The Poppy

Started by Hereiam, November 01, 2008, 11:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Just want to know if there was a green coloured poppy to represent the Irish men and women who died in the world wars, would more nationalists were them. I know its been talked about before but it is a disgrace the way the prods have taken this away form our side remembering the fallen.

Minder

If you want to wear one wear one, i think a green poppy would be a bit ridiculous. Its not St Paddys day, everything does not have to be green.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

Exactly what minder said. Why would a poppy be green?

How have 'the prods' taken it away from 'our side'? Buy one if you want - you don't have to show protestant ID.

Handy

Quote from: Hereiam on November 01, 2008, 11:09:25 PM
Just want to know if there was a green coloured poppy to represent the Irish men and women who died in the world wars, would more nationalists were them. I know its been talked about before but it is a disgrace the way the prods have taken this away form our side remembering the fallen.

Why are they on sale, worn - weeks before the "official" date?  Why do the unionist need to piss everywhere and mark their territory - pathetic, pathetic, pathetic!!!  Good to keep the taigs in their place.  :o ::)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Handy on November 01, 2008, 11:46:14 PM

Why are they on sale, worn - weeks before the "official" date?  Why do the unionist need to piss everywhere and mark their territory - pathetic, pathetic, pathetic!!!  Good to keep the taigs in their place.  :o ::)
I'd reckon they make more money selling them over the course of a few weeks than on Remembrance Day... There'd be some queue for them too if they only sold them on the official date! Talk sense man.

Mentalman

We have the same old debate every year. Someone will mention the Easter Lilly next, and we'll be off into a big row again. Let folks wear, some do it as a badge of identification, others do it to remember the fallen. It's up to them.

On another note, it's strange but one of the most poignant uses of the poppy was in the last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth when they go over the top.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Handy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 01, 2008, 11:55:02 PM
Quote from: Handy on November 01, 2008, 11:46:14 PM

I'd reckon they make more money selling them over the course of a few weeks than on Remembrance Day... There'd be some queue for them too if they only sold them on the official date! Talk sense man.

Ah right so - got it - noel thompson wears the shamrock 3 weeks before paddy's day - f**k sake take a redder!

pintsofguinness

The unionists in Northern ireland use it as some sort of marker, a badge of identity. 

The one thing I can't stand is turning on the tv and everyone is wearing them for two weeks before the day, there is clearly some sort of policy that everyone must wear one if they're going to be on the tv whether it be presenters or guests and that is just wrong not to mention ironic!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Carmen Stateside

Did someone on the telly not refuse to wear one a few years back?

milltown row

chill out POG, had you been brought up a prod you'd be wearing it to bed. funny thing how what side of the street we are brought up on determinds our views.

Tony Baloney

Just you wear your shamrock for the whole month of March next year. That'll fix the feckers.

As said above some wear the poppy as a manifestation of their prod identity, others wear it to remember the fallen (including soldiers killed in Ireland) and others wear it to remember the fallen only from The Great War.
I wouldn't wear a poppy, but I have no issue with people wearing them to remember anyone who fought in the trenches against Jerry.

Pog why the fixation with NI presenters? All the presenters and guests on the main national programmes wear them too for weeks up to the event. Are they part of the unionist conspiracy too annoy you and Handy?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: milltown row on November 02, 2008, 12:18:01 AM
chill out POG, had you been brought up a prod you'd be wearing it to bed. funny thing how what side of the street we are brought up on determinds our views.
Maybe but I wouldnt wear an easter lilly or shamrocks for two weeks.

tony
Pog why the fixation with NI presenters? All the presenters and guests on the main national programmes wear them too for weeks up to the event. Are they part of the unionist conspiracy too annoy you and Handy?
I was actually talking about the national presenters, although I've no issue with the english wearing a poppy (or anyone from the north if it's for a genuine reason) it just annoys me that there seems to be a policy that you must wear one.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Apologies sir. Aye I have to agree with you on the "policy" as it looks weird when guests from the States turn up on shows and are sitting wearing a poppy.

ziggysego

Donna Trainor refused to wear it a few years ago. Shamrock too.
Testing Accessibility

milltown row

it only looks weird from  'our' point of view no point debating it.

i've worked in Harland and wolff in the 80's!!!!! you get used to flags and poppys and flags and marching and poppys and badges and............