The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on February 07, 2017, 05:52:13 PM
Quote from: joemamas on February 07, 2017, 04:21:08 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on February 07, 2017, 01:40:01 PM
I see the Obamas are getting the freedom of Dublin for their "moderating and progressive influence on the world stage".

Yes - that's what he did alright. 8 years of failure.

Dublin city council have been hard at work obviously tacking the real issues.

My thoughts exactly. Fu*k me, the biggest issues in Ireland appear to be;

Inability to get a hospital bed, (is this Ireland or some third world country)
Woeful lack of infrastructure Dublin and Galway two examples I am aware of
Homelessness
Drug use in broad daylight (don't mean smoking pot)
Oh almost forgot crime.

but, lets all blame the Donald it is all his fault.
I need to stop reading Irish newspapers

Donald Trump is being blamed for Irish problems of crime, homelessness, infrastructure and so on?

How about this - Why would an irish magazine even think about putting this on the cover (apart from seeking attention)?
Then there's the protests at the US embassy. Morons.

https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2017/02/why-not/
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

seafoid

Quote from: foxcommander on February 07, 2017, 06:41:03 PM
I see the Obamas are getting the freedom of Dublin for their "moderating and progressive influence on the world stage".

Homelessness
Oh almost forgot crime.

Donald Trump is being blamed for Irish problems of crime, homelessness, infrastructure and so on?

How about this - Why would an irish magazine even think about putting this on the cover (apart from seeking attention)?

It wouldn't surprise me. The US is so polarised.
Bannon believes in 80 year cycles. The Revolution, the Civil War, WW2 , now
Lincoln was assassinated at stage 2 

The US is a violent country and 4 Presidents have been assassinated

foxcommander

Homelessness
Oh almost forgot crime.

Maybe they're thinking of asking Obama to come over and fix these. He did a bang up job in the states.

foxcommander

Seeing as President Trump is a good friend of Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick did anyone look into potential Russian hacking of the Atlanta Falcons playbook on Sunday night? Maybe they called in a favour to Vlad at half time.
Would you put it past the Patriots who are fond of the odd bit of cheating?

Eerie echoes of what happened to Hillary. Ahead for so long and then boom!! Meltdown.

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on February 07, 2017, 06:41:03 PM

Homelessness
Oh almost forgot crime.

Do YOU live in Ireland or the US?

Eamonnca1

Unemployment cut in half.
Uninsured rate cut in half.
Dow Jones nearly tripled.
Deficit cut by two thirds.
Historically low inflation.
Automakers booming.
Clean energy doubled.
Bin Laden dead.

Or as conservatives call it, "failure."

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 07, 2017, 07:25:03 PM

Automakers booming.
Clean energy doubled.
Bin Laden dead.

Dow Jones tripled but wages stagnated
Trump won because of that
Unemployment halved but the Fed doesn't count all those who fell out of the count. Labor participation is at 1975 levels
Automakers booming but not as much as auto debt, much of it sub prime
Historically low inflation because of stagnant wages

foxcommander

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2017, 07:33:10 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 07, 2017, 07:25:03 PM

Automakers booming.
Clean energy doubled.
Bin Laden dead.

Dow Jones tripled but wages stagnated
Trump won because of that
Unemployment halved but the Fed doesn't count all those who fell out of the count. Labor participation is at 1975 levels
Automakers booming but not as much as auto debt, much of it sub prime
Historically low inflation because of stagnant wages

The Obama success story :)

blast05

And National debt increased by ~$30,000 per head of population during Obamas terms ... almost doubling the figure from when he took office.

seafoid

Quote from: blast05 on February 07, 2017, 08:23:07 PM
And National debt increased by ~$30,000 per head of population during Obamas terms ... almost doubling the figure from when he took office.
Global debt increased by $60 tn since 2008 vs Global GDP growth of $15 tn
It's very scary

omaghjoe

Quote from: heganboy on February 06, 2017, 07:48:16 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 01, 2017, 06:28:48 AM

Heganboy you maybe have a look into epistemology.
Also maybe you should look into the roots of mathematics and where it comes from.
Then maybe have a look into the philosophy of science and in particular the induction problem

You'll very quickly discover that ALL opinions are based on a series of assumptions.

