The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on October 25, 2012, 10:23:15 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 24, 2012, 08:35:53 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 24, 2012, 08:28:56 PM
Bachmann??

What was wrong with him? Jaysus if it wasn't for him the Penguin would be running Gotham.

Ah ffs, AZ, keep up. It's this fella:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Glad you cleared that up. I thought AZ was giving Michael Bloomberg way too much credit.

Declan

I think this one is up there in being  odious and shameless:
As is her custom, provocative conservative commentator Ann Coulter was decidedly politically incorrect in her assessment of the final presidential debate last night. Ms. Coulter took to Twitter where she used a derogatory term to describe President Barack Obama.

"I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the retard," Ms. Coulter wrote.

Her comment comes less than two weeks after Dan Niblock, the father of a young boy with Down syndrome, published an essay on the website of NBC's Today taking Ms. Coulter to task for using the same term in another tweet. It's apparently a habit of Ms. Coulter's.

"I want Ann Coulter to apologize for using a form of hate speech that is particularly searing to people who have special needs. This isn't the first time she has tweeted the word "retarded" to insult her rivals, and she needs to stop. Her behavior is not acceptable," Mr. Niblock wrote.

These complaints clearly haven't had much effect on Ms. Coulter, who has been unapologetic of her past politically incorrect remarks. Still, we reached out to Ms. Coulter to see if she had any regrets about her post-debate tweet. As of this writing, we have yet to receive a response. We won't hold our breath.

Update (3:00 a.m.): In an email to Politicker, Ms. Coulter doubled down and made it clear she's not worried about upsetting anyone with her choice of words.

Thought this was a wonderful response to her though  -http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

Though in the spirit of bi-patisanship I see the Dems are fully on board with voter fraud ;)

J70

Don't think too many people outside of the Fox News crowd give a bollocks what Ann Coulter says anymore. She's just a parody at this point, saying outrageous things just to get attention or sell a book. Astute political analyst she ain't!

stew

Quote from: Declan on October 25, 2012, 11:29:55 AM
I think this one is up there in being  odious and shameless:
As is her custom, provocative conservative commentator Ann Coulter was decidedly politically incorrect in her assessment of the final presidential debate last night. Ms. Coulter took to Twitter where she used a derogatory term to describe President Barack Obama.

"I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the retard," Ms. Coulter wrote.

Her comment comes less than two weeks after Dan Niblock, the father of a young boy with Down syndrome, published an essay on the website of NBC's Today taking Ms. Coulter to task for using the same term in another tweet. It's apparently a habit of Ms. Coulter's.

"I want Ann Coulter to apologize for using a form of hate speech that is particularly searing to people who have special needs. This isn't the first time she has tweeted the word "retarded" to insult her rivals, and she needs to stop. Her behavior is not acceptable," Mr. Niblock wrote.

These complaints clearly haven't had much effect on Ms. Coulter, who has been unapologetic of her past politically incorrect remarks. Still, we reached out to Ms. Coulter to see if she had any regrets about her post-debate tweet. As of this writing, we have yet to receive a response. We won't hold our breath.

Update (3:00 a.m.): In an email to Politicker, Ms. Coulter doubled down and made it clear she's not worried about upsetting anyone with her choice of words.

Thought this was a wonderful response to her though  -http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

Though in the spirit of bi-patisanship I see the Dems are fully on board with voter fraud ;)

Coulter is a despicable bitch and I don't know how she still has a job!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tyssam5

Paddypower offering 15-8 on Romney, with Obama at 2-5. So whatever you think about polls political leanings that's what the bookies make of this race.

I note that bet is worded "winning candidate of the  election", so not too clear on if they're paying first past the post of if the stewards inquiry (i.e. Supreme Court) will come into play!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on October 25, 2012, 12:42:05 PM
Don't think too many people outside of the Fox News crowd give a bollocks what Ann Coulter says anymore. She's just a parody at this point, saying outrageous things just to get attention or sell a book. Astute political analyst she ain't!

Nothing but a blatant shock jock vying for attention by trying to say the most outragious and stupid thing.

I'd still give her one though.

seafoid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/oct/25/climate-change-david-attenborough

One of the world's leading naturalists has accused US politicians of ducking the issue of climate change because of the economic cost of tackling it and warned that it would take a terrible example of extreme weather to wake people up to the dangers of global warming.

Speaking just days after the subject of climate change failed to get a mention in the US presidential debates for the first time in 24 years, Sir David Attenborough told the Guardian: "[It] does worry me that most powerful nation in the world, North America, denies what the rest of us can see very clearly [on climate change]. I don't know what you do about that. It's easier to deny."

Asked what was needed to wake people up, the veteran broadcaster famous for series such as Life and Planet Earth said: "Disaster. It's a terrible thing to say, isn't it? Even disaster doesn't do it. There have been disasters in North America, with hurricanes and floods, yet still people deny and say 'oh, it has nothing to do with climate change.' It visibly has got [something] to do with climate change."

But some US politicians found it easier to deny the science on climate change than take action, he said, because the consequence of recognising the science on man-made climate change "means a huge section from the national budget will be spent in order to deal with it, plenty of politicians will be happy to say 'don't worry about that, we're not going to increase your taxes.'"

Neither Barack Obama or Mitt Romney mentioned climate change in three TV debates, despite a summer of record temperatures and historic drought in the US.

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 25, 2012, 09:07:58 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 25, 2012, 12:42:05 PM

Nothing but a blatant shock jock vying for attention by trying to say the most outragious and stupid thing.

I'd still give her one though.

A bit too tranny-like for my taste. :P

The Iceman

When in Rome / San Fransisco....  :)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

deiseach

Quote from: The Iceman on October 26, 2012, 01:34:55 PM
When in Rome / San Fransisco....  :)

Or the People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia.

Declan

Some interesting figures in here on the campaign finances etc. Notable difference in the type of employee funding each

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/

screenexile

Quote from: Declan on October 26, 2012, 02:29:55 PM
Some interesting figures in here on the campaign finances etc. Notable difference in the type of employee funding each

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/

If Goldman Sachs is top of your list of supporters you know there's something wrong right there!!!

deiseach

nifan

Quote from: deiseach on October 26, 2012, 02:36:15 PM
US Government?! :o

NOTE: The organizations themselves did not donate, rather the money came from the organizations' PACs, their individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families. Organization totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

So anyone who works for the government is counted here?

AZOffaly

That's very disengenously presented. I know they have the disclaimer underneath, but it appears as if the organisations themselves are direct contributors. I can see all sorts of wrong inferrences being drawn here.