The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

QuoteYou're not going to get me mad. I didn't say our climate isn't changing. I just don't fully support it's man made. Facts have been distorted before on both sides and I always say follow the money and right now the money side is toward a lot of bogus carbon credits and such. As for us pulling out I think it was good because the US had a bum deal. China didn't have to curb or pay. If it is going to impact us it should be fair across the board. Not affecting one country more than another. That was what was wrong with the Paris accord

thats from a mate of mine over here who is a supporter... so his response it would seem is more focused on the actual agreement not climate change? would that be true of most supporters?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Iceman on June 02, 2017, 02:55:59 PM
I don't like Trump and I'm all for protecting the world. I'm all for battling global warming and climate change. I think the US should have stayed and led the movement and I think what Trump did was a mistake.
But when conversing with friends who think it was a good call to leave I don't have any rebuttals. They say there is no evidence for climate change that it's all cyclical. We're on a 240 year cycle coming off the warming cycle and going in to the cooling cycle after 2019/2020 - which I think is horse shit...
But whats the come back - what evidence do you present to someone who thinks like that....

They're also talking about cost to american tax payers for something that has no evidence and leaning on that.

I've no interest in debating it all that much with them. but I'm curious to hear how you would respond.

So basically they are saying that the earth is heating up but they refute that it caused by Green house gas emissions?

Ive read alot of stuff of climate change skeptics and many of them changed their mind when they looked at fresh studies as the link is obvious, however all that is essentially an appeal to authority/consensus, so it may not sway them much in a casual conversation.

The first thing I would do is ask them what is causing these cycles and what the evidence is for their existence?

The most obvious and clear cut rebuttal is that the increase in global temperature appears to be directly related to an increase in CO2 in the atmosphere.

Also more convoluted but more convincing  evidence is the measure of radiation leaving the earth. Radiation levels have been measured by satellites orbiting the earth and have dropped from the 70s or 80s, since the radiation is not leaving the earth it is somehow being absorbed. But what is absorbed the radiation? Well a specific frequency of radiation being emitted has dropped and sure enough the frequency of radiation is the same type absorbed by CO2 whose levels have increased over the same time period. More radiation relates to more heat and sure enough the temperature of the earth is getting warmer. I read this study a wean years back and it put me from sort of 75% certain to 98%  as to the cause of global warming. It was the smoking gun for me.

J70

Plus, we've only known that CO2 is a greenhouse gas for what... 150 years!

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Iceman on June 02, 2017, 03:54:57 PM
Quote from: Declan on June 02, 2017, 03:52:02 PM
QuoteThey're also talking about cost to american tax payers for something that has no evidence and leaning on that.

Well NASA have a site aimed at kids which might help them

https://climatekids.nasa.gov/climate-change-evidence/

Or if they can read you could point them to these

http://www.popsci.com/evidence-climate-change-is-real#page-9
https://skepticalscience.com/evidence-for-global-warming.htm

thanks Declan this is exactly what I was looking for

... although most of this is just about the evidence of Global warming which your friends dont appear to dispute.

THe only evidence it represents as to the link with CO2 is the correlation between temp rise and CO2 increase which they could pass of as circumstantial and/or partial.

seafoid

These are good on twitter re US politics

@kurteichenwald
@davidfrum
@normornstein
@danpfeiffer
@mattyglesias
@ananavarro
@anneapplebaum
@joshtpm 

whitey

Human impact on global warming is minimal

Climate change is a hoax and is nothing more than a carefully camouflaged attempt at redistribution of wealth

www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/02/05/in-their-own-words-climate-alarmists-debunk-their-science/amp/

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on June 02, 2017, 06:04:18 PM

Climate change is a hoax and is nothing more than a carefully camouflaged attempt at redistribution of wealth

www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/02/05/in-their-own-words-climate-alarmists-debunk-their-science/amp/

So Climate Change isnt happening but human activity has no little impact on Global Warming???

Would the Global Warming not be very definition of Climate change?

foxcommander

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2017, 04:21:26 PM
Dying to get Foxy's view on Trump and climate.
Trump is digging himself into a hole. So is Foxy.

What do you mean? I've said nothing on the hysteria so far.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 02, 2017, 06:39:24 PM

So Climate Change isnt happening but human activity has no little impact on Global Warming???

The planet is warming, but the evidence that is is caused by humans is tenuous at best.  The earth has gone through cycles of cooling and warming throughout history....they were predicting a minor ice age about 30 years ago.

When the statistics began to blow holes in their arguments the environmentalists changed the term from global warming to "climate change". So now if we enter a period of below average temperatures, that too can be blamed on C02.

foxcommander

Anyone watching the hottest comedian in the USA right now?
The Hillary Clinton roadshow is absolutely hilarious.
The "Lap of defeat" 2017 tour is a smash!
Macedonia. PMSL. What material.

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on June 02, 2017, 07:14:05 PM

The planet is warming, but the evidence that is is caused by humans is tenuous at best.  The earth has gone through cycles of cooling and warming throughout history....they were predicting a minor ice age about 30 years ago.

When the statistics began to blow holes in their arguments the environmentalists changed the term from global warming to "climate change". So now if we enter a period of below average temperatures, that too can be blamed on C02.

Surprisingly I partly agree with you... No one knows what exactly is going to happen 10, 50, 100, 500 years down the line. And there is evidence that the extra heat, water and CO2 will spur plant growth and reduce CO2. Not to mention that extra land will be more viable for food production.

However the evidence that Human activity is causing global warming is not tenuous its intrinsically linked.

The heating and cooling cycles in the Earth are due to regular deviations in the Earth orbit, which occur over millennia. There have also been other events causing cooling like volcanic activity etc or warming like position of the land mass and ocean exposure.  Whats causing the current cycle of warming which has taken place over a few centuries?

Please tell me where you think my current understanding of global warming and its affects break down.

Earth Heats up

We emit CO2
CO2 levels are recorded increasing in the atmosphere
Co2 absorbs sun radiation
Radiation emitted from the Earth reduces
Frequency of radiation that reduces is the same as that absorbed by CO2
Radiation remains within the Earths atmosphere

Earth Heats up

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 02, 2017, 07:14:05 PM

Any more vacuous GOP talking points you want to regurgitate?? Unbelievable!

The term "climate change" entered common use through the GOP on the advice of Frank Luntz. It's of a kind with Obamacare and death taxes.

But at least you concede that warming is occurring. Is the "pause" bullshit still not part if the right wing arsenal (I'm sure some say still that there's no warming at all). It's hard to keep up as they change the terms of the "debate" as the evidence forces them further and further back into the corner.

How the existence of natural cycles helps your case is beyond me. It's like pointing to the universal fact of death to dispute a murder charge. CO2 is a proven greenhouse gas. As is the much more potent but (thankfully) rarer, for now, methane.

I also like how you rail against environmentalists but ignore the scientists, as if they're irrelevant to this issue.

Do you value the opinion of antivaxxers over doctors and medical researchers?

seafoid

Fox News‏
@FoxNews
.@VP: "For some reason, this issue of climate change has emerged as a paramount issue for the left - in this country and around the world."

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

foxcommander

Quote from: The Iceman on June 02, 2017, 10:38:09 PM
so the issue seems to be with the accord itself and not the issue?
http://www.dailywire.com/news/17086/excellent-trump-5-reasons-trump-right-pull-out-ben-shapiro?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=060217-news&utm_campaign=restlesspatriot

President Trump is the cause of climate change.

I don't think anyone on the left wants to listen to any other reason that he pulled out.