The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Seriously folks, it's the FA Cup. Better to be out of this meaningless competition. There are bigger fish to fry. If they drop points against Bournemouth I would be disappointed but it is a mere blip in an unbelievable season.

RedHand88

Quote from: An Watcher on March 03, 2020, 10:17:23 PM
Seriously folks, it's the FA Cup. Better to be out of this meaningless competition. There are bigger fish to fry. If they drop points against Bournemouth I would be disappointed but it is a mere blip in an unbelievable season.

We will never get a better chance to go for the treble.
If 22 points ahead isn't the time to go for other trophies, when is?!?!

From the Bunker

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 03, 2020, 10:28:20 PM

The goal of this year was to win the Premier League! Going on the standard Man City set last season. We had to blow them out of the water this year to have any chance. And we did! But this was going to come at a price - burn-out! The reality is we have a great starting line-up - first 11! One or two changes can be accommodated but when we change half the team we are susceptible.

Talk of going unbeaten or winning loads of trophies was for fantasy fans. 

David McKeown

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 03, 2020, 10:59:43 PM

The goal of this year was to win the Premier League! Going on the standard Man City set last season. We had to blow them out of the water this year to have any chance. And we did! But this was going to come at a price - burn-out! The reality is we have a great starting line-up - first 11! One or two changes can be accommodated but when we change half the team we are susceptible.

I was just having this debate with a few of my friends. I am genuinely not on the wind up here but hear me out.

At the start of the year any league would have made for an amazing season, particularly the incredibly impressive way it's been achieved. But given how Liverpool are cantering to the league is it not now an opportunity lost to record a truly great season. I mean a week ago the talk was Liverpool could match or beat nearly ever major record. The unbeaten season, the treble, the longest winning run scoring in every league game etc. Given how dominate Liverpool are both domestically and in Europe would there not have to be a tinge of disappointment if the only trophy won was the league? 

Is it not like the idea of Utd being offered a draw this weekend ahead of the city game. At this stage they'd happily accept it but if you made the same offer on Sunday after 60 minutes when they were 4-0 up they'd be far less happy to accept.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

laoislad

Quote from: David McKeown on March 03, 2020, 11:19:15 PM

I was just having this debate with a few of my friends. I am genuinely not on the wind up here but hear me out.

At the start of the year any league would have made for an amazing season, particularly the incredibly impressive way it's been achieved. But given how Liverpool are cantering to the league is it not now an opportunity lost to record a truly great season. I mean a week ago the talk was Liverpool could match or beat nearly ever major record. The unbeaten season, the treble, the longest winning run scoring in every league game etc. Given how dominate Liverpool are both domestically and in Europe would there not have to be a tinge of disappointment if the only trophy won was the league? 

Is it not like the idea of Utd being offered a draw this weekend ahead of the city game. At this stage they'd happily accept it but if you made the same offer on Sunday after 60 minutes when they were 4-0 up they'd be far less happy to accept.
No, none whatsoever.
I really don't think fans of other clubs quite grasp how much winning the league means to Liverpool fans.
This team won't be one season wonders, plenty of seasons ahead where they can break records. Only thing matters this season is winning the Premier League.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

David McKeown

Fair enough and that doesn't change once the league becomes won and such a good team gets so close and such a great chance to a legitimate claim to be the best ever?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Capt Pat

We have to cut out the stupid mistakes if we want to make any more progress this season. 3 of the 6 goals in the three games we lost have come from stupid mistakes. Cut out those errors and the league is inevitable and progress against athletico will follow.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: laoislad on March 03, 2020, 11:41:03 PM

No, none whatsoever.
I really don't think fans of other clubs quite grasp how much winning the league means to Liverpool fans.
This team won't be one season wonders, plenty of seasons ahead where they can break records. Only thing matters this season is winning the Premier League.

I would have a similar view to David above. Laoislad, to me that response seems like saying that you don't want to win the league next year, because you want to win the league this year.

