The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 06, 2017, 11:43:37 AM
I think the only major criticism that could be made of Klopp at this stage is that he hasn't enough depth in his squad. He should have added a few more players last summer and definitely in January. Maybe the funds aren't there though.

Well if it wasn't clear to him before, it certainly is now. The club has to invest, seriously, this summer, if they want to keep up.

But, one or two questions can also be asked of some of his selections recently: playing Can instead on Wijnaldum on Saturday, Lucas instead of maybe Gomez, his hesitancy to make changes during the game (maybe he just doesn't trust the likes of Sturridge anymore to have a positive impact and thinks Gomez isn't ready based on his recent cup performances).

Taylor

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2017, 11:44:55 AM
Sad part of this thread is that there could be plenty of proper discussion of the actual mistakes Klopp has made if it hadn't been hijacked by the attention whore and his alter ego/admirers. I've been partly to blame for that in responding to the gobshite.

The United thread had plenty such discussion earlier in the season without descending into "Mourinho-out" wind-ups.

Perhaps if you didnt resort to name calling things would be different but then Donegal men are well known for playing the man rather than the ball.

The Sligo man speaks sense - Klopp is responsible for transfers - with a squad like that he should definitely have bought. Cant imagine he would have agreed to take the job if the well is empty already?

J70

Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 11:52:08 AM
Sad part of this thread is that there could be plenty of proper discussion of the actual mistakes Klopp has made if it hadn't been hijacked by the attention whore and his alter ego/admirers. I've been partly to blame for that in responding to the gobshite.

The United thread had plenty such discussion earlier in the season without descending into "Mourinho-out" wind-ups.

Perhaps if you didnt resort to name calling things would be different but then Donegal men are well known for playing the man rather than the ball.

The Sligo man speaks sense - Klopp is responsible for transfers - with a squad like that he should definitely have bought. Cant imagine he would have agreed to take the job if the well is empty already?

I've no idea what money was or wasn't made available to him.

He got rid of a lot of dead wood and bought a couple of players who've done well. Perhaps he counted on having the likes of Ings and Gomez also available to him this season as options. Whatever he planned, it worked very well for five months. The last month has been shit and has shown that he has more dead wood and unsuitable players such as Sturridge to get rid of if he wants to continue with the high-press, quick one-touch style. Regardless, he's earned the chance to develop it.

Billys Boots

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 06, 2017, 11:29:52 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 11:26:36 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on February 06, 2017, 11:13:00 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 09:04:24 AM
Klopp shown up to be average at best again.

Why people continually defend him is strange to say the least.

Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal fans all able to call it out when their managers arent up to it but Klopp has some vice like grip over supporters who continue to defend him.

Good point here. Unfortunately a significant portion of my fellow Liverpool supporters like to think they're "proper fans" and that they're is something worthy and admirable about blindly lauding everything the Liverpool manager does.

it is of course a moronic stance, and that these are the same idiots who thought Rodgers was a great manager makes it all the more staggering. You would think they would have learned their lesson from that farce.

Those of us capable of independent thought have known for over a year that Klopp is not a very good manager.

I thought you were a bit of a sickener at the start and were on the wind up all the time however the more the season goes on the more your points are proving to be absolutely spot on.

Is this an example of schizophrenia?

That was my first thought alright.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

StGallsGAA

If StGalls, Taylor and Stallion aren't the same person they are definitely all from the same halting site.

Racism alive and well in Laois it seems.

The Stallion

Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 11:26:36 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on February 06, 2017, 11:13:00 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 06, 2017, 09:04:24 AM
Klopp shown up to be average at best again.

Why people continually defend him is strange to say the least.

Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal fans all able to call it out when their managers arent up to it but Klopp has some vice like grip over supporters who continue to defend him.

Good point here. Unfortunately a significant portion of my fellow Liverpool supporters like to think they're "proper fans" and that they're is something worthy and admirable about blindly lauding everything the Liverpool manager does.

it is of course a moronic stance, and that these are the same idiots who thought Rodgers was a great manager makes it all the more staggering. You would think they would have learned their lesson from that farce.

Those of us capable of independent thought have known for over a year that Klopp is not a very good manager.

I thought you were a bit of a sickener at the start and were on the wind up all the time however the more the season goes on the more your points are proving to be absolutely spot on.

Thank you. Unfortunately the more myopic among my fellow Liverpool supporters still can't see Klopp is incompetent.

AZOffaly

Exactly. I can't be keeping up with all the ignores!

This is certainly a major issue, and Klopp has to take the blame for some of it. You can't really blame him for players form, but you can blame him to a certain extent for not having the players to enact a plan B. He should never have gotten rid of Caulker.

In all seriousness though, Liverpool's big players are all playing poorly at the moment, and it's very hard to win when that happens, especially when the squad depth isn't there. There's no choice but to work through it, and they will come through it. And if the season finishes well, build on this with more quality in the squad. .

Sometimes I think it's going to be really hard sledding unless the Chinese come in and give Klopp multi multi millions, and LFC becomes Chelsea or Man City. What would we think of that?

