mikehunt

Quote from: NAG1 on February 03, 2016, 12:59:23 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 03, 2016, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2016, 12:21:33 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 03, 2016, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 02, 2016, 04:52:54 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 02, 2016, 04:28:47 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2016, 10:35:33 AM
I think Lucas has been grand. But I maintain he makes too many silly fouls in and around the box, and his passing is very limited and erratic. He should be a squad player, and someone who does a job for you when you are under pressure.

I like him, and I think he's been a great trier, but he's not the quality you need to really push on.

Lucas being one of the better performers shows how much Liverpool have fallen since Rafa left. Lucas was a squad player in his prime. Gerrard, Alonso Momo and Masch.

Lucas was just turned 23 when Rafa left, 2 years younger than Momo and Masch, 5 years younger than Alonso and 6 younger than SG. This was one of the best MFs in the world at the time and the fact that Lucas didn't break into it is no indictment of him at the time. He is playing well but still has too many cheap fouls close to the goals. Given our issues from set pieces that is a problem but other people also contribute to this problem.

Any season where Lucas has been a good player Liverpool have finished outside the top4. He was and always will be that level of midfielder. Will do a job of stopping good teams but he doesn't score, create or pass forward. Good when the opposition have the ball. 

All that's important as well. You don't need to be scoring every second game or be producing hollywood passes all the time. Look at the likes of  mascherano. Still valuable as long as there's someone else around to do the creative stuff.

u need more against teams that park the bus. Lucas offers nothing against those teams.

Realistically who parks the bus against Liverpool these days? Not a cheeky comment, its in all seriousness I dont think there is that fear factor of playing Liverpool anymore even from a couple of years ago, no fear for most teams of going to Anfield.

Same can be said of United to a certain extent.

they all kinda park the bus and hit on the break every now and again, they know Liverpool will fcuk up at the back so just have to keep it tight at the back. not too hard seeing as they're so toothless up front and sh!te at the back.

AZOffaly

From the Echo. More or less sums up last night. I love the Benteke one :)

Simon Mignolet 7
Two excellent first-half saves from Okazaki and Mahrez, and one dropped catch. Cruyff-turned Vardy at the start of the second period, but was then beaten by the striker twice, once in sensational fashion. Not much you can do about those.

Nathaniel Clyne 6
Affected by his team's nervous start, but looked better on the front foot thereafter. One excellent block of a Mahrez through ball shortly after half-time. Less bad than others, but not much better.

Dejan Lovren 5
Visibly wary of Vardy's speed in behind, he was much more comfortable aerially. Worrying how easily he and Sakho were put on the back foot by simple long balls.

Mamadou Sakho 4
Not helped by what was in front of him at times, but didn't help himself either with some shoddy play. Let the ball bounce for Vardy's second goal, with dire consequences, and just didn't look comfortable against Leicester's speed and intensity.

Alberto Moreno 4
There is the odd thing he does well, but there are also flaws that simply infuriate. Here, wasteful end product, suspect positional play and dreadfully careless throw-ins were among them during a woeful first half. He improved a little after the break, but then how could he not?

Lucas Leiva 4
Didn't offer enough protection in the first half, and was similarly ineffective after the break.

Emre Can 4
Some half-decent moments going forwards – though his shooting was poor. Question marks have to remain about his ability to be an effective central midfielder, however. Leaves far too many gaps, and doesn't seem to relish running back towards his own goal. Decision-making not good enough at present, either. It led to Leicester's second goal.

Jordan Henderson 4
Looked off the pace early on and almost cost his side the opening goal. Played from a wide right position but didn't look comfortable there. If you were being kind, you'd say he still looks troubled by that heel issue.

James Milner 5
Let down by his technique at times playing wide on the left. Work-rate faultless, but then it always is. And it isn't enough at the moment. Corners poor.

Adam Lallana 5
Tasked with providing a link between midfield and Firmino, and tried to. Too elaborate in and around the box, though. Nothing wrong with putting your foot through it every now and then. Ask Jamie Vardy.

Roberto Firmino 5
Looked a thankless task for the Brazilian, alone against four Leicester defenders at times. He didn't play particularly well himself, mind.

Christian Benteke (for Henderson 66) 5
Wasted no time settling into the game, with some inaccurate passing and poor movement.

Joe Allen (for Can 75) 6
Should have started.

Joao Teixeira (for Firmino 87)
Didn't deserve to be associated with this.

J70

Quote from: rory on February 03, 2016, 08:52:15 AM
If, by some miracle, we win the Europa league, does that knock out the 4th place finisher in the league from getting a CL place?

A fit Sturridge and Coutinho might deliver some desperately needed firepower, but Liverpool ain't winning the Europe League with that defense.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on February 03, 2016, 02:37:07 PM
Quote from: rory on February 03, 2016, 08:52:15 AM
If, by some miracle, we win the Europa league, does that knock out the 4th place finisher in the league from getting a CL place?

A fit Sturridge and Coutinho might deliver some desperately needed firepower, but Liverpool ain't winning the Europe League with that defense.

