The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on February 09, 2009, 01:35:32 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 30, 2009, 06:23:55 PM
I worked in Dublin for  a year between 2004 - 2005 and I was shocked by the lack of knowledge the people I worked with had of "The North"

Well I worked in Dublin from 2002-2006 & I was equally shocked about their lack of knowledge of "The West"

And I have worked in Dublin since 1984, and am still shocked that they don't even know where Longford is (except for the few Jackeens who came down to see us in 2007).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Maguire01

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 09, 2009, 01:10:03 PM
I worked in Dublin for  a year between 2004 - 2005 and I was shocked by the lack of knowledge the people I worked with had of "The North"

Well I worked in Dublin from 2002-2006 & I was equally shocked about their lack of knowledge of "The West"

And I have worked in Dublin since 1984, and am still shocked that they don't even know where Longford is (except for the few Jackeens who came down to see us in 2007).
I think it's a 'people from cities' thing, rather than a southern ignorance regarding the North. I'd bet that a good few people from Belfast would know little about the South and in cases, little about the rest of the North outside of Belfast.
GAA people are probably better up on these things than others, due to the inter-county competitions.

Rav67

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2009, 01:16:58 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 09, 2009, 01:10:03 PM

I think it's a 'people from cities' thing, rather than a southern ignorance regarding the North. I'd bet that a good few people from Belfast would know little about the South and in cases, little about the rest of the North outside of Belfast.
GAA people are probably better up on these things than others, due to the inter-county competitions.

I agree.  Talking to a friend from Dublin recently who thought there was a County Athlone.  The worst of it is she has cousins from there and goes to visit them a couple of times a year!

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 09, 2009, 11:59:39 AM
So again , you are incorrect that republicans targets were solely protestant/religious motivated.
You are changing your argument.  You said they "never" targeted people based on religion.  They did.  You now agree but subsequently say I'm incorrect, but add it is "hardly surprising".  Bizarre reasoning. 

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 09, 2009, 11:59:39 AMNow, please confirm to me that the targetting of nationalists was religiously motivated by the perportrating unionist/loyalist/crown forces/b specials etc factions before/at the beginning/after 1968 periods - and that was the reason that caused nationalists/catholics to retaliate !
I have claimed no such thing that there were sectarian murders.  Each of the groups you list above would contend, like you do for republicans, that it has never their mantra to kill people based on their religion.  It is a sad fact that actions contradict mantras.  Take your blinkers off and you might see that.

Roger

I think that's about right.  I would be pretty knowledgable about Northern Ireland but when it comes to counties in the Republic I wouldn't be good at all especially with areas like Roscommon or Longford. Counties are an outdated British administrative carve-up anyway  :o

his holiness nb

Roger, he said religion wasnt a reason for the republicans targetting people.
You pointed out 2 incidents which contradict this.

We get it.

Lynchboys general gist is correct though, with the few exceptions which you kindly pointed out for us.
Ask me holy bollix

saffron sam2

Quote from: Roger on February 09, 2009, 01:43:50 PM
I think that's about right.  I would be pretty knowledgable about Northern Ireland but when it comes to counties in the Republic I wouldn't be good at all especially with areas like Roscommon or Longford. Counties are an outdated British administrative carve-up anyway  :o

And for that you should be eternally grateful.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Zapatista

Quote from: Roger on February 09, 2009, 01:43:50 PM

As is half of Asia.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 09, 2009, 12:51:18 PM
Whereas from your posts, you are an expert not just on Republican thinking, but on Unionist thinking as well... ::)
In which case, would you like to provide me with what my answer should be to what was originally a rhetorical question of mine, namely:

"Or would you claim that you are more threatened by seeing e.g. "Taigs Out" scrawled on one gable end than I am by seeing "Brits Out" on another wall a few streets away?"
blah
blah
blah
nope, the 'question' or more accurately, the assertion was that republican ethos was to target protestants on a religion basis only.
thats just lies.
You could however make the case of unionist/loyalist death gangs for doing that though..
It was obv that without brit enforcement the same problems wouldnt exist, as we see today as the brits slowly (but surely) pull out !

as for your taigs/brits out - I'd say that proves the whole point - it was all equal in killing but the mantra for republicans was to get rid of the british enforcement and let the nationalist/unionist/loyalists all come to the same conclusion as we now have.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 09, 2009, 01:45:48 PM
Roger, he said religion wasnt a reason for the republicans targetting people.
You pointed out 2 incidents which contradict this.

We get it.

Lynchboys general gist is correct though, with the few exceptions which you kindly pointed out for us.
Thanks HH
I was starting to think I was being unclear  ::)

now we know what the problem is ...same old same old - the ostrich game!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2009, 01:07:50 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 08, 2009, 12:19:24 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 06, 2009, 02:04:07 PM
Being 'proper' Irish in this dynamic has meant being Gaelic and Catholic.
you really are out of touch with reality yet again with incorrect self assumed presumptions on the rest of society.

Try telling that highlighted bit in bold to the hundreds of thousands of protestants south of the border !
Eh? Just noticed this! Hundreds of thousands of Protestants south of the border?

QuotePopulation classified by religion and nationality 2006

Church of Ireland (incl. Protestant)  86,990
Other Christian Religion  16,327
Presbyterian 13,628
Methodist 5,077
http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popnclassbyreligionandnationality2006.htm
And surely you do know that the Protestant population in the south was much bigger? I think it's definitely a valid argument that in the past at least, being Irish meant "being Gaelic and Catholic". Much less so now, due to the diminishing role of the Church, but i don't think you can dismiss the perception that Protestants in the north may have.
ok hundred thousand then
the point still stands though...

Maguire01

lynchbhoy

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 09, 2009, 02:24:29 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2009, 02:14:39 PM
What point?
go read BEFORE the part you posted  ::)
I have tried.

I gathered that your point was that Protestants in the South had no issues with living in what was essentially a Catholic state. Indeed there are hundreds of thousands of them. Only there aren't. And the fact that their numbers have depleted so significantly since partition surely counters your argument, rather than making your point.

But do feel free to clarify. Or you could just roll your eyes again.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2009, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 09, 2009, 02:24:29 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2009, 02:14:39 PM
What point?
go read BEFORE the part you posted  ::)
I have tried.

I gathered that your point was that Protestants in the South had no issues with living in what was essentially a Catholic state. Indeed there are hundreds of thousands of them. Only there aren't. And the fact that their numbers have depleted so significantly since partition surely counters your argument, rather than making your point.

But do feel free to clarify. Or you could just roll your eyes again.
::)

have they really  !
well thats news to them and the pockets of non catholics that live fully integrated with the rest of Ireland (that add up to over 100,000 - and that survey didnt inc the recent immigrants from baltic states etc)
check out any GAA or rugby club if you like...thats always a good start.

but youd know I'm sure having lived down here for so long  :D