Tony Baloney

Klopp can take a fair amount of the critcism but a major issue is the quality missing on the bench. If FSG want this team to genuinely challenge on more than one front (and even one is a chore) then they need to get serious dough on the table for serious players. Top players need to be rested and shit players rotated - Sturridge needs got rid of as he doesn't want to be there so take the money and run before nobody else wants him. GK question remains unanswered and I dread to think how many points have gone down the toilet due to shitty goalkeeping.

laoislad

City and Chelsea are two clubs that had very little history of winning anything before the money men came in. You can't put Liverpool in the same category as them.
I know what you meant though and personally I wouldn't have a problem with a billionaire taking over the club and putting £200 million up for transfers. Don't see how anyone could have a problem with that.  Fans get to caught up in the business side of a club IMO. Getting excited about net spends and all that nonsense.
I just want to see Liverpool win things.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Stallion

You could give Klopp 500 million to spend and he wouldn't win the League with Liverpool.

This from J70 shows amazing levels of delusion:
"Regardless, he's earned the chance to develop it."

He took a regular top 4 challenging side to 8th, then had over 60 million at his disposal to improve on key weaknesses at left back, central midfield and keeper, yet he has still ended up playing Mignolet, Milner and Henderson every week. Yet people excuse the shit performances due to him needing to clearout dead wood lol. HE CHOSE to continue with the deadest of dead wood, that's not anyone else's responsibility. The PROPER FANS seem unable to accept this basic truth.

It's incompetence, plain and simple.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: laoislad on February 06, 2017, 01:43:38 PM
City and Chelsea are two clubs that had very little history of winning anything before the money men came in. You can't put Liverpool in the same category as them.
I know what you meant though and personally I wouldn't have a problem with a billionaire taking over the club and putting £200 million up for transfers. Don't see how anyone could have a problem with that.  Fans get to caught up in the business side of a club IMO. Getting excited about net spends and all that nonsense.
Chelsea and Manchester City would be no where without their sugar daddies both clubs sold their souls for success. Liverpool have a proud history and tradition it would feel more real for their supporters if the league title returned to Anfield without requiring the help of some billionaire.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 06, 2017, 02:10:50 PM
Chelsea and Manchester City would be no where without their sugar daddies both clubs sold their souls for success. Liverpool have a proud history and tradition it would feel more real for their supporters if the league title returned to Anfield without requiring the help of some billionaire.

Fact is though that Chelsea and City and United are probably going to win the league most seasons given their financial might. And its likely that most seasons those three will occupy three of the four champions league spots. Someone like Liverpool MIGHT win a league on a once off and they'll get top four now and again, but they'll never be able to pay the astronomical wages or provide the promise of sustained champions league football necessary to attract or hold on to the very top players. So the question is are Liverpool fans happy enough to maintain their "integrity" and reject a sugar daddy and challenge around the edges of those three, competing with Spurs and Arsenal to break in to the top four and challenge for the league during seasons when the big three haven't got their shit together? City and United might be struggling a bit this year, relatively, but they'll go out and buy the Griezman level players in the summer to replace what they've got. Who will Liverpool get?

(Yes, yes, United generate their own wealth, but it doesn't change the fact that they are part of the financial elite, which Liverpool are not, which is the point).

AZOffaly

One of the valid criticisms usually levelled at a Manager is he is picking the wrong players. I don't think that can be levelled at Klopp. He normally picks his best players, in their best positions, albeit with a bit of doubt over Emre Can versus Lallana in the midfield area.

Another criticism is the players stop playing hard for him. That has not happened. They are trying, they are just not sparking.

So this is fixable, long term. You get more quality into the squad to allow players to be dropped if they are not playing well. And you make sure that some of those players allow you to change your shape and tactics as the game demands. Width and getting behind defenses instead of the intricate interplay through them if necessary.

The issues I have with Klopp are
1 - Slow to make changes. You can normally tell if Coutinho and Firmino are on or off song. Lallana as well. If they are off, then make a change, and get Sturridge, Origi or others on. I know they may not be the level we need or want, but they are what we have, and they should be tried.

2 - Why not give Ojo a try? He is fast, provides width, and has shown he can be creative and a bit of an X factor. He's not ready to play 30 games a season, and he's not better than the front 3, but he might be playing better right now. He scored a great goal for the U23s v Spurs, so why not?

As I said, I think this is eminently fixable, and it doesn't have the death by a thousand cuts feel that the Rodgers last year had. It just feels like what it probably is. A few important players playing poorly, and not enough quality in the squad to provide renewed impetus and replace those players.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: laoislad on February 06, 2017, 02:31:09 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 06, 2017, 02:10:50 PM

So what is John W Henry then?  He rescued Liverpool from the brink of bankruptcy for heavens sake!  ::)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 06, 2017, 11:43:37 AM
I think the only major criticism that could be made of Klopp at this stage is that he hasn't enough depth in his squad. He should have added a few more players last summer and definitely in January. Maybe the funds aren't there though.
I agree with this.
I am a big fan of Klopp and the way he goes about things, but the squad certainly does look paper thin.
I understand his point that signing players in January can be difficult and he didnt want to bring just anyone in, but with letting go the likes of Sahko, reinforcements in the squad certainly needed to be made.
He seems confident that he can get top 4 with the current group, so I will judge him on that.
Come the summer then I would expect a  few big signings to come in and a few players that just aren't good enough to be moved on.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either