Cup competition. Anything can happen. The Jimmy has a Champions League medal.

blewuporstuffed

What size of a job has Klopp ahead of him in the summer?
It would really take a massive clear out, but you rarely ever actually see that happen.

likely to keep:
Henderson
Firmino
Clyne
Sakho
Countino
Can
Origi
Flanagan
Ings

Likely to clearout:

Moreno
mignolet (unless keeping him as a second choice)
toure
lalana
benteke

then there is quite a group of players that I wouldn't be too bothered either way:

Lucas
Allen
milner
Lovren
Skertl
Ibe

and I really don't know what you would do with sturridge

The players you are keeping  could all be assets in a decent side, but they need to be supplemented with really top class (world class ?  ???) players, rather than just more of the same level.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

laoislad

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 03, 2016, 02:46:23 PM
It would really take a massive clear out, but you rarely ever actually see that happen.

likely to keep:
Henderson
Firmino
Clyne
Sakho
Countino
Can
Origi
Flanagan
Ings

Likely to clearout:

Moreno
toure
lalana
benteke

then there is quite a group of players that I wouldn't be too bothered either way:

Lucas
Allen
milner
Lovren
Skertl
Ibe

The players you are keeping  could all be assets in a decent side, but they need to be supplemented with really top class (world class ?  ???) players, rather than just more of the same level.
I read on another forum recently that Klopp had a massive clear out of players at Dortmund in his first season. Dunno how true that is but he will, as you say,have to do something similar at Liverpool.

I don't agree with you about Ibe to be honest. I think he will be kept and will be a big part of the team in the future.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

That's it in a nutshell
QuoteThe players you are keeping  could all be assets in a decent side, but they need to be supplemented with really top class (world class ?  ???) players, rather than just more of the same level.

There are a load of decent players in that squad. There aren't really any complete flops, but there just isn't enough real, top quality.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on February 03, 2016, 02:49:10 PM

likely to keep:
Henderson
Firmino
Clyne
Sakho
Countino
Can
Origi
Flanagan
Ings

Likely to clearout:

Moreno
toure
lalana
benteke

Lucas
Allen
milner
Lovren
Skertl
Ibe

I read on another forum recently that Klopp had a massive clear out of players at Dortmund in his first season. Dunno how true that is but he will, as you say,have to do something similar at Liverpool.

I don't agree with you about Ibe to be honest. I think he will be kept and will be a big part of the team in the future.

I would be happy enough to keep Ibe as well, as he has looked really good at times and is still very young, but he is on a poor run of form at the minute.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Denn Forever

Why are people so suprised by Klopp's slow start and why did they want him so  much?  He had a terrible start with Dormtund 1n the 2013/2014 season.  Came good in the end.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/jurgen-klopp-the-dortmund-view-on-liverpools-next-manager/
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Stallion

likely to keep:
Henderson
Firmino
Clyne
Sakho
Countino
Can
Origi
Flanagan
Ings

Only Firmino, Clyne, Coutinho and at a stretch Can are worth keeping out of that list.

Flanagan is awful, and seems to escape criticism just because he's a local lad.

Origi is pathetic.

Sakho is an absolute donkey, completely useless with the ball and too ponderous in possession.

Henderson isn't even a footballer. Runs around like Milner without ever doing anything defensively or offensively.

Complete clearout needed, especially in midfield.

A new manager required too.

GJL

Quote from: The Stallion on February 03, 2016, 06:31:26 PM

likely to keep:
Henderson
Firmino
Clyne
Sakho
Countino
Can
Origi
Flanagan
Ings

Only Firmino, Clyne, Coutinho and at a stretch Can are worth keeping out of that list.

Origi is pathetic.

Sakho is an absolute donkey, completely useless with the ball and too ponderous in possession.

Henderson isn't even a footballer. Runs around like Milner without ever doing anything defensively or offensively.

Lol. It's a miracle they are not for relegation.  ::)

supersub

likely to keep:
Henderson
Firmino
Clyne
Sakho
Countino
Can
Origi
Flanagan
Ings

Origi is pathetic.

Hmmm.

Flanagan is an excellent defender. The rest are average or just above. However, is the current squad as a whole better or worse than Leicester's squad? They are mostly players who couldn't make it at other clubs....they are top of the league...

imtommygunn

Leicester have dangerous strikers. Liverpool do not.

JoG2

likely to keep:
Henderson
Firmino
Clyne
Sakho
Countino
Can
Origi
Flanagan
Ings

Flanagan is awful
, and seems to escape criticism just because he's a local lad.

Origi is pathetic.

You've now progressed from your usual dung talk to making things up!

I'd hold on to:
Clyne
PC
Ings
Gomez
Flanagan
Gomez
Firmino
Sakho
Can

The rest can join Watery Hooers FC

supersub

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 03, 2016, 10:08:59 PM
Leicester have dangerous strikers. Liverpool do not.

Squad as a whole, means everyone including Sturridge, and Ings who scored a few before the injury. However even if fit I don't see Liverpool being where Leicester are.