How maths and science form the basis of a political opinion is also beyond me. Political opinion is based on morals/values which are nothing to do with either maths or science and are in fact purely subjective.
OmaghJoe, meant to get back to this earlier.

sure doesn't it all go back to our friend Descartes "je pense, donc je suis"* but that's a bit of an aside no?

Maybe you're suggesting that we're all not really here, and this is just a figment of my imagination? What in the history of mathematics leads you to say that there are errors in my statement. Some assumptions can be clearly demonstrated as incorrect, and my point may well be that where this is the case then i would say that the opinion is not a valid one.

Ah now Induction! Hume, Popper and Williams and all of that, again a fascinating topic - well for me anyway, but really not getting what you're suggesting here? Are you implying that all opinions are valid- which would be contrary to my post?

If my opinion is that the sun goes round the earth, and yours is that the earth goes round the sun, is my opinion valid?
My hypothesis is that not all opinions are valid has really got little to do with induction or epistemology, but rather that clearly incorrect opinions are invalid.

Hence mathematics and science. If in my opinion I feel that a million and a half people turned up to watch me behind bullet proof glass in Washington DC, and measurable and valid data shows that not to be the case, mathematics and science show that my opinion is not valid, quod erat demonstrandum.

*the latin came after the fact and was just for style points in my opinion (not valid)

Maybe we are here maybe we're not, but follow an objective and deductive logic trail thru skepticism it starts to seem like we arent here, which is a step even beyond the solipsism at the root of deCatres revelation. But it is relevant as when applied epistemologically it demonstrates that we cant be sure of anything.

Well maths is often seen as the epitome of pure logic and it is, but at its root are axioms which are intuitive and dogmatic, you cant reason the logic down any further, however without them maths collapses in on itself, logic needs rules and something concrete to stand on, you just have to accept the axioms and move upwards from there (most do without even realising).

My point about science is the same, it needs something concrete to stand on.... and for it instead of axioms it is empiricism and induction. Now there are a number of fail safes in science like repeatability and falsifiablity but they dont prove either of the two tenets which are again essentially subjective .

Anyway this is fairly irrelevant to your point about how science and maths should form the basis of political opinion, they dont. Although it is formed in a similar way with subjective tenets in the case of politics is basically morals. Take human rights.. what does science of maths say about that...not much until you establish a few things from our own morals and principles, things like empathy and fairness and you then begin to expand and build from on those.

Of course science and maths can back up opinion but they cant form the basis. Political opinion becomes invalid when things don't make sense, when lies are pedaled and logical fallacies abound. Take for example capitalism ultimately I cant say it doesn't work, just that its wrong based on my own ideal of equality means low wealth disparity, but then my neighbor might think its right because his ideal of equality means equal opportunity for financial success, and then the guy across the street might not care about equality at all so he just wants as much as he can get. Who am I to say that these guys are wrong... especially if the later is a solipsist ;)

So to sum up I would say I can trip up people who I disagree with when they state falsehoods, contradict themselves, and apply bad logic, (and vise versa for that matter, as we all do it). But if our disagreement stems from them believing in something like opportunity more than I do at the end of the day I cant really say they're wrong... thats really all Im saying

*BTW wasnt it really the French that just for style points as he was trying to make his opinion more well known to the masses who saw Latin as stuffy and inaccessible?

seafoid

Conway is plamaser in chief but Trump is beyond her pay grade. He is too flagrant and too volatile

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/02/07/trump-kellyanne-conway-lead-full-interview.cnn

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2017, 01:30:44 AM
Conway is finished

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/829045193131380736

Anyone who voted for Trump pays fvck all attention to what CNN or The NY Times has to say....haven't they more important things to be doing such as rigging debates or selectively editing BLM protest videos

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/16/cnn-edits-out-milwaukee-victims-sister-sherelle-sm/

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on February 08, 2017, 01:57:56 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2017, 01:30:44 AM
Conway is finished

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/829045193131380736

Anyone who voted for Trump pays fvck all attention to what CNN or The NY Times has to say....haven't they more important things to be doing such as rigging debates or selectively editing BLM protest videos

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/16/cnn-edits-out-milwaukee-victims-sister-sherelle-sm/
The media will drop her. She can't spin Trump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rh6qqsmxNs

Jonathan Chait
I honestly was about to tweet that tonight, for the first time in weeks, Trump has not been reported saying or doing anything insane. Then:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/melissa-mccarthy-sean-spicer-234715

I feel sorry for the GOP. It is going to hell in a handcart with Trump