McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

Whats the point the cork people showed that they hadnt the back bone to stand up for one of their own legends of the game.

They picked short term success over the ethos of the association and I for one hope that it comes back to haunt them for years to come!

sligeach

Any chance we can have the 08 panel banned for this year ? Theres a Cork panel there, genuine GAA players, genuine GAA people in the 2009 panel.

Reillers

Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 10:58:43 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 11, 2009, 09:35:26 AM
I hope they are happy now. No matter what, Gerald McCarthy did not deserve this disgusting treatment and the 2008 panel are directly responsible. I'm sick in the pit of my stomach about it.

This is not the end of course. Something else will be wrong next week. The county board should appoint Donal Óg as manager and let him make a start on the ten in a row championships these geniuses will undoubtedly win.

Sorry to pick out this quote but its just one of a litany of the same sentiment.

those who are sick about the treatment of Gerald McCarthy over the last 4 months should direct their ire at the real culprits here.
whether people want to recognise it or not, McCarthy was put into the firing line here deliberately by a self serving and corrupt county executive for one single reason - they knew he was not up to the job and knew that the hurlers would not accept him.

Oh sure that doesn't do at all, we couldn't have that. That would mean that it's the players fault. SUre the number one hobby on here is first class abuse of the players.
Apparently they are responsible for this. They make anyone do or say anything. They are just as responsible as the CB and hell even Gerald (no he didn't for the 100th time deserve it, but he stayed in the job despite growing public support for the players and would have gotten the hastle the players got in the first few months, he not responsible for it but he did stay in the job and some negative press and such was always going to come along with it,  I don't know why I'm bothering OM will probably highlight 4 random words from this, make it look like I'm condoning it and saying it's Gerald's fault anyway.)
The players could have easily gotten the same abuse.
None of what Gerald says can actually be proven. I know a lot of people who were very anti players but would never say anything to that sorts. When it comes to it they were all really anti CB, I also know a good few people who were pro Gerald but think that this is just a cheap shot by him.
I've never, not even on the internet, not even on PROC, seen anyone threaten him.
And the media are sensationalising it to an extent, this CIRA ringing up his daughter and crap like that, I don't ever remember him saying it.
And I think some was out of line saying.
But no, lets take the medias take on it and Gerald say on it and go full belt abuse at Gerald.
But let me ask ye this, if the players got the same abuse which is just as possible, is that ok, is that acceptable?
The players are not nor have they ever been responsible for other peoples actions.
They stood up for something they believed in, if someone did send him death threats, then they have know interest in GAA and are not genuine.

But no, hey, because of this, well the 08 players should all be banned. It's their fault, everything that happens is their fault, and ye seem to love every minute of it. 

turk

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 11, 2009, 10:28:45 AM
and will this be the end of the strike?

surely not. The issue was with the board, not McCarthy, right?

so the board will appoint a new manager to manage a lot of spotty imposters?

not the 08 panel. Because they stand firm by their convictions. And their problem is Frank Murphy, but he hadn't quit.

So the strike continues

right?

Ya, agree 100% here bottle thrower.
I have to put the hands up here as i was told i don't understand the real issues etc, but that it wasn't about Gerald Mc at all.
So what's changed?

Can someone clarify this.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: NAG on March 11, 2009, 11:24:27 AM
Whats the point the cork people showed that they hadnt the back bone to stand up for one of their own legends of the game.

They picked short term success over the ethos of the association and I for one hope that it comes back to haunt them for years to come!

Absolutly-seems the prospect of losing games override all else with the championship looming. Not that the Cork hurlers will win Munster or the All Ireland anyway. A very hollow victory.       

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 11:46:51 AM
I hope they are happy now. No matter what, Gerald McCarthy did not deserve this disgusting treatment and the 2008 panel are directly responsible. I'm sick in the pit of my stomach about it.

