McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 12, 2009, 01:10:51 AM
Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 12:47:52 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 12, 2009, 12:44:14 AM
The big scoop in GAA used to be an interview with Ciaran McDonald. Now it would have to be an in-depth, revealing interview with Frank Murphy. I would pay good money for that.

An honest interview with FM. Pay good money doesn't even begin to cover it. He's the biggest shit stirrer you'll find. He surfaces every so often, and disapears again with not a camera or a paper in sight. He doesn't even allow media at the meetings.

Pay good money is right.

When the history of Cork hurling is written Frank Murphy will take his rightfull place at the bottom of the pile.

Reillers you're constantly throwing up this term and once again I say your use of language is more reflective of you than who you refer to.

What's usually at the bottom of a pile? Shit, or at least rubbish?

What you are doing is attempting to dehumanise Frank Murphy and in doing so leave him open to whatever abuse might come his way and make it acceptable.
So if Frank gets a phone call you can always say he made his bed, or why worry about him he's a piece of shite.

And there may be someone agreeing with you and who decides to give him that call. The call that no pro posters on here had the decency to immediately condemn and call on the 2008 panel to do the same but rather attempt to deflect where the 2008 panel had taken this whole affair.

Has Frank Murphy no family? Does he deserve to be dehumanised in all of this?

You can't even come out with a logical argument, nor your like, passedit, nipping in now and again, gaa and zulu. No big list of all his wrongs. But if you can get into people's heads he's a piece of shit that'll do.

Frank Murphy deserves nothing.

No one on here has condoned the death threats. I've said I think they're a disgrace, that they are not Cork fans who've done it. But no apparently that's not condemning it at all.
No on here condones that Dowling, at all and it's completly unfair to say otherwise.

But if the playes said they got it though, what about ye, would ye jump to the players defence, I doubt it. Ye think so little of them, at least we respect Gerald. He have shown consistantly yere pure hate and lack of respect for the hurlers.
Not one of us condoned it and I think every pro player poster on here condemned it.  You've no right to say otherwise Dowling, no right at all.
We've said it's not right, the threats he got, if the players got them, would you say the same?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 01:18:15 AM
The big scoop in GAA used to be an interview with Ciaran McDonald. Now it would have to be an in-depth, revealing interview with Frank Murphy. I would pay good money for that.

An honest interview with FM. Pay good money doesn't even begin to cover it. He's the biggest shit stirrer you'll find. He surfaces every so often, and disapears again with not a camera or a paper in sight. He doesn't even allow media at the meetings.

Pay good money is right.

When the history of Cork hurling is written Frank Murphy will take his rightfull place at the bottom of the pile.

Reillers you're constantly throwing up this term and once again I say your use of language is more reflective of you than who you refer to.

What you are doing is attempting to dehumanise Frank Murphy and in doing so leave him open to whatever abuse might come his way and make it acceptable.
So if Frank gets a phone call you can always say he made his bed, or why worry about him he's a piece of shite.

And there may be someone agreeing with you and who decides to give him that call. The call that no pro posters on here had the decency to immediately condemn and call on the 2008 panel to do the same but rather attempt to deflect where the 2008 panel had taken this whole affair.

You can't even come out with a logical argument, nor your like, passedit, nipping in now and again, gaa and zulu. No big list of all his wrongs. But if you can get into people's heads he's a piece of shit that'll do.

No one on here has condoned the death threats. I've said I think they're a disgrace, that they are not Cork fans who've done it. But no apparently that's not condemning it at all.
No on here condones that Dowling, at all and it's completly unfair to say otherwise.

But if the playes said they got it though, what about ye, would ye jump to the players defence, I doubt it. Ye think so little of them, at least we respect Gerald. He have shown consistantly yere pure hate and lack of respect for the hurlers.
Not one of us condoned it and I think every pro player poster on here condemned it.  You've no right to say otherwise Dowling, no right at all.
We've said it's not right, the threats he got, if the players got them, would you say the same?

In fairness Reillers, I dont think thats a very fair comment to make.  Just because we dont agree with what the players did does not mean we hate them.  Very little respect for some of the players maybe, but hate I dont think so.

dowling

Pay good money is right.

Well if he deserves nothing he doesn't deserve to be dehumanised.

dowling

Pay good money is right.

I won't be buying into this deflecting reillers. Any pro posters who commented on the death threats received by Gerald McCarthy downplayed them, and indeed questioned the authenticity of them, and you especially tried to deflect attention away from them.