The league is won. I would want the team to go all out to win the other competitions and go down as a great team
Hasta la victoria siempre

GalwayBayBoy

Klopp has shown ever since he arrived that he has less than zero interest in the domestic cups, rightly or wrongly.

As long as you are competing for and winning league titles and European titles then nobody really cares about the domestic cups. Wenger won the FA Cup 3 seasons out of 4 and still got shown the door because Arsenal weren't competing for the major honours.

Liverpool's only objectives this season were win the league and retain the Champions League if possible. Anything else is just gravy.

laoislad

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 04, 2020, 01:26:12 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 03, 2020, 11:41:03 PM

No, none whatsoever.

I would have a similar view to David above. Laoislad, to me that response seems like saying that you don't want to win the league next year, because you want to win the league this year.

The league is won. I would want the team to go all out to win the other competitions and go down as a great team
How does it sound like that? I said they won't be one season wonders, of course I would like them to retain the title should they win it this season. Would love to see them win doubles and trebels the lot.
I'm saying though that they need to get the Premier League monkey of their back, this season was all about winning it everything or anything else would be a bonus. It's been 30 years of a wait, now you have people saying it will be a poor season if we only win the Premier  League. I think that's a crazy thing to say.
Just because they may or may not win anything else this season doesn't make it a poor season. If they were to only win a couple more trophies over the next 4 or 5 seasons then it would be a wasted opportunity.
Need more additions in the summer though, last few games show how much the players have put into the season already. We don't really have the quality in depth to go all out in 2 or 3 competitions. This has been the same squad for two season now and they have put in a huge effort both seasons.
Hopefully they can turn it around against Ath Madrid but I'm not sure.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Watcher

Going unbeaten in a season, who cares, do you get a trophy for that? Longest winning run, most goals, all a load of nonsense. The arsenal team that went unbeaten are remembered as a good side but ultimately they were second best to utd over that ten year period. Its the trophies, not the records

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: An Watcher on March 04, 2020, 06:47:40 AM
Going unbeaten in a season, who cares, do you get a trophy for that? Longest winning run, most goals, all a load of nonsense. The arsenal team that went unbeaten are remembered as a good side but ultimately they were second best to utd over that ten year period. Its the trophies, not the records

You get a gold trophy for going unbeaten in the league apparently. This is what my Liverpool loving colleagues have been telling me for the past 2 months.

trueblue1234

Disappointed to be out of the cup tbh. Could have added a bauble and whistle to the League, which you'd like to think is over the line.
But I think we need to be realistic. Chelsea much the better team last night, Liverpool are definitely showing signs of burn out and as mentioned these two defeats had been coming as I think our energy levels had dropped. Must be draining both mentally and physically for the team to have put together such a run. We were always going to hit a bad patch, but the sign of a great team is being able to pull yourself back up and going again.
Klopp was always going to have to priortise things, and maybe he could have went stronger, but there's no guarantee that we would have won then either.
That said, the FA cup was low on the list. Would have been great to win, but with the CL coming up we really need to get back to playing good football and the results will follow. For too long recently it's all been about the result and keeping that run going. But there was times we were extremely lucky to still have the results coming in and the performance was poor. I just hope the confidence doesn't go out of the team because of these two losses.
Get the league and it's still a great season. I just glad that we are so far in front as the nerves couldnt take it otherwise.

**Meant to say kinda feel sorry for Sturridge at the minute from reading that article on him. Haven't read the full details, just his side but does seem harsh.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

angermanagement

Alisson picked up a muscle injury in training. Will miss both the Bournemouth and Atletico games. Massive miss for the Athletico match.

RedHand88

Quote from: angermanagement on March 06, 2020, 03:12:37 PM
Alisson picked up a muscle injury in training. Will miss both the Bournemouth and Atletico games. Massive miss for the Athletico match.

That is hugely disappointing.