This is not the end of course. Something else will be wrong next week. The county board should appoint Donal Óg as manager and let him make a start on the ten in a row championships these geniuses will undoubtedly win.

Sorry to pick out this quote but its just one of a litany of the same sentiment.

those who are sick about the treatment of Gerald McCarthy over the last 4 months should direct their ire at the real culprits here.
whether people want to recognise it or not, McCarthy was put into the firing line here deliberately by a self serving and corrupt county executive for one single reason - they knew he was not up to the job and knew that the hurlers would not accept him.

Oh sure that doesn't do at all, we couldn't have that. That would mean that it's the players fault. SUre the number one hobby on here is first class abuse of the players.
Apparently they are responsible for this. They make anyone do or say anything. They are just as responsible as the CB and hell even Gerald (no he didn't for the 100th time deserve it, but he stayed in the job despite growing public support for the players and would have gotten the hastle the players got in the first few months, he not responsible for it but he did stay in the job and some negative press and such was always going to come along with it,  I don't know why I'm bothering OM will probably highlight 4 random words from this, make it look like I'm condoning it and saying it's Gerald's fault anyway.)
The players could have easily gotten the same abuse. None of what Gerald says can actually be proven. I know a lot of people who were very anti players but would never say anything to that sorts. When it comes to it they were all really anti CB, I also know a good few people who were pro Gerald but think that this is just a cheap shot by him.
I've never, not even on the internet, not even on PROC, seen anyone threaten him.
And the media are sensationalising it to an extent, this CIRA ringing up his daughter and crap like that, I don't ever remember him saying it.
But no, lets take the medias take on it and Gerald say on it and go full belt abuse at Gerald.
But let me ask ye this, if the players got the same abuse which is just as possible, is that ok, is that acceptable?
The players are not nor have they ever been responsible for other peoples actions.
They stood up for something they believed in, if someone did send him death threats, then they have know interest in GAA and are not genuine.

But no, hey, because of this, well the 08 players should all be banned. It's their fault, everything that happens is their fault, and ye seem to love every minute of it. 

Don't even go there. The players could have got abuse!!! WTF, thats are far out of touch you are with things. Totally blinded to the bigger issue here.

Also, what gives you the f**king right to question a man like Ger McCarthy and his statement. Are you saying that he didn't receive any threats or abuse and he made the whole lot up. Goes to show what you think of the situation. You are happy to talk up potential abuse the players could have received but totally dismiss abuse and threats reported and been investigated by the Gaurds. Maybe he got his kids and 80 year old father to lie as well.

You have posted some other bullshit but this is the biscuit and I hope you are proud.

For the record, if the players had of received any such abuse then the abusers should be labelled the same as those who did. They would be scum and have no place in the GAA.

Also, what is the next step to remove the CB?

cornafean

Reillers, your comments are a disgrace to this board and to yourself. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

heffo

this CIRA ringing up his daughter and crap like that, I don't ever remember him saying it.

Will it ever end with you?

So no the five time AI winner and member of the Cork team of the millennium is engaged in wasting Gardai time and making false claims - the Gardai are in cahoots with FM and have verified they are investigating the threats.

You really are a clown of the highest order..

Just for the record and for purposes of clarification - Ben O'Connor was the first person on either side to make any public comment on the issue on October 28th - he was highly critical of McCarthy

orangeman

REILLERS :

I've already dealt with this -

Have you ever been threatened by a paramilitary organisation ? Can you tell us how you would feel if a member of your family were to receive a telephone call saying that unless you stood down from a certain position that you'd get your head blown off ??

And you're like the so called "fan" who contacted Gerry Ryan who claimed the media were sensationalising the story. Now you claim the media are sensationalising it to an extent. There was no word from you when Colm Keys and Humphries were turning up the heat on Mc Carthy all along.

