The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2011, 03:02:42 PM
No worries I'd think.

If Ulster were told at the start that they would make it through to the knockout stages then they would have been happy with that. They will certainly give any team a game away from home. Could be a All Ireland quarter final

yes, at the aviva too i think
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hoof Hearted

Munster 0-0 London Irish @ HT !!
Don't see that too often.

thejuice

Next round,

Leinster Vs Leicester

Ulster Vs Northampton.

I live in Northampton now and I have an Ulster geansaĆ­ somewhere. Must dig it out and try work on the accent to wind up the cobblers.

Hoy noy, broyn coy.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thejuice on January 23, 2011, 09:23:18 PM
Next round,

Leinster Vs Leicester

Ulster Vs Northampton.

I live in Northampton now and I have an Ulster geansaĆ­ somewhere. Must dig it out and try work on the accent to wind up the cobblers.

Hoy noy, broyn coy.

What ground is that at thejuice? MKDons?   

tempted to go to the aviva. What's the dates?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thejuice

9th-10th April

Saints-Ulster game scheduled for Northampton but the Ulster Rugby Fans forum seem to be convinced its on in MK.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

The ERC give you a larger share of gate receipts if you move your home quarter final to a larger stadium, The Saints had already committed to playing theirs in MK.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

semi draw - Saints/Ulster v Perpignan/ Touloun
                Leinster/Leicester v Biarritz / Toulouse

Complete turnaround from last year when the french teams gor home advantage in the semi's. 

Milltown Row2

So much for the great English teams, one team left in the comp!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thejuice

AZOffaly

Quote from: thejuice on January 23, 2011, 10:41:38 PM
Theres two, Saints and Tigers

Poor show from the Welsh sides, and so much for the French not taking it seriously.

in the midst of Munster's disappointment, it was easy to forget there was another epic failure by the Ospreys in that group. Was there ever a team so much less than the sum of it's parts?

Dinny Breen

QuoteWas there ever a team so much less than the sum of it's parts?

The All-Blacks in every WC since 1987. Saracens probably the nearest club side.
#newbridgeornowhere

Milltown Row2

Sorry Two, but Ulster and Leinster may well come through their games

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 23, 2011, 11:12:33 PM
QuoteWas there ever a team so much less than the sum of it's parts?

The All-Blacks in every WC since 1987. Saracens probably the nearest club side.

Dinny, that was a rhetorical question :D

Dinny Breen

:-[

Genuine question for you AZ, Munster have tried to progress their style as we've discussed over the last couple of seasons, do you think they should persist or as written in the Sunday Tribune revert back to type. Imho I think they need to move forward but are been held back by their aging pack who seem to refuse to develop their skill set. It can be done the improvement in the skill levels of Sean O'Brien is the perfect example, he had awful hands up to two years ago but looking at him now he's the prototype for a modern back-row player, I'd almost say the complete package..

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I don't think it's mutually exclusive. I think you have to evolve, but I don't think you have to sacrifice things like heart and desire. Munster this year have been hitting rucks softer and with less intent, especially in the counter rucking. They don't tackle to turn over people, they are happy to tackle to put them down. Watch O'Driscoll, O'Brien, even fecking Sexton trying to get to their feet and rip the ball. Only Mafi and some of the younger bucks consistently do that for Munster.

To answer your question, I think game management, i.e. the old Munster way, is only sustainable when it's used in certain scenarios like bad weather, protecting a lead, etc etc. I also think it has a part to play in establishing the field position, but when you are up there, you need to be a threat behind the scrum, so I'd persist with the evolution.

However, I'd get rid of Lawrie Fisher, the pack has regressed since he came on the scene, and I'd focus on the scrum, and making sure that the pack get back that agression that you need. If they can't get it back then you need to bring in new guys, to replace the likes of Hayes/Buckley/O'Callaghan and Wallace. Wally is nearly beat.