Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 16, 2011, 11:44:33 AM
I dont think the backs are a massive worry as the game last Saturday was again used to experiment so we will probably see a more settled and solid defence for London and Galway so I wouldnt worry just yet.

I have mixed feelings about the Offaly game, its hard to read that much into it as there was so much chopping and changing.

One thing is for sure; Offaly seemed well up for it and the game was played at a good pace. Mayo did look a bit flat, which could have been down to hard training during the week and the thoughts of a club league game the next day, whereas Offaly seemed much fresher and as Tubberman said were in championship mode.

At the very least it was a decent and competitive game for Mayo and a few guys got game time like Ronan Rochford, Kevin Dolan, Trevor Mortimor, Dermot Geraghty etc

A couple of things would worry me though.

The injury list seems to be piling up with a serious amount of players getting niggles and strains. I dont know is this down to how hard they are being pushed training wise but there seems to be a lot of players picking up injury's.

On that point, Douglas went off after just a couple of minutes and seemed to be in serious distress, does anyone know what happened?

Similarly Seamus O Shea lasted only seconds before he took a big hit and went off with a shoulder injury. R&GS might let us know the extent of it...

Kevin Dolan and Robbie Hennelly were limping afterwards as well. Hennelly didn't seem too worried, but Dolan looked very pissed off and I heard he had done his ligaments (not sure if knee or ankle, reocurrence of a previous injury apparently).
Hope it's not true as he has been very unlucky - broken jaw first day out, so hasn't had a real chance to stake a claim for a place.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Was there any other county players that was not involved with their clubs at the weekend?

Off the top of my head, guys carrying knocks and strains include:
Dillon
Cillian O Connor
Trevor Howley
Jason Gibbons
Douglas
Richie Feeney
Kevin Dolan
Hennelly
Seamus O Shea
McGarity

venter

It was a poor performance on saturday.

The backs were pretty slack on several occasions. I don't think any of them did themselves many favours.  Ger Cafferky looked to be under pressure ( was that Niall Mcnamee he was marking?)Tom Cunniffe had a bad second half and was getting it in the ear from the manager.
Gibbons was anonymous at midfield. We completely collapsed when James Kilcullen was removed from that area for peace keeping reasons. He played well when he was on the pitch and adds much needed steel to the team.

Freeman was the pick of the forwards.I reckon this will be the championship team Horan picks for the galway game
:
D Clarke

D Vaughan/C Barrett
G Cafferkey
K Higgins

R Feeney
T Cunniffe
D Vaughan/P Gardiner

J Kilcullen
R Mcgarrity

A Moran
A O'Se
A Dillon

J Doherty
A Freeman
K Mcloughlin

I think Vaughan is viewed as one of the key men and will be kept in at the expense of c barrett or peadar.
Its worrying that there are so few nailed down for the team
Higgins
R Feeney
Mcgarrity
A Dillon
A Freeman
J Doherty
A Moran (maybe)
Thats only 6/7

RedandGreenSniper

I'll ask the question again - why are we taking Ger Cafferkey from centre-half back and putting Tom Cunniffe there? If this happened under Johnno we'd be talking about him being afraid to try things. Its worrying, I fear.

On the injury front Seamie O'Shea has damaged his AC joint. Not broken but waiting for scan results to determine the extent of muscle/ligament damage. Robbie Hennelly got a bad bang on the shin but was able to play Sunday.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 16, 2011, 11:22:51 PM
I'll ask the question again - why are we taking Ger Cafferkey from centre-half back and putting Tom Cunniffe there? If this happened under Johnno we'd be talking about him being afraid to try things. Its worrying, I fear. On the injury front Seamie O'Shea has damaged his AC joint. Not broken but waiting for scan results to determine the extent of muscle/ligament damage. Robbie Hennelly got a bad bang on the shin but was able to play Sunday.

This is unfortunately what happens when the gun is loaded. Or maybe not - it was just a challenge game after all. But the signs, while not omionous, are worrying. While IolarCoisCuain made a great case for an extended summer to a quarter final ,even if we lose the Galway game the reality will probably be much different. As Venter pointed out, there is hardly a settled line in the team yet. A settled, hardened team like, say Tyrone, could cope losing early and come through the qualifiers. But if we lose to Galway, how many will survive for the next game? This mayo team needs to win to develop. I hate to say it but if we lose early we will lose again early.
  The chop - change in the league was the way to go and I hope he goes with the shape that was evident when we were in good shape  during games there. It was,nt obscure. Cunniffe 2, Higgins 4, Feeney5, Caff 6, Burke 7. Ronan if fit, AOS, Campbell, Dillon, MCL. Freeman, Andy, Doc. If there is change from that - barring injuries naturally - then we should worry. Injured players that are coming back can force their way back over the summer. But, as Sniper has said, if Caff at 3 is where we ve ended up then...... It could be just an exercise in Amageddon, in case he has to be deployed there in certain circumstances. But surely others could have done with that experience.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on May 17, 2011, 12:28:44 AM

