The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossie11

In the past few seasons we have raided Villa Southampton and Sunderland for players who are now the spine of our starting 11. None of those are in the top 50 even 100 clubs in Europe.
It's hardly a surprise the state they are in. Buy rubbish become rubbish.
You would hope Klopp has the bottle for this task ahead of him as its a monumental one.
There is no quick fix. Depressing

Minder

Quote from: Rossie11 on February 02, 2016, 10:26:49 PM
In the past few seasons we have raided Villa Southampton and Sunderland for players who are now the spine of our starting 11. None of those are in the top 50 even 100 clubs in Europe.
It's hardly a surprise the state they are in. Buy rubbish become rubbish.
You would hope Klopp has the bottle for this task ahead of him as its a monumental one.
There is no quick fix. Depressing

Yeah that's about the height of it, i read somewhere that Klopp has privately said that he sees this job as a long term one due to the state of the squad so I doubt he is under any illusions.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minus15

Time to prioritise the 3 cups, and give some of the younger lads a chance, along with Joe Allen. Stallion may be full of it but Lucas has been consistently poor for a month or so after a fine first 10 games or so under Klopp. Henderson first off again tonight. The lad clearly has a serious issue.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 02, 2016, 10:04:24 PM
Christ - I wish this board had an ignore feature

There is one. But you can see the posts if others use it in the comments.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Stallion

I'd be fascinated to see the list of 100 teams you think are better than Southampton.

Rossie11

Quote from: The Stallion on February 02, 2016, 10:46:03 PM

I'd be fascinated to see the list of 100 teams you think are better than Southampton.
They are 100% not in the top 50 and the other 2 would be barely be in top 100.
You disagreed with my point??

rory

If, by some miracle, we win the Europa league, does that knock out the 4th place finisher in the league from getting a CL place?

Rossie11

No they get 5 in I think, same as la Liga this season.

mackers

Lallana is the wateriest hooer of the lot.....he has stepovers and fancy flicks with no end product.  He is Liverpool's problems personified. >:(
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mackers on February 03, 2016, 10:57:30 AM
Lallana is the wateriest hooer of the lot.....he has stepovers and fancy flicks with no end product.  He is Liverpool's problems personified. >:(

Agreed. He shows the odd flash, but he's another of those lads that if he's in your first choice XI regularly, you're in trouble if you are thinking of winning anything important. Grand lad to bring on when the game is won, or a draw, and the opposition are starting to get tired and lose concentration.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: mackers on February 03, 2016, 10:57:30 AM
Unfortunately I agree with that. You always feel he is a player with a load of potential to be really good, but just doesn't deliver
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

mikehunt

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 02, 2016, 04:52:54 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 02, 2016, 04:28:47 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2016, 10:35:33 AM
I think Lucas has been grand. But I maintain he makes too many silly fouls in and around the box, and his passing is very limited and erratic. He should be a squad player, and someone who does a job for you when you are under pressure.

I like him, and I think he's been a great trier, but he's not the quality you need to really push on.

Lucas being one of the better performers shows how much Liverpool have fallen since Rafa left. Lucas was a squad player in his prime. Gerrard, Alonso Momo and Masch.

Lucas was just turned 23 when Rafa left, 2 years younger than Momo and Masch, 5 years younger than Alonso and 6 younger than SG. This was one of the best MFs in the world at the time and the fact that Lucas didn't break into it is no indictment of him at the time. He is playing well but still has too many cheap fouls close to the goals. Given our issues from set pieces that is a problem but other people also contribute to this problem.

Any season where Lucas has been a good player Liverpool have finished outside the top4. He was and always will be that level of midfielder. Will do a job of stopping good teams but he doesn't score, create or pass forward. Good when the opposition have the ball. 

trueblue1234

Quote from: mikehunt on February 03, 2016, 11:40:31 AM
I think Lucas has been grand. But I maintain he makes too many silly fouls in and around the box, and his passing is very limited and erratic. He should be a squad player, and someone who does a job for you when you are under pressure.

I like him, and I think he's been a great trier, but he's not the quality you need to really push on.

Lucas being one of the better performers shows how much Liverpool have fallen since Rafa left. Lucas was a squad player in his prime. Gerrard, Alonso Momo and Masch.

Lucas was just turned 23 when Rafa left, 2 years younger than Momo and Masch, 5 years younger than Alonso and 6 younger than SG. This was one of the best MFs in the world at the time and the fact that Lucas didn't break into it is no indictment of him at the time. He is playing well but still has too many cheap fouls close to the goals. Given our issues from set pieces that is a problem but other people also contribute to this problem.

Any season where Lucas has been a good player Liverpool have finished outside the top4. He was and always will be that level of midfielder. Will do a job of stopping good teams but he doesn't score, create or pass forward. Good when the opposition have the ball. 

All that's important as well. You don't need to be scoring every second game or be producing hollywood passes all the time. Look at the likes of  mascherano. Still valuable as long as there's someone else around to do the creative stuff.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

mikehunt

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2016, 12:21:33 PM

All that's important as well. You don't need to be scoring every second game or be producing hollywood passes all the time. Look at the likes of  mascherano. Still valuable as long as there's someone else around to do the creative stuff.

u need more against teams that park the bus. Lucas offers nothing against those teams.

NAG1

Quote from: mikehunt on February 03, 2016, 12:48:19 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 03, 2016, 12:21:33 PM

u need more against teams that park the bus. Lucas offers nothing against those teams.

Realistically who parks the bus against Liverpool these days? Not a cheeky comment, its in all seriousness I dont think there is that fear factor of playing Liverpool anymore even from a couple of years ago, no fear for most teams of going to Anfield.

Same can be said of United to a certain extent.