Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2016, 12:06:13 PM
Been doing Pilates and strength/balance classes for about year and half now.... The flexibility I have now compared to before starting is startling .... Hip flexor exercises very important.....

On the topic of dead lift's snatching and other heavier lifting, I've yet (4 half years at this gym) seen one bodybuilder do any stretching.... Plenty grunting  but they head straight out and check their guns out at the mirror and shake those protein drinks !!

Each to their own I suppose, I wish I could have done this years ago!! I was lucky enough that I never put weight on (over Xmas though 😞)

Walter, go to Pilates or strength/balance classes, plenty to work on hip flexors

Will do MR2. Any advice on keeping fit with this type of niggly injury?

Milltown Row2

Swimming Walter.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

manfromdelmonte

Been doing Pilates and strength/balance classes for about year and half now.... The flexibility I have now compared to before starting is startling .... Hip flexor exercises very important.....

On the topic of dead lift's snatching and other heavier lifting, I've yet (4 half years at this gym) seen one bodybuilder do any stretching.... Plenty grunting  but they head straight out and check their guns out at the mirror and shake those protein drinks !!

Each to their own I suppose, I wish I could have done this years ago!! I was lucky enough that I never put weight on (over Xmas though 😞)

Walter, go to Pilates or strength/balance classes, plenty to work on hip flexors
weightlifting and bodybuilding are two completely different things.

go to an olympic weightlifting club and half of a training session is spent on corrective exercises and mobility exercises for shoulders, hips, wrists, ankles

I do a lot of squatting, deadlifting, snatches, clean and jerks.
never been freer in my movements or fitter. In fact, in 5/6 years of proper strength training I've never had an injury due to a pulled muscle or strain.

this idea that weightlifting makes you big, bulky and immobile is the opposite to what I have experienced and seen in practice.
it all comes down to the programming, volume, balance of push vs pull (general ratio of 1:2), deloading etc

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 14, 2016, 05:59:06 PM

weightlifting and bodybuilding are two completely different things.

go to an olympic weightlifting club and half of a training session is spent on corrective exercises and mobility exercises for shoulders, hips, wrists, ankles

I do a lot of squatting, deadlifting, snatches, clean and jerks.
never been freer in my movements or fitter. In fact, in 5/6 years of proper strength training I've never had an injury due to a pulled muscle or strain.

this idea that weightlifting makes you big, bulky and immobile is the opposite to what I have experienced and seen in practice.
it all comes down to the programming, volume, balance of push vs pull (general ratio of 1:2), deloading etc

Not many Olympic athletes at weight lifting from Norn Iron..... My next door neighbour years ago represented Ireland or northern Ireland at many games.... They were done after the first set of rounds... He partied the rest of the weeks there though!!

In fairness Cookie was always in great shape
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

INDIANA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 13, 2016, 10:30:06 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 13, 2016, 10:19:47 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 13, 2016, 09:40:43 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 13, 2016, 07:13:54 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 13, 2016, 05:15:29 PM
TRX, very little practical application in the real world of fitness or sport

best exercises are pulling and pushing a bar with weight with lots of mobility work
eg squat, snatch, deadlift, cleans, high pulls, pull ups, overhead press, high pull deadlift
along with resisted core exercises

Whereas there are "real world applications" of squats etc? What a preposterous statement. It's all just strength training - with suspension training you can make it as difficult or as easy as you want depending on the angle you work at it. It'll also engage your core far more than any compound weight exercise
when you squat under a bar you use most muscle groups in the body
it improves knee, ankle and hip mobility
my point was that TRX is grand, to be good at TRX.
you don't play sports or use straps in everyday activities.

if you ever do a strength and conditioning qualification, show me the section where they cover TRX stuff

To the contrary, it does the exact opposite of improve mobility, hence why so many people, including me, pay particular attention to doing mobility activity in conjunction with a weight programme. Doing compound weight movements is great for strength training and building muscle. There are other exercises that can provide strength gain benefits in addition to mobility/agility etc

One of your suggestions was snatching - for anyone other than a competitive weight or powerlifter, there's absolutely no reason to do snatches. It's downright dangerous for untrained or poorly trained people.
that is laughable
snatch is one of best exercises for mobility and power eg all GAA players and sports people in general
if a county team at this stage are not doing snatches and power cleans etc then they are 10 years behind in their S&C thinking

squats are only one part of weight training
if squats are causing tightness, it is due to poor programming.

