The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AidyMac on July 13, 2011, 10:35:23 PM
See that a fee has been agreed for Downing

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/reds-agree-downing-fee

Reports on Twitter that he handed in a transfer request to push the move through. More money that you'd like to pay for him but he's a good player (a very good one on his day) and will improve the team which is the main thing.

Capt Pat

Some good signings have been made no doubt, but the next question is who is leaving.

Orangemac

How will Liverpools front 6 line up next year?

Lucas    Adam
Gerrard              Downing
        Suarez    Carroll

Where does Kuyt fit into this?

deiseach

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 14, 2011, 12:01:30 AM
Some good signings have been made no doubt, but the next question is who is leaving.

Poulsen and Ngog look more attractive to potential suitors after their goal-scoring performances yesterday </wishfulthinking>

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on July 14, 2011, 08:17:41 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on July 14, 2011, 12:01:30 AM

Poulsen and Ngog look more attractive to potential suitors after their goal-scoring performances yesterday </wishfulthinking>

As did smokin Joe after a decent performance.  I get the feeling though he is going no where this season.  I reckon that KK will give him a chance to be a support player this year for Downing instead of spending big money to bring in the likes of Mata. I don't see there being anymore big signings in the forward division. 

Quote from: Orangemac on July 14, 2011, 12:34:12 AM
How will Liverpools front 6 line up next year?

Lucas    Adam
Gerrard              Downing
        Suarez    Carroll

Where does Kuyt fit into this?

What about this as a second string?

Spearing  Aqualani
Henderson             Raul

Cole
                  Kuyt

AZOffaly

Bingo

Without doubt that should be the end of the attacking purchases - overloaded if anything.

Be looking to offload a few now - Puolsen, Cole, one of Aqualini/Meriles (I'd sell Aqualinin of any sort of decent price can be got), Degen, El Zhar, Ngog.

Kuyt is likely to be 3rd choice striker and option on right.

Loan for Shelvey (hopefully to a premiership club).

I'm not overly worried about the back 4. Would like to see a new centre back but not just one for the sake of it, same as LB. In preseason I think Kelly will be used as a centre back to test the water. Between Johnson, Kelly, Robinson and Kelly I think we'd be ok for full backs. Maybe another centre back like Danns and let Soto go.

Bit overall its good to have attacking options again.

laoislad

Sure isn't it a great problem to be having! For long enough Liverpool were known as a one man team so I for one am delighted we now have proper depth to the squad.
It's a long season and there will be injuries,suspensions,players losing form etc so it's great there is real quality to call on now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Bar Pepe we'd be able to name an All-British* (well Scots/English) line-up that would be competitive.

Reina
Johnson Kelly Carra Robinson
Henderson Adam Gerard Downing
              Cole
                Carroll
Subs: Spearing Flanagan Coady

* - in reality I don't care where they are from  :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on July 14, 2011, 10:06:09 AM
Bar Pepe we'd be able to name an All-British* (well Scots/English) line-up that would be competitive.

Reina
Johnson Kelly Carra Robinson
Henderson Adam Gerard Downing
              Cole
                Carroll
Subs: Spearing Flanagan Coady

* - in reality I don't care where they are from  :D

That's a good point though Bingo, and may well be what they are keeping in the back of their minds. Is that UEFA ruling coming in at all?

Declan

Another top class signing for Liverpool ;)
Staunton set for Liverpool role
Soccer: Former Republic of Ireland boss Steve Staunton is on the verge of taking up a coaching position at a Premier League club, believed to be Liverpool.

Speaking at a press conference in his native Dundalk yesterday to promote a Dundalk Legends v Liverpool Legends fundraising game at Oriel Park on July 23rd, the 102 time capped former defender said a deal was all but agreed for him take up a "football position" at a top-flight outfit.

That led to suggestions that a return to his former club Liverpool was on the cards. Staunton remained tight-lipped about his destination although he did say the job was with a club that is currently on its pre-season tour. Liverpool are currently on a jaunt of Asia.

"I can't speak to the club at the minute because they are on their pre-season tour," said Staunton. "When they come back, we will discuss it further but it's more or less done and dusted. Since the Ireland job, I've been involved at the lower levels. It would be nice to get back into the Premiership."

Doogie Browser

I told you to come back with £20m and Kenny listened  :P, he seems on a one man crusade to inflate the price of every young British player though? 

Bingo

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 14, 2011, 10:33:17 AM
I told you to come back with £20m and Kenny listened  :P, he seems on a one man crusade to inflate the price of every young British player though?

It was always the way of the premiership, I'm sure Kenny isn't arsed about the fees, he's not paying it personally

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Bingo on July 14, 2011, 10:35:00 AM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 14, 2011, 10:33:17 AM

It was always the way of the premiership, I'm sure Kenny isn't arsed about the fees, he's not paying it personally
Bit of a moot point re the money side of things as it effectively comes out of the club coffers.  Don't get me wrong I was a big fan of Downing but I think £20m is a lot of cash, the one thing he does give a team is balance on the left which is hard to find these days.