Some of us warned this dispute was going into dangerous territory and were proved correct. You continually trying to dehumanise Frank Murphy, in spite of whatever faults he may or may not have, is following a like path.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 12, 2009, 01:30:15 AM

Pay good money is right.

I won't be buying into this deflecting reillers. Any pro posters who commented on the death threats received by Gerald McCarthy downplayed them, and indeed questioned the authenticity of them, and you especially tried to deflect attention away from them.

Some of us warned this dispute was going into dangerous territory and were proved correct. You continually trying to dehumanise Frank Murphy, in spite of whatever faults he may or may not have, is following a like path.

No one condoned them at all.
No one downplayed them either. Ya people were going to question them, question the timing of them, but no one condoned them and everyone acknowledged that it was serious and unjust.

I didn't try to deflect attention away from it at all, I merely said that it wasn't the players fault, which is what ye were trying to say.

Frank Murphy is a disgrace to Cork GAA. He and you and some of your lot have no problem dehumanising the players, blaming them for everything and anything.
He's a disgrace to Cork GAA, he tried to control Cork GAA. He made a decision to give Gerald the job back a few months ago for the sole puropse of getting rid of the players and whatever abuse either side got for it he has been soley respobsible for it happening in the first place (others are responsible for their own actions but were put in the position they were because of FM.)
He hasn't done the right thing by Cork GAA for a very long time.
He has no problem telling the clubs where to go. He sat back and let all of this unfold for months, he just wasn't counting on the clubs standing up against the CB.
He puts pressure on clubs to back him. He blackens clubs who go against him. He uses HIS rule book as a weapong and best of all he does it all at 100% level all the time because he can get away scott free with it.
Knowing no one can fire him and that Croke Park value him too much when it comes to the rule book to ever get rid of him.

He is curropted by power and has been for a very long time.

This, all of this, this is his fault.
When you put two vicious starving dogs into one room only one thing will happen. He went out of his way to get rid of the IC players and had no problem using Gerald, a legend of a player, as a pawn.

He deserve nothing.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 01:41:08 AM

Pay good money is right.

No one condoned them at all.
No one downplayed them either. Ya people were going to question them, question the timing of them, but no one condoned them and everyone acknowledged that it was serious and unjust.

I didn't try to deflect attention away from it at all, I merely said that it wasn't the players fault, which is what ye were trying to say.

Frank Murphy is a disgrace to Cork GAA. He and you and some of your lot have no problem dehumanising the players, blaming them for everything and anything.
He's a disgrace to Cork GAA, he tried to control Cork GAA. He made a decision to give Gerald the job back a few months ago for the sole puropse of getting rid of the players and whatever abuse either side got for it he has been soley respobsible for it happening in the first place (others are responsible for their own actions but were put in the position they were because of FM.)
He hasn't done the right thing by Cork GAA for a very long time.
He has no problem telling the clubs where to go. He sat back and let all of this unfold for months, he just wasn't counting on the clubs standing up against the CB.
He puts pressure on clubs to back him. He blackens clubs who go against him. He uses HIS rule book as a weapong and best of all he does it all at 100% level all the time because he can get away scott free with it.
Knowing no one can fire him and that Croke Park value him too much when it comes to the rule book to ever get rid of him.

He is curropted by power and has been for a very long time.

This, all of this, this is his fault.
When you put two vicious starving dogs into one room only one thing will happen. He went out of his way to get rid of the IC players and had no problem using Gerald, a legend of a player, as a pawn.

He deserve nothing.

So does he deserve to be the target of dehumanising language? Is he just a piece of shit? And are you happy to stand by your use of langauge irrespective of someone maybe taking it upon themselves to decide he needs 'spoken' to?

Bud Wiser

Reillers, the Evening Herald yesterday printed the full text of Geralds resignation speech.  Now, I have referred to sponsorship on several occasions and on each occasion you have chosen to ignore me, maybe you think I am nit picking.  Now, leaving aside the Ku Klux Klan element ye have down there Gerald McCarthy made reference to 450,000 worth of sponsorship for clubs througout Cork that was lost.  He referred to players who were in it for their own personal gain.  Eddie Keher in the same article expressed serious concerns about the "ripple effect" that Cork could have on other counties relating to sponsorship and the team choosing who manages them.

Now for the last time can I ask you:
What is your views on players getting sponsorship and keeping it for themselves.  I am not talking about the odd 1,000 euro here, I am talking big amounts, do you think that players should negotiate their own sponsorship deals and the players decide who should manage them and the players decide how the money from sponsorship is divided without the county board having any say.  You do or you don't, which?  450,000 is a substantial sum of money.  How much sponsorship have the individualls and panel mmbers received?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 12, 2009, 01:41:08 AM

Pay good money is right.

