Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

as I said, 50kg snatch for the craic. I use it as a warm up tool, speed/power training and also to keep the hip and shoulders mobile.
I don't really need to snatch heavier

I don't like to use those strength comparisons.
And benching is really the last thing a GAA player should be doing
it should be mainly deadlift, pull ups, overhead pressing of some sort and squat based

Tony Baloney

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 15, 2016, 04:21:14 PM
as I said, 50kg snatch for the craic. I use it as a warm up tool, speed/power training and also to keep the hip and shoulders mobile.

it should be mainly deadlift, pull ups, overhead pressing of some sort and squat based
The ultimate test of manliness though.

Hereiam

You said it Tony

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2016, 04:26:54 PM

Nah, squat is far more manly.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2016, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2016, 04:26:54 PM

Nah, squat is far more manly.

I love the squat part of pump... Great positioning and good eye contact makes it an unbelievable experience  ;D

I love it when the big guys come up to do pump the odd time!! Busted and technique goes out the window when they struggle with low weights and high reps!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Arse to the floor, or gtfoh

gallsman

INDIANA

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2016, 03:39:22 PM
Quote from: outinfront on January 15, 2016, 03:23:37 PM
I was talking about what would be considered a general 'decent' level of strength.  Not necessarily a committed club player who has been following programs for a while.

You would be amazed how many people can't muster a pull up as well.

I would say:

Bench: 1.25xBW
Squat: 1.5xBW
DL: 1.75xBW

If you can do that, I'd wager you're comfortably ahead of most of the population.

An average GAA male in terms of body weight - lets say 70kg

Bench press roughly 90kg
Squat 110kg
Deadlift  135kg

The squat target is realistic .the other two are bullshit.

Let's leave the gym steroid heads out of it and talk purely about field athletes

There are very few people outside elite athletes who would bench press above 90kg consistently never mind deadlift 130kgs.

Plus the fact that you can lift that much doesn't always equate to power. Some it does - others not so.

You're looking for fast movements combined with the correct plyometric exercises.  In the right order.

Milltown Row2

Yeah, I'm 11 stone and I used to do 4 sets 8 of 70kg... Never in a million years could I manage another 20 on that!!! For bench pressing!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2016, 05:24:08 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 15, 2016, 04:58:59 PM

More bullshit.
sure.
ability to go below parallel is a huge indicator of ankle and hip mobility

go and get a S&C qualification so

gallsman

Quote from: INDIANA on January 15, 2016, 07:09:17 PM
I was talking about what would be considered a general 'decent' level of strength.  Not necessarily a committed club player who has been following programs for a while.

I would say:

If you can do that, I'd wager you're comfortably ahead of most of the population.

Bench press roughly 90kg
Squat 110kg
Deadlift  135kg

Let's leave the gym steroid heads out of it and talk purely about field athletes

There are very few people outside elite athletes who would bench press above 90kg consistently never mind deadlift 130kgs.

Plus the fact that you can lift that much doesn't always equate to power. Some it does - others not so.

You're looking for fast movements combined with the correct plyometric exercises.  In the right order.

For a start, if you think the average GAA male weighs 11st, i think you're a long way off but for e sake of argument, let's go with your 70kg. These are 1RM figures. Those are perfectly achievable targets at 70kg bodyweight.

gallsman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 15, 2016, 07:47:55 PM

More bullshit.
sure.

There's a difference between that and ass to grass.

outinfront

Strength is just one element needed for sport or everyday life. I just put those numbers there as a ball park area for general discussion etc. I feel for someone ,even a player, starting out in strength training these numbers are simply a guide. I do feel the other weights talked about above are perfectly achievable for a player with an adequate level of experience and strength under their belt. But as I keep stating do not get carried away with numbers.

But if interested in how u match up have a look here: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Personally my favourite thing to do in the gym is squash!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2016, 08:01:33 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 15, 2016, 07:47:55 PM

More bullshit.
sure.

There's a difference between that and ass to grass.
If you cannot get someone to get into a deep squat position with or without a bar, then an awful lot of other stuff is kinda pointless.
I saw a top county hurler (from an AI semi finalist team in 2015) training in my gym before Xmas.
Huge squat lift, but no depth,
He couldn't do an overhead squat with just just a plastic pipe!

INDIANA

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2016, 08:00:37 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 15, 2016, 07:09:17 PM

I would say:

Bench press roughly 90kg
Squat 110kg
Deadlift  135kg

For a start, if you think the average GAA male weighs 11st, i think you're a long way off but for e sake of argument, let's go with your 70kg. These are 1RM figures. Those are perfectly achievable targets at 70kg bodyweight.

I'm in a gym where some of the best current Gaelic Footballers in Ireland train- and the best up and coming ones. I see what they lift everyday - and most of them can't deadlift 130kgs with perfect technique. Some of these guys have All-stars and all ireland senior medals.

The squat of 110 is achievable.

technique is everything with Olympic lifts- I laugh watching some people say they can squat 100kgs. The fact is with correct technique they can barely do 70.

Its about power not weight for field sports like AFL and Gaelic Football.

Ask them to do extreme box jumps, jump and sticks on one leg , or better still properly executed pull ups. And most of them will fail