna be a best seller,  straight to the top of the bestseller list with a bullet

I'm sure it will be about as credible as Clinton Cash which was also  a NY Times Bestseller

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2018, 02:35:36 PM

I'm sure it will be about as credible as Clinton Cash which was also  a NY Times Bestseller

Apparently he has the tapes to back it up . . . the circus is coming to town!!!

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on January 04, 2018, 03:05:50 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 04, 2018, 02:35:36 PM

Apparently he has the tapes to back it up . . . the circus is coming to town!!!

If 1/10 of what was "apparently" out there about Trump, he would have had his turn in the elecitric chair by now

J70

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 04, 2018, 03:55:02 AM
Based on the excerpts of Wolff's book that I've read so far, as much as I'd like it to be true, I have to approach it with skepticism. He seems to have had access to so many people, quoting them at length, a closeness that no other journalist enjoyed, that I have to question its veracity.  On the other hand, given Trump's propensity for lying, maybe such a book is just what he deserves.  But, in the end, I want books that are well researched and true, ones that aren't glorified tabloid journalism, which I fear this one may be.  I need credible sources to corroborate this guy's claims. In the meantime, Covfefe to Trump!

From the New York magazine excerpt:

HOW HE GOT THE STORY
This story is adapted from Michael Wolff's book Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, to be published by Henry Holt & Co. on January 9. Wolff, who chronicles the administration from Election Day to this past October, conducted conversations and interviews over a period of 18 months with the president, most members of his senior staff, and many people to whom they in turn spoke. Shortly after Trump's inauguration, Wolff says, he was able to take up "something like a semi-permanent seat on a couch in the West Wing" — an idea encouraged by the president himself. Because no one was in a position to either officially approve or formally deny such access, Wolff became "more a constant interloper than an invited guest." There were no ground rules placed on his access, and he was required to make no promises about how he would report on what he witnessed.

Since then, he conducted more than 200 interviews. In true Trumpian fashion, the administration's lack of experience and disdain for political norms made for a hodgepodge of journalistic challenges. Information would be provided off-the-record or on deep background, then casually put on the record. Sources would fail to set any parameters on the use of a conversation, or would provide accounts in confidence, only to subsequently share their views widely. And the president's own views, private as well as public, were constantly shared by others. The adaptation presented here offers a front-row view of Trump's presidency, from his improvised transition to his first months in the Oval Office.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-book-donald-trump.html

seafoid

Wolff quotes News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch as calling Trump a "f**king idiot." He quotes former Fox News chief Roger Ailes encouraging Bannon not to "give Donald too much to think about." The book reports that former deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh thought the White House was incompetently run. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and former chief of staff Reince Priebus believe Trump to be an "idiot." Gary Cohn, the president's top economic adviser, regards Trump as "dumb as shit." The president's top national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, considers him a "dope." Even Trump's beloved daughter, Ivanka, seems to be in on the gag.

"She treated her father with a degree of detachment, even irony," wrote Wolff, "going so far as to make fun of his comb-over to others."

None of this, notably, includes Secretary of State Rex Tillerson own take on his boss. A "f**king moron" is how he reportedly deemed Trump. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-enraged-personally-dictates-scathing-denouncement-of-one-time-top-strategist-steve-bannon

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/04/trump-lawyers-book-steve-bannon-white-house

Administration officials, he suggested, do not believe Donald Trump is capable of fulfilling his role as president.

"Everybody was painfully aware of the increasing pace of his repetitions," Wolff wrote. "It used to be inside of 30 minutes he'd repeat, word-for-word and expression-for-expression, the same three stories – now it was within 10 minutes. Indeed, many of his tweets were the product of his repetitions – he just couldn't stop saying something."

He added: "Hoping for the best, with their personal futures as well as the country's future depending on it, my indelible impression of talking to them and observing them through much of the first year of his presidency, is that they all – 100% – came to believe he was incapable of functioning in his job."

In a final anecdote, Wolff wrote: "At Mar-a-Lago, just before the new year, a heavily made-up Trump failed to recognize a succession of old friends."

Eamonnca1

What do you think, lads? Was Samantha Bee on to something when she "joked" that Trump can't actually read and showed all sorts of clips of him refusing to read legal documents during depositions?

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 04, 2018, 04:54:50 PM
What do you think, lads? Was Samantha Bee on to something when she "joked" that Trump can't actually read and showed all sorts of clips of him refusing to read legal documents during depositions?
I bet he has dementia
https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/548759/