This is unfortunately what happens when the gun is loaded. Or maybe not - it was just a challenge game after all. But the signs, while not omionous, are worrying. While IolarCoisCuain made a great case for an extended summer to a quarter final ,even if we lose the Galway game the reality will probably be much different. As Venter pointed out, there is hardly a settled line in the team yet. A settled, hardened team like, say Tyrone, could cope losing early and come through the qualifiers. But if we lose to Galway, how many will survive for the next game? This mayo team needs to win to develop. I hate to say it but if we lose early we will lose again early.
  The chop - change in the league was the way to go and I hope he goes with the shape that was evident when we were in good shape  during games there. It was,nt obscure. Cunniffe 2, Higgins 4, Feeney5, Caff 6, Burke 7. Ronan if fit, AOS, Campbell, Dillon, MCL. Freeman, Andy, Doc. If there is change from that - barring injuries naturally - then we should worry. Injured players that are coming back can force their way back over the summer. But, as Sniper has said, if Caff at 3 is where we ve ended up then...... It could be just an exercise in Amageddon, in case he has to be deployed there in certain circumstances. But surely others could have done with that experience.

Well if Horan was seriously looking to either Alan Feeney or Cathal Hallinan at full-back, surely they'd be playing there in challenge games because neither of them got an extended run there in the League and they would both need games. Perhaps Horan doesn't rate either? I wouldn't agree with him there but he's taking a long time to come to that view, if he has. And, in doing so, he's putting a guy at centre-half back who patently isn't suited to the position. I'd worry about that. Moysider I'd agree with most of the shape you are talking about but I'd not be so sure about Burke at 7 and Campbell at 10. Burke would be one of several contenders - Vaughan, Howley among them - with none standing high above the rest. Kilcullen at midfield, Aidan O'Shea in the half forward line with Andy and Dillon and McLoughlin dropping from 13 would be more along the lines of what I'd envisage.

Iolar is right in some respects about the Galway game not being the be all and end all. That attitude of not fancying the qualifiers needs to change. But will it? Galway is huge imho.

venter

why are we taking Ger Cafferkey from centre-half back

Cafferkey is a superb athlete. He is strong, fast and has a good change of direction which allows him to be a reasonably sticky defender. He has enough height to at least contest high balls against bigger full forwards. I think he will do well for us at full back.

I dont think he has a future at centre back. He struggles to  control the ball when he is soloing out of defence, even when he is in open space. He has poor technique. His kicking is not good.

At full back, you dont need to be a good kicker or solo-er. Who was the donegal full back that played and won an all ireland in '92 without kicking the ball in the final?

Tatler Jack

I think Horan knows that the average Mayo supporter needs to be worried come championship time and he is just ensuring that there is no lack of anxiety. Can't imagine how they would cope if there was a settled team, no worries over central positions and quietly confident of winning Connacht without too much fuss!!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: venter on May 17, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Cafferkey is a superb athlete. He is strong, fast and has a good change of direction which allows him to be a reasonably sticky defender. He has enough height to at least contest high balls against bigger full forwards. I think he will do well for us at full back.

I dont think he has a future at centre back. He struggles to  control the ball when he is soloing out of defence, even when he is in open space. He has poor technique. His kicking is not good.

At full back, you dont need to be a good kicker or solo-er. Who was the donegal full back that played and won an all ireland in '92 without kicking the ball in the final?

Matt Gallagher I think is the Donegal guy in question. See I don't know that Ger is our best full-back either. He is not exceptional in the air and has struggled in that regard at full-back, despite his height. I take your point about his football skill at centre-half back but James Nallen wasn't a superb kicker of the ball either. I'm borrowing from moysider here but Cafferkey won't need to kick too much ball at 6, especially with the pattern of the modern game towards handpassing. Most importantly at centre-half back he reads the game well and he is a defender first, which is what we certainly need when you bear in mind the attacking instincts of all our wing-back contenders.
Tom Cunniffe has lightning pace but, like Cafferkey, his ball skills aren't great. Unlike Cafferkey he doesn't read the game terribly well and he is too inclined to bomb forward. He's a contender for a wing-back spot or maybe in the corner but shouldn't be in the centre.