No one downplayed them either.

More lies from Reillers.

You said yesterday morning (I paraphrase):

"These 'threats' I never said anything before about these supposed threats his daughter got from CIRA or whoever, I don't believe them. The media is sensationalising the whole thing"

Now please reconcile that with your lie above...

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 11:05:14 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 11, 2009, 10:43:41 PM
The whole point of the club meetings was to put pressure on Frank. And it was working. Now they appear to be rollling back from it. I can't see how they can have any credibility whatsoever if they resume playing with Frank involved having on a limb for the last 5 months. It'll just be another strike 12 months down the road. I thought the players were doing this for the betterment of Cork Gaa in general. Surely in order to do that they have to get rid of Frank with the clubs help. Or has that all been forgotten? Its all very strange .

The players can't do the clubs business. It's up to the clubs now.

Flip flop flip flop...

rrhf

I always suspected that money was involved here somewhere, at some point during this debate, the cries of love for the Cork jersey didnt reconcile with the blood that some where prepared to spill for to have their will enforced.  Id love to see a good thorough investigation into any maverick activities carried out if any are suspected.  Make no mistake about it the Cork situation is a microcosm - some would say a test case for those who wish to put the county players onto the financial gravy train. 
One other point in the North we have had more than enough experience of partisan politics drumming up support for this campaign and that campaign, and we have also watched as dehumaisation of opposite parties has been encouraged, when the inevitabe threat or worse occurs, we also have observed those who created the situation disappear and claim their distance.   Maybe in some ways the demonisation of Gerald Mc carthy and the subsequent reaction to this demonisation by an idiotic mindless few can be attributed to an  irresponsible and dehumanising campaign of vilification of which I have no doubt reillers you are close to and know the sources of.   

johnneycool

Quote from: Bud Wiser on March 12, 2009, 08:44:16 AM
Reillers, the Evening Herald yesterday printed the full text of Geralds resignation speech.  Now, I have referred to sponsorship on several occasions and on each occasion you have chosen to ignore me, maybe you think I am nit picking.  Now, leaving aside the Ku Klux Klan element ye have down there Gerald McCarthy made reference to 450,000 worth of sponsorship for clubs througout Cork that was lost.  He referred to players who were in it for their own personal gain.  Eddie Keher in the same article expressed serious concerns about the "ripple effect" that Cork could have on other counties relating to sponsorship and the team choosing who manages them.

Now for the last time can I ask you:
What is your views on players getting sponsorship and keeping it for themselves.  I am not talking about the odd 1,000 euro here, I am talking big amounts, do you think that players should negotiate their own sponsorship deals and the players decide who should manage them and the players decide how the money from sponsorship is divided without the county board having any say.  You do or you don't, which?  450,000 is a substantial sum of money.  How much sponsorship have the individualls and panel mmbers received?

I was wondering about that too Bud. This thread certainly does meander and I thought i'd missed some of the pro players stance on this issue of sponsorship, I'm assuming between drinks companies wishing to sponsor Cork GAA and the other sponsoring the 2008 squad, someone can correct me if I'm inaccurate.

Now if it's true that the 2008 squad scuppered a potential €450,000 deal for Cork GAA because they were being recompensed by another drinks company then that is totally un-acceptable on all levels and they certainly didn't do it for the love of Cork hurling, the junior clubs or whoever has recently supported them.

Is there any truth in this?

turk

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 11, 2009, 10:40:50 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 10:13:39 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 11, 2009, 10:10:48 PM
I'm curious about this line being spouted that Murphy can't be sacked. Reillers has said its gospel but I sincerely doubt it. Perhaps the players don't care if, as some of the pro players posters would say 'the county board don't look out for the best interests of Cork GAA' so long as it doesn't impinge on the senior hurlers. So selfish and not altruistic motives after all. That's my reading of it. Its a holy mess and I'm beginning to think that Cork GAA should be sanctioned for the harm they've brought the GAA through in recent months.

He can't. It's in his contract, which he wrote himself 30 years ago.

Sorry, still don't believe that. I know he's meant to be some man for the rulebook but I doubt there's such a thing as an unsackable person in the GAA. Have you seen this contract? Or, if not, on who's say so are you saying he's unsackable?

Hi RedandGreenSniper

I too would be very iffy about that. A contract is only a piece of paper. Any law student worth his/her salt would point out that such a clause in a contract makes the contract itself unworkable and void.

but none of us have seen this contract.

