Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2016, 12:19:13 PM
Focused a bit with the Suspension Strap System over the holidays... did a few sessions with a friend of mine who's now a PT, was good to get trying different things and I fairly felt it hit different muscle groups that I hadn't been working on recently.... all body weight but works the core really well...

Shying away from swimming lately... need to get back into it

Go to  a TRX class if you want to know pain. I thought I was in reasonable shape when I went to my first one. I've never known agony like it. One exercise on the straps followed by a two minute session of HIIT. I've never know pain like it, both during the exercise and the following few days.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on January 13, 2016, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2016, 12:19:13 PM
Focused a bit with the Suspension Strap System over the holidays... did a few sessions with a friend of mine who's now a PT, was good to get trying different things and I fairly felt it hit different muscle groups that I hadn't been working on recently.... all body weight but works the core really well...

Shying away from swimming lately... need to get back into it

Go to  a TRX class if you want to know pain. I thought I was in reasonable shape when I went to my first one. I've never known agony like it. One exercise on the straps followed by a two minute session of HIIT. I've never know pain like it, both during the exercise and the following few days.

Must give it a go.. I do a 30 minute HIIT class, end up trying to talk myself out of it the whole day, usually feel as if I'm going to die !!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

The resistance bands ones are using for warmups (or general fitness and rehab), anyone know where you can pick them up in bulk, at a reasonable price? thanks

Mikhailov

Quote from: JoG2 on January 13, 2016, 01:37:35 PM
The resistance bands ones are using for warmups (or general fitness and rehab), anyone know where you can pick them up in bulk, at a reasonable price? thanks

vivomed.com - they are in Downpatrick I think - very reasonable prices. Range from 1.20 up to 2.90 or something like that.

The Bearded One

I have been looking to bulk buy these myself for warm-ups, thanks for that.
It is what it is. Presumably.

manfromdelmonte

TRX, very little practical application in the real world of fitness or sport

best exercises are pulling and pushing a bar with weight with lots of mobility work
eg squat, snatch, deadlift, cleans, high pulls, pull ups, overhead press, high pull deadlift
along with resisted core exercises

JoG2

Quote from: Mikhailov on January 13, 2016, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 13, 2016, 01:37:35 PM

vivomed.com - they are in Downpatrick I think - very reasonable prices. Range from 1.20 up to 2.90 or something like that.

Great,  thanks

gallsman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 13, 2016, 05:15:29 PM

best exercises are pulling and pushing a bar with weight with lots of mobility work
eg squat, snatch, deadlift, cleans, high pulls, pull ups, overhead press, high pull deadlift

Whereas there are "real world applications" of squats etc? What a preposterous statement. It's all just strength training - with suspension training you can make it as difficult or as easy as you want depending on the angle you work at it. It'll also engage your core far more than any compound weight exercise

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: gallsman on January 13, 2016, 07:13:54 PM

Whereas there are "real world applications" of squats etc? What a preposterous statement. It's all just strength training - with suspension training you can make it as difficult or as easy as you want depending on the angle you work at it. It'll also engage your core far more than any compound weight exercise
when you squat under a bar you use most muscle groups in the body
it improves knee, ankle and hip mobility
my point was that TRX is grand, to be good at TRX.
you don't play sports or use straps in everyday activities.

if you ever do a strength and conditioning qualification, show me the section where they cover TRX stuff

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 13, 2016, 09:40:43 PM

if you ever do a strength and conditioning qualification, show me the section where they cover TRX stuff

Id say most people (who don't play anymore) try and do different exercise's to keep it varied....

Doing squats, dead lifts and all that heavy stuff us great if you're into building muscle and being a meat head, for me its about agility, strength, core, cardio... and stretch/balance....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

To the contrary, it does the exact opposite of improve mobility, hence why so many people, including me, pay particular attention to doing mobility activity in conjunction with a weight programme. Doing compound weight movements is great for strength training and building muscle. There are other exercises that can provide strength gain benefits in addition to mobility/agility etc

One of your suggestions was snatching - for anyone other than a competitive weight or powerlifter, there's absolutely no reason to do snatches. It's downright dangerous for untrained or poorly trained people.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: gallsman on January 13, 2016, 10:19:47 PM

To the contrary, it does the exact opposite of improve mobility, hence why so many people, including me, pay particular attention to doing mobility activity in conjunction with a weight programme. Doing compound weight movements is great for strength training and building muscle. There are other exercises that can provide strength gain benefits in addition to mobility/agility etc

One of your suggestions was snatching - for anyone other than a competitive weight or powerlifter, there's absolutely no reason to do snatches. It's downright dangerous for untrained or poorly trained people.
that is laughable
snatch is one of best exercises for mobility and power eg all GAA players and sports people in general
if a county team at this stage are not doing snatches and power cleans etc then they are 10 years behind in their S&C thinking

squats are only one part of weight training
if squats are causing tightness, it is due to poor programming.

Most exercises in the gym should be squat or deadlift based

ballinaman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 13, 2016, 10:30:06 PM

that is laughable
snatch is one of best exercises for mobility and power eg all GAA players and sports people in general
if a county team at this stage are not doing snatches and power cleans etc then they are 10 years behind in their S&C thinking

Including people with cam or pincer head deformities?

Hereiam

My Gym session would be something lime this
Stretches
5mins on threadmill to get the bloid flowing
Bench press
60kg x 10
          x8
Etc
When i get down to 5 i start to add more weight until the last lift is 90kg. Will keep building this
Between each set of reps i do 10 each of chin ups leg curls squats etc
Do some arm curls sit ups push ups plank after this.
I usually finish with 5k on the treadmill alternating the speed usuall have this done in 20 mins
Cool down
Shower
Home
Need to loose a stone or two.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: ballinaman on January 13, 2016, 10:47:21 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 13, 2016, 10:30:06 PM

that is laughable

Including people with cam or pincer head deformities?
No. I'm afraid not.

Those conditions are complex and require specific medical attention