Most exercises in the gym should be squat or deadlift based

Rubbish it all depends on the functional screening of the individual. Gym programmes are individual - not generic. I'm glad you're not training any of my teams in S&C

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on January 14, 2016, 08:42:48 PM

best exercises are pulling and pushing a bar with weight with lots of mobility work
eg squat, snatch, deadlift, cleans, high pulls, pull ups, overhead press, high pull deadlift

Whereas there are "real world applications" of squats etc? What a preposterous statement. It's all just strength training - with suspension training you can make it as difficult or as easy as you want depending on the angle you work at it. It'll also engage your core far more than any compound weight exercise

if you ever do a strength and conditioning qualification, show me the section where they cover TRX stuff

To the contrary, it does the exact opposite of improve mobility, hence why so many people, including me, pay particular attention to doing mobility activity in conjunction with a weight programme. Doing compound weight movements is great for strength training and building muscle. There are other exercises that can provide strength gain benefits in addition to mobility/agility etc

One of your suggestions was snatching - for anyone other than a competitive weight or powerlifter, there's absolutely no reason to do snatches. It's downright dangerous for untrained or poorly trained people.
that is laughable
snatch is one of best exercises for mobility and power eg all GAA players and sports people in general
if a county team at this stage are not doing snatches and power cleans etc then they are 10 years behind in their S&C thinking

Rubbish it all depends on the functional screening of the individual. Gym programmes are individual - not generic. I'm glad you're not training any of my teams in S&C
functional screening. yeah. great stuff.
most GAA players have generic issues
far too much made about functional screening imho. it's a tool, amongst many others.
yes, training groups can be introduced for certain issues and imbalances, but generally the lads on a GAA panel will have a lot of similar issues.

time spent on olympic lifting skills is time very well spent
the All Blacks do a LOT of olympic movements. I think they know what they are doing

INDIANA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 14, 2016, 10:12:09 PM

that is laughable

far too much made about functional screening imho. it's a tool, amongst many others.
yes, training groups can be introduced for certain issues and imbalances, but generally the lads on a GAA panel will have a lot of similar issues.

the All Blacks do a LOT of olympic movements. I think they know what they are doing

Is this amateur hour here? Yeah do olympic lifts with an undiagnosed functional imbalance in your body and see how much you spend on physio bills.
Olympic lifts are not the only way to get powerful. If you are functionally balanced they are very good exercises. However they can replaced by other exercises that are just as good that don't require expert lifting technique.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: INDIANA on January 14, 2016, 10:15:41 PM

that is laughable

Is this amateur hour here? Yeah do olympic lifts with an undiagnosed functional imbalance in your body and see how much you spend on physio bills.
Olympic lifts are not the only way to get powerful. If you are functionally balanced they are very good exercises. However they can replaced by other exercises that are just as good that don't require expert lifting technique.
they sure can!!
No point in teaching lads some new skills, that'd be dangerous. Nope. Feed them simple circuit exercises.

bodyweight, med balls throws and dumbbells pushes, pushing a sled, horizontal rows etc
keep up the intensity etc etc

Milltown Row2

Look said earlier.... Each to their own and get out of it what they want. I'll stand by what I said about the weight lifters/bodybuilders at my gym would have very limited flexibility and very poor cardio....

For me in my forties I am looking to stay fit and toned... And the classes I go to are great craic which changes the boring routine of.... Shoulders day, legs day, arms day, back day!!

Are you a PT?? They talk some shit!!  I've never seen anyone keep to the task once they have reached their goal....they get bored and pile the weight back on

INDIANA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 14, 2016, 10:24:36 PM

that is laughable

they sure can!!
No point in teaching lads some new skills, that'd be dangerous. Nope. Feed them simple circuit exercises.

bodyweight, med balls throws and dumbbells pushes, pushing a sled, horizontal rows etc

I'd lay any odds you can't perform Olympic Lifts properly with perfect technique

Milltown Row2

Quote from: INDIANA on January 14, 2016, 10:29:56 PM

that is laughable

they sure can!!

I'd lay any odds you can't perform Olympic Lifts properly with perfect technique

I'll lay odds you can't do crabs bend!!  ;)

INDIANA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2016, 10:36:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 14, 2016, 10:29:56 PM

that is laughable

they sure can!!

I'll lay odds you can't do crabs bend!!  ;)

;D- at  my age I don't think so!

outinfront

I won't pretend to be a guru but what (little) I do know is that it is vitally important to build up a good level of strength using compound movements - for example 1.5xBW for squat, BW bench, etc  is a good target. Olympic lifts then help to express this strength in a show of explosive power. They undoubtedly have great benefits for sports however they are difficult to learn and performed badly lead to injury. Full snatches and cleans for example have little crossover to football.  A high snatch pull or power clean might be better.  Again I feel a good level of strength must be built up (with focus on form and full range of movement rather than rushing to lift big weights poorly)and then other power exercises like box jumps, med ball slams and sprints can help develop your power. For power Reps should be kept low, recovery plentiful and effort high on each rep.

Body builders are an entirely different kettle of fish. Training for Aesthetics is not the same as training for sports performance.

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: outinfront on January 15, 2016, 10:46:58 AM
I won't pretend to be a guru but what (little) I do know is that it is vitally important to build up a good level of strength using compound movements - for example 1.5xBW for squat, BW bench, etc  is a good target. Olympic lifts then help to express this strength in a show of explosive power. They undoubtedly have great benefits for sports however they are difficult to learn and performed badly lead to injury. Full snatches and cleans for example have little crossover to football.  A high snatch pull or power clean might be better.  Again I feel a good level of strength must be built up (with focus on form and full range of movement rather than rushing to lift big weights poorly)and then other power exercises like box jumps, med ball slams and sprints can help develop your power. For power Reps should be kept low, recovery plentiful and effort high on each rep.

Body builders are an entirely different kettle of fish. Training for Aesthetics is not the same as training for sports performance.

+1
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people