Bud Wiser

I was down there a few months ago meeting a very senior person in a very famous Cork Gaa Club, and it wasn't Youghal which I mentioned I was in at Christmas for the funeral of a Mr. Swaine.   No, it was another club and the man I was talking to had a son on one of the Cork County teams, I am not saying which.  He told me of huge sponsorships that had been done on a personal basis between high profile players, he told me of a joint sponsorship deal that was done with the entire panel and that (to use his words) "Frank Murphy was going mad because none of the money was going to the county board or clubs" .   That's what he told me, it is a famous club and I have no reason whatsoever to disbelieve him.

If that is the case it has serious implications for the GAA.  They are:

1.  Other counties will want to do the same and a split will come right down the middle of the GAA.  You will have the likes of John Power from Kilkenny who driving a tractor around a farm and milking cows while giving his all for the cause of his county and you will have others sitting around a board room table in suits  sipping energy drinks while they decide who gets how many thousand out of a new divvy that has come their way.

2.  Expect the texts to start flying any day saying as I have suggested on the other thread that the new manager of Cork is Max Clifford, that is where this is heading. The best manager will not be one like Gerald McCarthy but one who can negotiate the best deal.

3.  If one more county follow the destructive road that Cork have taken the GAA as far as hurling is concerned is finished. Take away all the shit and smoke screens, this was about the right of the team to select their own manager and agree their own sponsorship deals.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Hurling is our national game and it is already taking second place in a ot of ways.  Every county including Cork need money to promote hurling, not promote players.

4.  If one more county follow the lead of Cork and if this is about money then we will have the nearest thing to Civil War in the GAA than we have ever had since its foundation 125 years ago.  Civil wars are dirty business, more death threats will be issued if the stakes get as high as I am led to believe they are.  You will have brother against brother as they used to say.  Think what would happen if someone asks the tax man to get involved and investigate individuals, or worse asks the sponsors for details of all sponsorship?  Think of the hatred then that will spread with, as Eddie Keher said a ripple effect.  Cork have brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "A Terrible Beauty is Born".

Nicky Brennan said yesterday that he recently met Gerald McCarthy at his mothers funeral and that no man should ever have to go through what Gerald McCarthy went through.   Dead right NIcky, 100% but, why the hell did Croke Park not stop it the very first week of the strike?  Why? Why let these assholes drag the name of the GAA into the mire and associate it with the CIRA.   I'll tell you why, because it was about money, that's why and now the die has been cast.  Next time a group of players refuse to play unless they get direct sponsorship for themselves and that same sponsor is sponsoring the GAA for two or three million are the GAA going to be in a position to say, no, you are not to sponsor them, the money must go to the GAA so we want you to give us two million but you are not allowedgive the players anything, it is against the rules.  Rules my arse.

Here is a rule for you Nicky.  If a senior intercounty team issue a statement that they are going on strike they should within 24 hrs get a registered letter suspending them from the championship and League for two years.  Why?  I am glad to see Dublin Hurling on the rise but according to Reillers and the Shoppers down in Cork  and the papers the Dub's only played a junior c team. They gained points in the league while Clare have now to play the professionals to try and get the same number of points.  When teams go on strike they upset the entire country and Cork knew that before they started.  What happens if the lower teams that got points for nothing and teams that should be in the first division are relegated?  Whose gate receipts, in turn, icome and in turn money required for clubs have Cork affected then? The team that plays Clare should be the team that played Dublin or no team.  Jesus what I would give to be in Nicky Brennans chair today, I would put manners on these f**kers I tell you. !!

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 07:33:20 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 11, 2009, 07:27:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 07:23:26 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 11, 2009, 07:18:49 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 06:57:18 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 11, 2009, 05:35:18 PM
They paid their respects but felt it wouldn't be appropirate to go.

I'm not letting you tell a blatant lie here Reillers cos that's what you just have told - tell us how how many "paid their respects" and how - how many went to the removal and how many were at the funeral, seeing as you brought it up -

PM me if you don't want to discuss this on the board.

But you've just told a downright lie.

Here is Gerald's statement : McCarthy said the final straw for him came when his father, who is in his mid 80s, pleaded with him to step down after the latest threat.

McCarthy said the ongoing threats and abuse he and his family have had to endure in recent weeks were "one of two tipping points" that have brought him to his decision.

He also claimed last night that "apparent advice" was given to the 2008 players not to attend the recent funeral of his mother, something he says "devastated his father and family".