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 17, 2011, 12:59:13 PM
I think Horan knows that the average Mayo supporter needs to be worried come championship time and he is just ensuring that there is no lack of anxiety. Can't imagine how they would cope if there was a settled team, no worries over central positions and quietly confident of winning Connacht without too much fuss!!

Ah, we'll win Connacht alright. It's getting the key positions right for the likes of Kerry and Cork I'm worried about.  :P

Farrandeelin

Any time I've seen Cafferkey at no 6, he usually lays it off with a handpass to somebody nearer to kick it out. He should be left at no 6 for the remainder of the year I think. Not too sure about Burke at no 7 though moy.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 17, 2011, 10:40:35 PM
Any time I've seen Cafferkey at no 6, he usually lays it off with a handpass to somebody nearer to kick it out. He should be left at no 6 for the remainder of the year I think. Not too sure about Burke at no 7 though moy.

There s little enough we can be sure about but I think he s worth a punt. To be honest though I have my doubts that he ll be in the mix. Maybe it s just a hunch but I get the impression that we will end up where we started from. We ve always been conservative and may still be. That would be a mistake in my opinion but management is working with these guys all the time so they are in position to make the calls. I sincerely hope Horan puts his own shape on things for the championship and be bold with selection.

ballinaman

Any idea of the ticket price for Ruislip lads?? Going bring a few English lads to see the real beautiful game!

spuds

Quote from: ballinaman on May 19, 2011, 09:29:17 PM
Any idea of the ticket price for Ruislip lads?? Going bring a few English lads to see the real beautiful game!

Googled and got this
http://www.dromintee.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=234:ulster-gaa-championship-ticket-prices-2011&catid=36:parishnotes&Itemid=18

Ulster GAA Championship Ticket Prices 2011
www.ulster.gaa.ie
USFC20102011
Quarter Final and Semi Final Games
                                                         2010    2011
Under 16 (to non-ticket games)                 Free    Free
Student (Terrace)                               NA    €10/£9
Senior Citizen (Terrace)                     €10/£9    €10/£9
Family (child for all games)                       €5/£5    €5/£5
Terrace & Senior Citizen                   €15/£13    €15/£13
Uncovered Stand/Unreserved           €25/£21    €25/£21
Covered Stand                                    €27/£23    €27/£23
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

rosnarun

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 17, 2011, 04:33:38 PM

Matt Gallagher I think is the Donegal guy in question. See I don't know that Ger is our best full-back either. He is not exceptional in the air and has struggled in that regard at full-back, despite his height. I take your point about his football skill at centre-half back but James Nallen wasn't a superb kicker of the ball either. I'm borrowing from moysider here but Cafferkey won't need to kick too much ball at 6, especially with the pattern of the modern game towards handpassing. Most importantly at centre-half back he reads the game well and he is a defender first, which is what we certainly need when you bear in mind the attacking instincts of all our wing-back contenders.
Tom Cunniffe has lightning pace but, like Cafferkey, his ball skills aren't great. Unlike Cafferkey he doesn't read the game terribly well and he is too inclined to bomb forward. He's a contender for a wing-back spot or maybe in the corner but shouldn't be in the centre.

Ah, we'll win Connacht alright. It's getting the key positions right for the likes of Kerry and Cork I'm worried about.  :P

yet again people bending over backwards trying to make a case for cafferkey. there isnt one . he was tried at fullback he failed , he has been tried at chb and has failed im only waiting for the ballina crew to bring up how he was a deadly full forward at u-14 and freeman should be dropped to make way for him.
On a different subject  Trevor Mortimer came on a CHB the last day could Horan be really thinking  about it ?  have we had our trevor's back to front howley a forward and mort a back? they both have the class to be on but i would have my doubts
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: rosnarun on May 20, 2011, 01:20:33 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 17, 2011, 04:33:38 PM

yet again people bending over backwards trying to make a case for cafferkey. there isnt one . he was tried at fullback he failed , he has been tried at chb and has failed im only waiting for the ballina crew to bring up how he was a deadly full forward at u-14 and freeman should be dropped to make way for him.
On a different subject  Trevor Mortimer came on a CHB the last day could Horan be really thinking  about it ?  have we had our trevor's back to front howley a forward and mort a back? they both have the class to be on but i would have my doubts

Did Cafferkey take your woman one night in Longnecks Ros?