You really are sinking to new lows : you have contended all along that Gerald made his bed, should have expected what was coming to him and therefore deserved all he got for hanging around where he was not wanted and now after Gerald has gone to the Garda to complain about a terrorist threat to his life, all you can say is that the media are being sensationalist.

Keep the posts up Reillers. You're doing a great job.

heffo

this CIRA ringing up his daughter and crap like that, I don't ever remember him saying it.

I used to think you were a harmless fool but that comment is a new low - I'd be expecting contact from your clubmate if I were you..

INDIANA

The players could have easily gotten the same abuse.
None of what Gerald says can actually be proven. I know a lot of people who were very anti players but would never say anything to that sorts. When it comes to it they were all really anti CB, I also know a good few people who were pro Gerald but think that this is just a cheap shot by him.

But the player didn't get this perceived abuse you keep going on about. Find me one newspaper article written by a journalist damning the players. There was one every week about Mc Carthy- especially if you read the Irish Times.
PROC was shut down for some time because of the threats made to him, thats a statistical fact Reillers, you're running for cover on that one because you know thats the truth.
The media are sensationallising it- perhaps when you've had threats made against your family you can talk on the same level as him. Thats as serious as it gets for any man with a family. I don't think its possible to sensationlise that.
At the end of the day this is a process the 2008 players started and it has spiralled completely out of control. And for that all parties in the process are to blame. Thats the way its seen outside of Cork by the vast majority. This particular Cork team won't have to just beat the opposition in future years they'll have to beat the other 30 counties shouting against them as well. They'll never be remembered for anything except this.
Its only a sport at the end of the day, down in Cork it apppears to be a matter of life and death. I'm sure many of our Northern contributors will educate you about the nature of the threats made to him.

The GAA

How can some tool pretending to e from the CIRA be linked to the players?

That is ridiculous

longrunsthefox

A legend tells the truth...

Eddie Keher...

"I am very disappointed that the Cork clubs would treat a man that has done so much for hurling in the county - and in the country - in this way. He can hold his head up high after all of this...
I am very much afraid of the lessons to be learned from this. It may have a ripple effect on the whole structure of the Association where the players dictate to county boards.
I am disappointed from this point of view. It is a realistic fear. The players in Cork have won and now I can see it (a battle between managers and players) happening in clubs and counties. I am disappointed it was not dealt with in a firm way and that the members of the clubs didn't see the damage which it would have."

The GAA

Quote from: INDIANA on March 11, 2009, 12:01:40 PM
But the player didn't get this perceived abuse you keep going on about. Find me one newspaper article written by a journalist damning the players. There was one every week about Mc Carthy- especially if you read the Irish Times.
PROC was shut down for some time because of the threats made to him, thats a statistical fact Reillers, you're running for cover on that one because you know thats the truth.
The media are sensationallising it- perhaps when you've had threats made against your family you can talk on the same level as him. Thats as serious as it gets for any man with a family. I don't think its possible to sensationlise that.
At the end of the day this is a process the 2008 players started and it has spiralled completely out of control. And for that all parties in the process are to blame. Thats the way its seen outside of Cork by the vast majority. This particular Cork team won't have to just beat the opposition in future years they'll have to beat the other 30 counties shouting against them as well. They'll never be remembered for anything except this.
Its only a sport at the end of the day, down in Cork it apppears to be a matter of life and death. I'm sure many of our Northern contributors will educate you about the nature of the threats made to him.

There are articles posted on this very thread damning the players

Anyon threatening McCarthy and his family are idiots. they should be locked up and i hope they are.

The players did not start this process - Frank Murphy and his cohorts did.

sligeach

Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 12:03:52 PM
How can some tool pretending to e from the CIRA be linked to the players?

That is ridiculous

.... Are you really going to sink to reillers depths on this ?

It doesn't matter if they claimed they were the CIRA or the f**king Peoples liberation Army of Antartica.

And just out of curiosity, why do you think it is ridiculous ? It could very well be a member of the CIRA.

Have you no conscience at all ?