Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longball

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

corn02

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 10, 2009, 03:33:24 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 10, 2009, 01:34:33 PM

The relationship between Xabi and Rafa is supposedly not great after last yeatr. People will look back and say 'how could he try and seel him', but they would forget the previous two seasons when Alonso's form dipped considerably. If Alonso puts in a transfer request, Madrid will bid about £25 million and he will be gone in my opinion, and so will our title hopes.

Being a bit dramatic there corn do you not think?
Alonso is no doubt a world class player but even if he goes there is enough good players at Anfield and if Rafa signs someone or maybe even two players for the €25mill I don't see how selling Alonso is going to stop us winning the league..

I probably am LL.

But last season he just kept us going. His subtle impact on the games was immense. I would be gutted because I don't think there are many in the world better at that role at present.

Billys Boots

QuoteThey had Johnson jersies for sale even before we signed him.

Are ye sure they weren't old David Johnson jersies?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minus15

wouldn't read too much into those squad numbers. Those are just last season's numbers with Johnson taking over Dossena's number 2. It doesnt say that those are the confirmed squad numbers but at the minute that is what they are

GalwayBayBoy

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Anyone see the daily mirror today? ribery coming to anfeild odds were 66/1 now shortened to 8/13!!

StGallsGAA

QuoteAnyone see the daily mirror today? ribery coming to anfeild odds were 66/1 now shortened to 8/13!!

Then I'll offer you odds that are a steal for him to join at 2/1!  Min bet £100!

EC Unique

gawa316

From Skysports

Rafa Benitez has revealed Liverpool have rejected a number of offers for Reds ace Fernando Torres.

The likes of Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Real Madrid have all been linked with a big-money move for Torres, while team-mates Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano have also been in demand this summer.

Benitez is not surprised his players are in demand, but he always knew Torres was happy to stay at Anfield.

"We have had some very big offers for some of our key players this summer - and that includes Fernando Torres," said Benitez.

"Clubs wanted Fernando and we were contacted by agents working for those clubs

"But we always knew that when a bid came in we would say 'no'.

"The main thing was that Torres wanted to stay here. People knew the player wanted to stay, but it did not stop clubs trying.

"We wanted to send out a message that Liverpool are a strong team and that we want to improve. You don't improve by selling your best players."

Over the Bar

I see Benitez has said that Alonso & Mascherano owe a debt of loyalty to the club and fans.  Strange thing to say unless they've asked for a transfer. 

corn02

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 13, 2009, 07:24:35 PM
I see Benitez has said that Alonso & Mascherano owe a debt of loyalty to the club and fans.  Strange thing to say unless they've asked for a transfer. 

Well Alonso has reportedly asked to leave. Did he say debt of loyalty or just owe the club? Big difference.

It's like when Ferguson said he wouldn;t sell Madrid with a virus and then went back on his word. Benitez did the same before Keane went. All managers are shrewd and are making statements for reasons.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteLiverpool FC's Xabi Alonso will have to ask for a move to Real Madrid

XABI ALONSO will have to go public in his bid to quit Liverpool as Rafael Benitez prepares to play hardball with Real Madrid over the midfielder's future.

Alonso has informed the Anfield manager of his desire to move to the Bernabeu, but significantly stopped short of submitting a formal transfer request.

Liverpool have previously warned Real off making a bid for the 27-year-old, who still has three years of his contract left to run.

But Alonso may be compelled to force the issue by handing in an official transfer request, although the Spanish midfielder is reluctant to do so and remains hopeful his future can be resolved without such measures.

Nevertheless, Real and Liverpool appear way off an agreement in their valuation of the Spain international.

Having already seen Real splash out exorbitant amounts on capturing Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka this summer, Liverpool refuse to be short-changed over a player who has been courted by the Bernabeu outfit for months.

Real do not want to spend more than £27million but Benitez is adamant the La Liga side cough up somewhere in the region of £35m.

Alonso is due to travel to Vienna on Sunday, along with the rest of Liverpool's Spanish contingent, to join up with the rest of the squad heading from the Austrian capital to the Far East for two matches against Thailand and Singapore.

But the Spaniard has set his sights on his future being sorted out before the weekend.

With Alonso heading for the exit, Benitez is ready to redouble his efforts to persuade Argentinian Javier Mascherano to stay at Anfield.

The Liverpool manager intimated towards the end of last season that the Argentina captain would be given a new contract this summer, and that is now a matter of urgency for Benitez with Barcelona having turned the player's head with talk of a move during the transfer window

This is starting to drag on now. Longer it goes on the less time we'll have to get a replacement in if he goes. Either tell Madrid to pay the going rate by a certain date or he's going nowhere. Didn't really think Xabi was going to leave especially as Liverpool have a real chance of a league title next season but it's looking more likely now.