The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: tyroneboi on December 18, 2010, 07:03:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ulster to beat Biarritz only to mess things up against Aironi! Great win today all the same. If only Piennar would do more of that break he made in the last 5 mins then he would justify his wages.

What sort of money is he on ?

tyroneboi

Quote from: orangeman on December 18, 2010, 10:12:37 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on December 18, 2010, 07:03:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ulster to beat Biarritz only to mess things up against Aironi! Great win today all the same. If only Piennar would do more of that break he made in the last 5 mins then he would justify his wages.

What sort of money is he on ?

He is on around £250k I have heard from people in round the Ulster branch whereas guys like Humphreys and Henry are in round the £70k to £100k mark. The guy is a class act no doubt about it but he is definitely capable of doing so much more. He is on a two year deal which would take him to the end of the 2011/2012 season but with a world cup in that time it will be interesting to see how much he plays during that season.

Hoof Hearted

Im for the final again in May. the last 2 finals i have been at have seen Munster (2008) and Leinster 2009) wins. would love to see an Ulster win in 2011 would take any Irish win. as long as it's not an all French final i don't mind
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Dinny Breen

Saracens are on a stag after today's game and are playing like they're already on it.

Poor intensity but even allowing for that Sean O'Brien is a beast. Poor Fitzy having a mare, shouldn't be anywhere near an Irish Squad at the moment.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 15, 2011, 03:02:16 PM
Poor Fitzy having a mare, shouldn't be anywhere near an Irish Squad at the moment.

Worrying with Geordan Murphy ruled out of the 6N. Who'll play full-back?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

QuoteWorrying with Geordan Murphy ruled out of the 6N. Who'll play full-back?

Ellistown's finest else Tommy Bowe, Shane Horgans form is worthy of a recall.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

Good win for the ulster men today, although with Biarritz getting a bonus point, they should still be favourites.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 15, 2011, 05:40:48 PM
Good win for the ulster men today, although with Biarritz getting a bonus point, they should still be favourites.
How does that leave Ulster now, Hoof. If they win their last game are they not thru?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: leaveherinsir on January 15, 2011, 05:48:48 PM
How does that leave Ulster now, Hoof. If they win their last game are they not thru?

level with Biarritz, they have to get a bonus point win in aironi and hope Biarritz dont get a bonus point win against Bath. If they get 5 points each, it comes down to head to head, which stands at 1 win each, then its scores, which Biarritz are ahead, i think thats it anyway

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 15, 2011, 05:30:14 PM

QuoteWorrying with Geordan Murphy ruled out of the 6N. Who'll play full-back?

Ellistown's finest else Tommy Bowe, Shane Horgans form is worthy of a recall.

Ken Donnelly is still recovering from the knee injury Dinny or maybe you mean Aindriú MacLochlainn?  ;D

Surely not Pádraig Mullarkey - never looked comfortable at full-back and could hardly be considered an Ellistown man these days!

What's the craic with Felix Jones. Is he still out injured?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 15, 2011, 06:01:44 PM
Quote from: leaveherinsir on January 15, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

level with Biarritz, they have to get a bonus point win in aironi and hope Biarritz dont get a bonus point win against Bath. If they get 5 points each, it comes down to head to head, which stands at 1 win each, then its scores, which Biarritz are ahead, i think thats it anyway

Spot on Hoof.A bonus point win in Aironi will virtually guarantee that at worst they will qualify as one of the best second place teams but if Bath can do anything in Biarritz then Ulster should go through in first place.
Tight game in poor conditions.The Backs are game but there's not a lot of quality.D'Arcy and Paddy Wallace played well and Humphreys had some balls to put away the penalties.Ferris,Tuohy and Court were like bulls but Rory Best looked in a lot of pain with a rib injury.Biarritz were the best team I've seen at Ravenhill this year and I don't understand how they lost in Italy,
All down to the wire next week.

mountainboii

Dinny Breen

Munster will be back, their academy was a mess but McGahan has restructured it however it will be a few years before it really produces.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 16, 2011, 08:10:06 PM
Munster will be back, their academy was a mess but McGahan has restructured it however it will be a few years before it really produces.

are they out ? Can they not qualify as a runner up ?

Hound

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 16, 2011, 10:22:12 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 16, 2011, 08:10:06 PM

are they out ? Can they not qualify as a runner up ?
Only the best two runners-up qualify and Munster are well out of the reckoning. The next 3 best runners-up qualify for the Amlin Cup, so if they beat LIrish, they should get one of those spots.

Any kind of win for Ulster in Aironi will guarantee a quarter-final place, so they don't have to worry about the bonus point (albiet it would be nice if it came along of course)