Darron Gibson starts in Midfield

Started by Main Street, October 14, 2008, 06:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

It deserves a thread of it's own.

On the back of a decent performance before an impressed Trap in the recent kickabout with Not Forest
Darron Gibson has been handed a sensational starting debut for Ireland in Midfield partnering Glen Whelan

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3705

TacadoirArdMhacha

Sure we'll just get the docked the points now won't we?

At least that's what all the OWCers have told us and they couldn't be wrong, could they?

On a serious note, in a home match against Cyprus, to play Gibson ahead of Andy Reid seems strange in the extreme.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

fred the red

Big call from Il Trap.....cue Tony and his joy at an All Ireland team!!!

charlie stubbs

reid's omission is probably due to the fact that trap doesnt feel he is capable of playing in the middle of the park in a direct 442

nifan

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 14, 2008, 06:34:07 PM
At least that's what all the OWCers have told us and they couldn't be wrong, could they?

Erm no we didnt ;)

Main Street

You mean because Howard Wells is no longer owc in chief?

I'm sure there were a few owcers who followed Howard's lead way back before Darron got his first competitive cap against Slovakia.

Main Street

On a serious note, in a home match against Cyprus, to play Gibson ahead of Andy Reid seems strange in the extreme.
At least Gibson is in ahead of Miller.

Rav67

Thought Joey O'Brien or Miller would get the nod so he can't be much worse than them, the options in that position at the moment are awful.  Stephen Reid is a massive loss but I suppose we're bound to still be capable of beating these by the odd goal.  f**k Stephen Ireland anyway, we could really do with him now.

Main Street

I wouldn't agree that the options are awful in midfield.
Some expected Keith Andrews to be picked ahead of Gibson or even Joey O'Brien but most were afraid that Miller would get the nod. But after Traps press conf on Monday it came out that it was between Andrews and Gibson and Andy Reid just would not fit in to the team.
O'Shea might be played at RB.
Huge game for Gibson, a career defining game imo.
2 rookies at CM, O'Shea, McShane and Kilbane in the back 4 and I'm feeling confident ;D

Tonto

Quote from: nifan on October 14, 2008, 06:51:24 PM

Erm no we didnt ;)

Fingers crossed though, eh? ;)

Main Street

Instead of crossing your fingers for that one to happen, you'd be better off focussing on the task in hand for NI, the securing of 5th place in the group against San Marino.

Goats Do Shave

I think he see's Andy Reid as Robbie Keane's replacement.

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on October 15, 2008, 12:48:11 AM
the securing of 5th place in the group against San Marino.

ow that hurts!
And puts the fear of god in me.

donalmac99

lets be honest, Darron is just not good enough for this level and is an embarassment to our shirt. He should NOT be starting this game :-[

nifan

Hes a young player who is a very good player.

embarassment to the shirt - catch yourself on

Maybe he shouldnt start the game, but who better is there?