Exactly "claimed last night that apparent advice was given to the 2008 players

Reillers who cares if they got advice to stay away or not!  The fact of the matter is that they did stay away, which was disrespectful.

A lot of them were at the removal, not mentioned, shock horror. They contacted Gerald also paying their respects. They also put back the meetings with the club.
Maybe just maybe they felt it wouldn't be right going to the funeral.

Yes I already mentioned the ones that did turn up and said fair play to them for doing the right thing, its the rest I was disapointed with.

You ever think that they were sent as reps?

5 players were sent to represent a squad of 30? My bollox. 25 players didn't have the common decency to present themselves at their former manager's mother's funeral, a man who gave them 2 years of his life. This tells me everything I need to know about the vast majority of the 2008 players, to say they have an awful lack of respect would be a massive understatement. However if they were going to get a fee for being present......
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

bingobus

Quote from: Bud Wiser on March 12, 2009, 09:55:48 AM
I was down there a few months ago meeting a very senior person in a very famous Cork Gaa Club, and it wasn't Youghal which I mentioned I was in at Christmas for the funeral of a Mr. Swaine.   No, it was another club and the man I was talking to had a son on one of the Cork County teams, I am not saying which.  He told me of huge sponsorships that had been done on a personal basis between high profile players, he told me of a joint sponsorship deal that was done with the entire panel and that (to use his words) "Frank Murphy was going mad because none of the money was going to the county board or clubs" .   That's what he told me, it is a famous club and I have no reason whatsoever to disbelieve him.

If that is the case it has serious implications for the GAA.  They are:

1.  Other counties will want to do the same and a split will come right down the middle of the GAA.  You will have the likes of John Power from Kilkenny who driving a tractor around a farm and milking cows while giving his all for the cause of his county and you will have others sitting around a board room table in suits  sipping energy drinks while they decide who gets how many thousand out of a new divvy that has come their way.

2.  Expect the texts to start flying any day saying as I have suggested on the other thread that the new manager of Cork is Max Clifford, that is where this is heading. The best manager will not be one like Gerald McCarthy but one who can negotiate the best deal.

3.  If one more county follow the destructive road that Cork have taken the GAA as far as hurling is concerned is finished. Take away all the shit and smoke screens, this was about the right of the team to select their own manager and agree their own sponsorship deals.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Hurling is our national game and it is already taking second place in a ot of ways.  Every county including Cork need money to promote hurling, not promote players.

4.  If one more county follow the lead of Cork and if this is about money then we will have the nearest thing to Civil War in the GAA than we have ever had since its foundation 125 years ago.  Civil wars are dirty business, more death threats will be issued if the stakes get as high as I am led to believe they are.  You will have brother against brother as they used to say.  Think what would happen if someone asks the tax man to get involved and investigate individuals, or worse asks the sponsors for details of all sponsorship?  Think of the hatred then that will spread with, as Eddie Keher said a ripple effect.  Cork have brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "A Terrible Beauty is Born".

Nicky Brennan said yesterday that he recently met Gerald McCarthy at his mothers funeral and that no man should ever have to go through what Gerald McCarthy went through.   Dead right NIcky, 100% but, why the hell did Croke Park not stop it the very first week of the strike?  Why? Why let these assholes drag the name of the GAA into the mire and associate it with the CIRA.   I'll tell you why, because it was about money, that's why and now the die has been cast.  Next time a group of players refuse to play unless they get direct sponsorship for themselves and that same sponsor is sponsoring the GAA for two or three million are the GAA going to be in a position to say, no, you are not to sponsor them, the money must go to the GAA so we want you to give us two million but you are not allowedgive the players anything, it is against the rules.  Rules my arse.

Here is a rule for you Nicky.  If a senior intercounty team issue a statement that they are going on strike they should within 24 hrs get a registered letter suspending them from the championship and League for two years.  Why?  I am glad to see Dublin Hurling on the rise but according to Reillers and the Shoppers down in Cork  and the papers the Dub's only played a junior c team. They gained points in the league while Clare have now to play the professionals to try and get the same number of points.  When teams go on strike they upset the entire country and Cork knew that before they started.  What happens if the lower teams that got points for nothing and teams that should be in the first division are relegated?  Whose gate receipts, in turn, icome and in turn money required for clubs have Cork affected then? The team that plays Clare should be the team that played Dublin or no team.  Jesus what I would give to be in Nicky Brennans chair today, I would put manners on these f**kers I tell you. !!

+1 Best post I have read on this topic.