Gym

Started by Soup an Samajiz, October 28, 2015, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on January 15, 2016, 10:56:55 AM
Quote from: outinfront on January 15, 2016, 10:46:58 AM
I won't pretend to be a guru but what (little) I do know is that it is vitally important to build up a good level of strength using compound movements - for example 1.5xBW for squat, BW bench, etc  is a good target. Olympic lifts then help to express this strength in a show of explosive power. They undoubtedly have great benefits for sports however they are difficult to learn and performed badly lead to injury. Full snatches and cleans for example have little crossover to football.  A high snatch pull or power clean might be better.  Again I feel a good level of strength must be built up (with focus on form and full range of movement rather than rushing to lift big weights poorly)and then other power exercises like box jumps, med ball slams and sprints can help develop your power. For power Reps should be kept low, recovery plentiful and effort high on each rep.

Body builders are an entirely different kettle of fish. Training for Aesthetics is not the same as training for sports performance.

+1

These BW targets you gave above - what sort of numbers rep wise would you see as a good level for squat and bench...or is it 1 rep max you refer to ??

outinfront

1 rep targets:

1.5xBW Squat
BW Bench
0.75BW overhead press
1.75xBW Deadlift

Good starting point for a decent level of strength.  For some this may seem not a lot but I guarantee the amount of people that can't reach these targets is plentiful.  Progress should be slow and form good.  Never rush to lift what you can't!

manfromdelmonte

I'd snatch around 50kg, but just for the craic

anyway, getting back to it...

benching is a waste of time, and a very poor indicator of overall strength
now, overhead strict press. There is a great test of upper body strength.

screenexile

Quote from: outinfront on January 15, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
1 rep targets:

1.5xBW Squat
BW Bench
0.75BW overhead press
1.75xBW Deadlift

Good starting point for a decent level of strength.  For some this may seem not a lot but I guarantee the amount of people that can't reach these targets is plentiful.  Progress should be slow and form good.  Never rush to lift what you can't!

Could do all those except the deadlift... I have some kind of weakness in my back which throws me out at around the 130kg mark (Weigh 90Kgs currently).

gallsman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 15, 2016, 12:16:45 PM

After all your passionate eulogizing about snatches etc, you can only snatch 50kg?! Not very strong, are you?

oakleaflad

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2016, 02:13:41 PM

After all your passionate eulogizing about snatches etc, you can only snatch 50kg?! Not very strong, are you?
That's the kind of thing people say that always put me off going to the gym.

gallsman

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 15, 2016, 02:37:31 PM

If you read the thread, maybe you'd have worked out that it was firmly tongue in cheek.

screenexile

Tighten up to f**k!!

ballinaman

Quote from: screenexile on January 15, 2016, 02:42:33 PM

Tighten up to f**k!!
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/01/13/gym-guy-to-work-on-burying-insecurities-a-little-deeper-down-today/
Note: I'm actually a big fan of the gym when done correctly...movement is medicine !

doodaa

1 rep targets:

1.5xBW Squat
BW Bench
0.75BW overhead press
1.75xBW Deadlift

Are you talking about the general public or specifically a GAA player?
I would reckon most GAA players would lift those target weights fairly comfortably.

I reckon the following would indicate a good level of strength for a GAA player for a 1 rep max;
1.75xBW Squat
1.5xBW Bench
BW overhead press
2xBW Deadlift

gallsman

Quote from: doodaa on January 15, 2016, 02:48:21 PM
1 rep targets:

1.5xBW Squat
BW Bench
0.75BW overhead press
1.75xBW Deadlift

I would reckon most GAA players would lift those target weights easily.

I reckon the following would indicate a good level of strength for a GAA player for a 1 rep max;
1.75xBW Squat
1.5xBW Bench
BW overhead press
2xBW Deadlift

That would surprise me massively, unless it's a push press and there's momentum from the legs going into it. Maybe a lot of IC players with S&C programs and free access to good gyms maybe, but I doubt your average left half back on the club team could lift that at all.

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on January 15, 2016, 02:43:40 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 15, 2016, 02:42:33 PM

Tighten up to f**k!!
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/01/13/gym-guy-to-work-on-burying-insecurities-a-little-deeper-down-today/
Note: I'm actually a big fan of the gym when done correctly...movement is medicine !

Very good.
Also like this one.
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/01/07/f**king-hero-out-running-in-the-rain/
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

doodaa

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2016, 02:51:34 PM
Quote from: doodaa on January 15, 2016, 02:48:21 PM
1 rep targets:

1.5xBW Squat
BW Bench
0.75BW overhead press
1.75xBW Deadlift

I would reckon most GAA players would lift those target weights easily.

1.75xBW Squat
1.5xBW Bench
BW overhead press
2xBW Deadlift

That would surprise me massively, unless it's a push press and there's momentum from the legs going into it. Maybe a lot of IC players with S&C programs and free access to good gyms maybe, but I doubt your average left half back on the club team could lift that at all.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that one. I assumed it was a push press with a bit of momentum in the legs as even 0.75xBW with no leg push would be tight enough going.

outinfront

I was talking about what would be considered a general 'decent' level of strength.  Not necessarily a committed club player who has been following programs for a while.

You would be amazed how many people can't muster a pull up as well.

gallsman

Quote from: outinfront on January 15, 2016, 03:23:37 PM
I was talking about what would be considered a general 'decent' level of strength.  Not necessarily a committed club player who has been following programs for a while.

You would be amazed how many people can't muster a pull up as well.

I would say:

Bench: 1.25xBW
Squat: 1.5xBW
DL: 1.75xBW

If you can do that, I'd wager you're comfortably ahead of most of the population.