Iain Dowie sacked as QPR manager (plus educated footballers)

Started by FermPundit, October 24, 2008, 04:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermPundit

Iain Dowie has been sacked after just 15 games in charge with the team sitting ninth in the championship.

Whilst reading about his dismissal I learned that Dowie holds a Master's degree in engineering (M.Eng).

Are there many other professional footballers, past or present who are also well educated? I think Shaka Hislop is a mechanical Engineer and Arjan de Zeeuw has a degree in medical science.

Can anyone name any others?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

AZOffaly

Steve Heighway had a degree in something or other. I thought Graeme leSaux had as well, or was he just pseudo intellectual. There's a few I think, in fairness.

Main Street

How come GLS gets labelled with a "pseudo intellect"  tag?
A footballer can talk proper as in express himself coherently, read a few books as well  but if he hasn't a degree then he is a pseudo intellectual.

T Fearon

Tony Galvin, ex Spurs and Ireland winger, has a degree in Russian

Jim Craig, right back on Celtic team that won the European Cup is a dentist.

Brian Mc Clair ex Celtic and Man Ure has a Chemistry degree.

All of the above graduated before or whilst they were playing football professionally.

nifan

Colin Murdoch had a law degree.

Most famously Socrates was a doctor

Colin Murdoch and Socrates in the same post - I feel terrible!

FermPundit

Most of these players are from the past or coming to the end of their playing careers. I can't see too many players in the future being given the opportunity to gain such a good education given that they are taken out of school at such a young age and put into each club's football academy. Older players moving up the leagues after gaining an education doesn't really happen these days either.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on October 24, 2008, 04:45:14 PM
How come GLS gets labelled with a "pseudo intellect"  tag?
A footballer can talk proper as in express himself coherently, read a few books as well  but if he hasn't a degree then he is a pseudo intellectual.

Guilty. I shouldn't have made that assumption about him.

I always got the impression he, and certainly his fellow pros, considered him a more studious type person. I thought he had a degree as well, but he might not have. I shouldn;t have used that phrase though. Good shout.

Minder

I believe Cristiano Ronaldo has a first class honours in amateur dramatics
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 24, 2008, 05:43:30 PM
Guilty. I shouldn't have made that assumption about him.

I always got the impression he, and certainly his fellow pros, considered him a more studious type person. I thought he had a degree as well, but he might not have. I shouldn;t have used that phrase though. Good shout.
It's more that I was shocked that you thought that a degree certifies intellectual worth :)
I haven't a clue about Graham.

youngfella

Quote from: Minder on October 24, 2008, 06:10:35 PM
I believe Cristiano Ronaldo has a first class honours in amateur dramatics

I swear i read it was a Phd
Pull hard and early

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

nifan

Quote from: FermPundit on October 24, 2008, 05:17:59 PM
Most of these players are from the past or coming to the end of their playing careers. I can't see too many players in the future being given the opportunity to gain such a good education given that they are taken out of school at such a young age and put into each club's football academy. Older players moving up the leagues after gaining an education doesn't really happen these days either.

I think Jonny Evans got 3 As at A level.
If he really wanted to I am sure he could continue his education given the free time he has.

brokencrossbar1

O'Neill started his Law Degree but I don't think he ever finished it.  I think I remember reading somewhere that he was in the same year as David Trimble in law, but I could be wrong.  I know someone else who was in QUB law at the time who didn't finish his degree but went on to a less illustrious career.