Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soup an Samajiz

For any and all gym related tips, experiences, pet peeves, questions and whatever else.

Seems to me the gym is now more popular and mainstream than ever, especially in the GAA. Where are the best private/commercial gyms you've come across?
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

themac_23

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM
For any and all gym related tips, experiences, pet peeves, questions and whatever else.

Seems to me the gym is now more popular and mainstream than ever, especially in the GAA. Where are the best private/commercial gyms you've come across?

Gonna try give football another go next year, need to shed a few stone before pre season though, would appreciate any good gym plans etc that would burn fat, build muscle and speed. I'm sure there are plenty of lads on here who have done similar

Soup an Samajiz

There's loads out there and everybody would tell you different but for me...

1st thing is get the diet right, or much better at least if your looking rid of stone(s). This can be as easy or complicated as you like but I'd say everybody has a fair idea of what to be at and what not.

Training wise, I wouldn't be focusing on long cardio sessions out running in the rain or treadmills, maybe do abit of running to prepare you for preseason to make it that bit less dreadful but that would be it. Google HIIT sessions and get on to the weights and interval sprints. Interval sprinting for GAA I found to be the best exercise of the lot, especially as a "finisher" (last exercise of the night to empty the tank)

Get the treadmill going at your max speed and take 15secs on 15secs off and get 8 - 10 runs done or any variation of that to get going and work your way up to longer runs and shorter intervals and more reps... write your progress down, always important, if only for motivation in the hard times cause its always good to see the progress.

general_lee

Never underestimate the importance of stretching.

themac_23

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 28, 2015, 01:02:06 PM

1st thing is get the diet right, or much better at least if your looking rid of stone(s). This can be as easy or complicated as you like but I'd say everybody has a fair idea of what to be at and what not.

Training wise, I wouldn't be focusing on long cardio sessions out running in the rain or treadmills, maybe do abit of running to prepare you for preseason to make it that bit less dreadful but that would be it. Google HIIT sessions and get on to the weights and interval sprints. Interval sprinting for GAA I found to be the best exercise of the lot, especially as a "finisher" (last exercise of the night to empty the tank)

Get the treadmill going at your max speed and take 15secs on 15secs off and get 8 - 10 runs done or any variation of that to get going and work your way up to longer runs and shorter intervals and more reps... write your progress down, always important, if only for motivation in the hard times cause its always good to see the progress.

Cheers for me diet will prob be the hardest thing, working in an office most of the day eating the right things can be tough but hopefully by doing packed lunches i will get round that.

heard the treadmill sprints are pretty good, friend plays IL football and he swears by them so think il give them a go. weights is  prob where the issue will be, what weights are best for shedding fat, but again it'll be a case of trial and error i suppose. might try cut down on the drink too.

JoG2

Quote from: themac_23 on October 28, 2015, 12:39:36 PM

Gonna try give football another go next year, need to shed a few stone before pre season though, would appreciate any good gym plans etc that would burn fat, build muscle and speed. I'm sure there are plenty of lads on here who have done similar

Pretty much in the same boat themac. We've pre-season starting mid Jan and I'm keen to give it another season.
I'm currently in the middle of a 12 week strength & conditioning programme (all good gyms offer them). The PT says our programme is geared toward strength, power, toning and injury avoidance.  2 structured classes a week and 2 sessions on my own doing weights / cardio. The classes are spin / circuit types that change week to week. The classes are incredibly hard , but you do far far more when training in a group with a PT keeping a close eye on everyone. HIIT is the best way.  I've cut out crisps, choc and fizzy pop completely, don't eat anything after 7pm (egg on toast on class nights)  and have a take-away on a Saturday and a couple of beers. There's no mad science to what I'm eating, just a decent diet with alot less bread than I used to eat. I've dropped from 14 stone to 13 stone in less than 3 months. Before the 10 week programme I'd been going solo to the gym 3 times a week, weights / cardio and running twice a week after work (max 4 miles).

themac_23

Quote from: JoG2 on October 28, 2015, 01:40:09 PM

Pretty much in the same boat themac. We've pre-season starting mid Jan and I'm keen to give it another season.
I'm currently in the middle of a 12 week strength & conditioning programme (all good gyms offer them). The PT says our programme is geared toward strength, power, toning and injury avoidance.  2 structured classes a week and 2 sessions on my own doing weights / cardio. The classes are spin / circuit types that change week to week. The classes are incredibly hard , but you do far far more when training in a group with a PT keeping a close eye on everyone. HIIT is the best way.  I've cut out crisps, choc and fizzy pop completely, don't eat anything after 7pm (egg on toast on class nights)  and have a take-away on a Saturday and a couple of beers. There's no mad science to what I'm eating, just a decent diet with alot less bread than I used to eat. I've dropped from 14 stone to 13 stone in less than 3 months. Before the 10 week programme I'd been going solo to the gym 3 times a week, weights / cardio and running twice a week after work (max 4 miles).

Prob a stupid question, but do you feel like its giving you more energy etc during the day? Also are you taking any supplements? I'm currently at 17st, still playing a bit of 5 a side etc but fitness level is shocking, even at my fittest and training flat out i was 14st 10 or so but at that i was in good shape and pretty sharp. Hope to drop to 15st by Jan and at least be in some kinda shape at giving football another good blast, played bits and pieces last year but didn't do it justice.

Must try and book in to a few spin classes just for something different to try and break things up a bit.

