The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: whitey on March 11, 2016, 04:01:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 11, 2016, 03:54:15 PM
If the amount of sh!t the GOP will unleash on Sanders or Clinton is 'epic', surely you believe it will be very effective and scupper their chances? Otherwise why mention it??

I'm not following you...am I prohibited from expressing an opinion?

I thought that's what one did in a discussion board

I am asking you to expand on your opinion.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Dear NBC,f

I am  currently trying to get the Republican nomination to be the next President of the USA.  I will of course need to form a cabinet and I propose to use the Apprentice format  and would of course offer you Full access to the trials I  would use to ensure they have the right stuff to help  govern the country.  (of course Latino, Orientals Caucasian preferred.  Nobody that would remind people of Obama)

You can  thank me later,

Donald Trump.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

If the amount of sh!t the GOP will unleash on Sanders or Clinton is 'epic', surely you believe it will be very effective and scupper their chances? Otherwise why mention it??
It will convince GOP voters but nobody else. The GOP needs to convince the 20% in the middle and can.t

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2016, 05:41:44 PM
It will convince GOP voters but nobody else. The GOP needs to convince the 20% in the middle and can.t

That would be my thinking as well.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 11, 2016, 03:08:57 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 11, 2016, 03:00:05 PM
While swing states obviously matter, they are not immune to national trends. I remember Bob Dole making the point that if he and Gerald Ford could have found 6,000 or so Carter voters in Ohio and convinced them to switch their vote, Ford would have won the 1976 election, and that's true in itself. But you don't pitch your campaign at individuals, you pitch it at groups. Had Ford/Dole found something to appeal to those voters, it might have alienated someone else. And I find it really hard to believe that anyone thinks that Trump hasn't alienated at least a few people.

Maybe, but the amount of $hit that the GOP will unleash on either Hillary or Bernie will be epic.

I really think this election cycle is different....like when Hillary tied to use Bill to attack Trump and it backfired spectacularly.  If she tries to use Chelsea, guess what, she's married o a Wall St Hedge Fund guy and lives in a $10 M house.....Bernie hasn't hit hit her anywhere near as hard as the are Repubs.  will

The GOP is going to go after Hillary for her Wall St ties? Seriously?  ;D

J70

Quote from: Hound on March 11, 2016, 01:42:31 PM
Sanders said he would end all trade deals, as trade deals cost American jobs.

That's pretty odd economic thinking.

Trump is going on about the same shit too.

I'm sure if hits home with blue collar workers whose manufacturing jobs have been shipped over seas, but just what do people think will happen when Trump or Sanders breaks deals and launches trade wars?

Cheap goods and food come with a cost. That cost is outsourcing and globalization.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on March 11, 2016, 07:25:13 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 11, 2016, 01:42:31 PM
Sanders said he would end all trade deals, as trade deals cost American jobs.

That's pretty odd economic thinking.

Trump is going on about the same shit too.

I'm sure if hits home with blue collar workers whose manufacturing jobs have been shipped over seas, but just what do people think will happen when Trump or Sanders breaks deals and launches trade wars?

Cheap goods and food come with a cost. That cost is outsourcing and globalization.
globalisation gets blamed but the real enemy of muintir trump is the home based 1% who control 40% of US wealth. Trump is like a holding operation for popular anger. He won't go near income inequality. Neither will the GOP leadership.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 11, 2016, 07:21:58 PM
While swing states obviously matter, they are not immune to national trends. I remember Bob Dole making the point that if he and Gerald Ford could have found 6,000 or so Carter voters in Ohio and convinced them to switch their vote, Ford would have won the 1976 election, and that's true in itself. But you don't pitch your campaign at individuals, you pitch it at groups. Had Ford/Dole found something to appeal to those voters, it might have alienated someone else. And I find it really hard to believe that anyone thinks that Trump hasn't alienated at least a few people.

Maybe, but the amount of $hit that the GOP will unleash on either Hillary or Bernie will be epic.

I really think this election cycle is different....like when Hillary tied to use Bill to attack Trump and it backfired spectacularly.  If she tries to use Chelsea, guess what, she's married o a Wall St Hedge Fund guy and lives in a $10 M house.....Bernie hasn't hit hit her anywhere near as hard as the are Repubs.  will

Well she definitely won't be able to go after them for THEIR Wall St ties given all the $$ she creamed off Wall St giving speeches. (Whose transcripts haven't bee released)

Regarding making college more afgordable, how is she going to villianize them when she charged various colleges something like $250 K for a 30 min speech

Someone with "trustworthy" and "likeability" numbers like Hillary has, could be very vulnerable to an all out GOP attack....as I said Bernie is like a chichaua compared to what Trump or Cruz will be like

seafoid

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/03/09/trump-lead-how-did-this-happen/

Marco Rubio, once the vessel for the great hopes of a number of Republicans and feared by numerous Clinton supporters, has turned out to be the synthetic candidate. Some observers sensed early on that the vessel was empty, but Rubio's youth and Hispanic background were supposed to make him the most dazzling of the Republican hopefuls and a real threat to Clinton. He is but the latest example of that puzzling "intuition" that overcomes people supposedly in the know—members of the press, political operatives, donors—that so-and-so is the hot candidate

Stuart Stevens, a well-connected Republican operative and a major figure in the Romney campaign in 2012 who is still in touch with him, told me this week, if Trump is nominated "I think 100 percent there will be a third party." (He declined to comment about whether Romney might lead it.)

Gmac

See The fascists were out in force in Chicago tonight.

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 11, 2016, 09:14:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 11, 2016, 07:21:58 PM

Well she definitely won't be able to go after them for THEIR Wall St ties given all the $$ she creamed off Wall St giving speeches. (Whose transcripts haven't bee released)

She should absolutely release the transcripts.

And so should any Republicans, although I doubt if anyone would raise an eyebrow at their palling up to Wall St. They're the ones, after all, crying non-stop about Dodd Frank reforms and consumer protection and so on.

Regarding making college more afgordable, how is she going to villianize them when she charged various colleges something like $250 K for a 30 min speech

Apparently its not that unusual for colleges to fork out for these types of speaking engagements, although its on the higher end for women. Condoleeza Rice made $150K from the University of Minnesota, while Palin made $100K.

Trump apparently took in $1.5 million per speech ten years ago in a series of seminars for the Learning Annex. Giuliani got $75K in 2005 for a commencement speech.

According to Time, "universities defend such fees as necessary and worthwhile because they raise the profile of their institutions and help attract new students and increase involvement and donations from alumni."

So it appears universities reckon they will get a very decent return on their investment. Presumably there are plenty of seats reserved for the bigger donors to ensure this.

And even if Hillary is a hypocrite, it doesn't make her point about the cost of tuition any less true.

Someone with "trustworthy" and "likeability" numbers like Hillary has, could be very vulnerable to an all out GOP attack....as I said Bernie is like a chichaua compared to what Trump or Cruz will be like

And equally, the Clinton machine will go to war with whoever the GOP nominee is. The GOP themselves are already laying some very nice groundwork.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 12, 2016, 01:37:50 AM

The irony! ;D

whitey

Demanding to fly in a private jet too for most speeches.....the hypocrisy is astounding

Eamonnca1

It's okay, they were sent packing by anti-Trump protestors.

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 12, 2016, 03:12:10 AM

It's okay, they were sent packing by anti-Trump protestors.
Rachel Maddow agrees with you