Soup an Samajiz

I've recently got a new job in the city and the commute in rush hour was shocking so I joined a gym and left that bit earlier and got a session done every morning. Even with the earlier start im feeling better throughout the day and the sleep is better too. The session in the mornings is never really that tough and I'm still doin as much if not more in the evenings so it hasn't hampered me any that way, but it def leaves me feeling better throughout the day

JoG2

Quote from: themac_23 on October 28, 2015, 01:50:56 PM

Prob a stupid question, but do you feel like its giving you more energy etc during the day? Also are you taking any supplements? I'm currently at 17st, still playing a bit of 5 a side etc but fitness level is shocking, even at my fittest and training flat out i was 14st 10 or so but at that i was in good shape and pretty sharp. Hope to drop to 15st by Jan and at least be in some kinda shape at giving football another good blast, played bits and pieces last year but didn't do it justice.

Must try and book in to a few spin classes just for something different to try and break things up a bit.

tbh, not a while difference. I'm as tired in the mornings as I've always been, though not so much in the afternoons...maybe its to do with adrenaline knowing I've a session that evening. Supplements, no. Keep meaning to dip for some protein / creatine, but haven't as yet however I've used both in the past. I eat a pear en route to each session . Sign up for a programme, get into the habit of training on a Monday / Wednesday / Friday or whatever days as it's too easy to make excuses when training solo imo

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: themac_23 on October 28, 2015, 01:35:25 PM

Cheers for me diet will prob be the hardest thing, working in an office most of the day eating the right things can be tough but hopefully by doing packed lunches i will get round that.

heard the treadmill sprints are pretty good, friend plays IL football and he swears by them so think il give them a go. weights is  prob where the issue will be, what weights are best for shedding fat, but again it'll be a case of trial and error i suppose. might try cut down on the drink too.

Man I'd really recommend you give the weight training a go, I started at it maybe a year and a half/2years ago totally from scratch and nervous of embarrassing myself, now I wish I started it sooner. So so beneficial compared o all the other forms of training. Maybe start of with the kettlebells and that if ur nervous of it, but try and work into the dumbells and barbell. it becomes addictive, its definitely where you'll get the best results

themac_23

Quote from: JoG2 on October 28, 2015, 02:06:31 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on October 28, 2015, 01:50:56 PM

tbh, not a while difference. I'm as tired in the mornings as I've always been, though not so much in the afternoons...maybe its to do with adrenaline knowing I've a session that evening. Supplements, no. Keep meaning to dip for some protein / creatine, but haven't as yet however I've used both in the past. I eat a pear en route to each session . Sign up for a programme, get into the habit of training on a Monday / Wednesday / Friday or whatever days as it's too easy to make excuses when training solo imo

Cheers man, think il give it a go, il have a look round a few local gyms and see where does the group programmes see how i get on, give it a good rattle until christmas and see where i am at that stage.

themac_23

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on October 28, 2015, 02:08:21 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on October 28, 2015, 01:35:25 PM

Man I'd really recommend you give the weight training a go, I started at it maybe a year and a half/2years ago totally from scratch and nervous of embarrassing myself, now I wish I started it sooner. So so beneficial compared o all the other forms of training. Maybe start of with the kettlebells and that if ur nervous of it, but try and work into the dumbells and barbell. it becomes addictive, its definitely where you'll get the best results

Thanks, i will def give it a good go with the free weights, il maybe bookmark this thread and let yas know how I'm getting on and what i find is working well and any other tips i come across that might be of use to people.

illdecide

Jasus Soup u'd need to lifting bigger weights ;).lol

For me the best training u can do in a gym is on the rowing machine. I set it up for full power and try and row as many meters in 10 mins, trying to beat it every time i get on it. My record for meters in 10 mins in 2740m. when you have that mastered then do a 1min row ensuring you row 300m in that minute, after every min you get 30 sec break before the next 1 min starts. you have to aim to do 5-6 of these. Trust me this empties more than your tank and if you're fit enough after you've mastered 6 of these bad boys then go straight for 10no 30sec on 30sec off trying to hit 150m per 30 sec hit.

This will be the hardest peice of training you will ever do in any gym...try it out. PS. if you have put on 2 stones from the football quit you could be 6 stone over weight before pre-season kicks in...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mouview

Be wary of becoming a gym monkey though; weights are excellent at building strength, losing weight, making bones, joints and sinews stronger etc. - all things needed for GAA and contact sports. Too much of it though could result in one being muscle-bound and losing flexibility and suppleness, very important traits for hurling in particular. For this reason a lot of county hurlers do yoga / pilates etc. for balance. During winter maybe a good time to go hard on it, and just top up during the playing season.

themac_23

Quote from: illdecide on October 28, 2015, 02:26:49 PM
Jasus Soup u'd need to lifting bigger weights ;).lol

For me the best training u can do in a gym is on the rowing machine. I set it up for full power and try and row as many meters in 10 mins, trying to beat it every time i get on it. My record for meters in 10 mins in 2740m. when you have that mastered then do a 1min row ensuring you row 300m in that minute, after every min you get 30 sec break before the next 1 min starts. you have to aim to do 5-6 of these. Trust me this empties more than your tank and if you're fit enough after you've mastered 6 of these bad boys then go straight for 10no 30sec on 30sec off trying to hit 150m per 30 sec hit.

This will be the hardest peice of training you will ever do in any gym...try it out. PS. if you have put on 2 stones from the football quit you could be 6 stone over weight before pre-season kicks in...

Sorry, what i meant was even when i was flat out at football and as fit as i had been i was 14 10, that was prob bout 3-4 years ago, was just trying to point out that i was never a 13st flying machine lol.