The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

re The Quinlan thing, it certainly looks like he went for Cullen, now he didn't really leave his hand there and gouge, but it was definitely a raking or scraping across the eyeball, and was filthy thing to do. I suspect he may get a month, but if he gets more and misses the Lions tour, he'll get no sympathy from me.

Hound

Had a look at it again today. It didnt last long, but his nails made their marks across Cullen's face, and Cullen's eyelid was also cut. Quinlan did seek Cullen out after the game and you could see he was apologising - but too little too late.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2009, 07:37:22 AM
Jaysus lads, don't take it personally. Be confident in who you are.

All nations who have won the World Cup in rugby have been British colonies. Add to that Tonga, Western Samoa, Fiji etc and you get the picture. The compete for the William Webb Ellis Cup, the son of a British Army officer. It's a reminder in most countries that play it of the British hand print on their history.

At least soccer is a worldwide game originating in China.

You're in quare form this weekend O'Neill and you have the summer holidays to look forward to.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quinlan Cited
4 May 2009, 3:16 pm

Alan Quinlan, the Munster back row forward (No 6), is due to appear before an independent Disciplinary Committee as a result of a citing arising from the Heineken Cup semi-final against Leinster at Croke Park.
The citing lodged by the Citing Commissioner for the match, John Byett (England), is for alleged contact with the eye / eye area of Leinster player Leo Cullen (No 4) in contravention of Law 10.4 (k).

The independent Disciplinary Committee will be appointed as soon as practicable.

Law 10.4 (k) - Acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

ONeill

I think I might delirious from lack of stout.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 04, 2009, 03:58:25 PM
Quinlan Cited

Alan Quinlan, the Munster back row forward (No 6), is due to appear before an independent Disciplinary Committee as a result of a citing arising from the Heineken Cup semi-final against Leinster at Croke Park.
The citing lodged by the Citing Commissioner for the match, John Byett (England), is for alleged contact with the eye / eye area of Leinster player Leo Cullen (No 4) in contravention of Law 10.4 (k).

The independent Disciplinary Committee will be appointed as soon as practicable.

Will Cullen's defence of Quinlan help Quinlan avoid a suspension or will it be ignored ?. What length of a suspension can he expect if guilty ?.

tyroneboi

Quote from: orangeman on May 04, 2009, 05:37:25 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 04, 2009, 03:58:25 PM
Quinlan Cited

Will Cullen's defence of Quinlan help Quinlan avoid a suspension or will it be ignored ?. What length of a suspension can he expect if guilty ?.

Minimum of 12 weeks for eye gouging. Neil Best and Dylan Hartley of Northampton are the most recent examples I can think of and they got 18 weeks and 6 months respectively. Its one of those offences which is treated as one of the more serious in rugby.

AZOffaly

Depends whether they call it gouging or raking/reckless hands. He'll be lucky to get a month.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 04, 2009, 05:51:19 PM
Depends whether they call it gouging or raking/reckless hands. He'll be lucky to get a month.
According to Sky Sports News, if found guilty its a minimum ban of 3 months, a maximum ban of 3 years.

Tankie

Still cant believe it, what a performance!!!!!!

C'mon Leinster!!!!!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Roger

Quote from: Tankie on May 04, 2009, 11:39:31 PM

C'mon Leinster!!!!!!!!
:D

Fair do's, if I was a Leinster supporter I'd be still on cloud 9 too.  It was very impressive.

Will they repeat it in the final ???

Tankie

Quote from: Roger on May 05, 2009, 12:19:03 AM
Quote from: Tankie on May 04, 2009, 11:39:31 PM

C'mon Leinster!!!!!!!!
:D

Fair do's, if I was a Leinster supporter I'd be still on cloud 9 too.  It was very impressive.

Will they repeat it in the final ???

hard to say about the final, Leicester are a serious team and will be favorites but i need to sort out how i'm getting to the final first and I will then start thinking about the game.

but what a day, all the years of abuse are nearly over!

Grand Slam Saturday!

highorlow

Fair play to Leinster, they certainly dug their heels in for that one.

Good luck to them in the final.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 01, 2009, 01:48:05 PM
QuoteAgreed. Is it just me or are the Munster fans overly confident. Everyone of them I've spoken to doesn't give Leinster a chance of getting within a score of them?

It's not you, every Munster fan I've talked to really believe they'll wipe the floor with Leinster. The thing that has given me the greatest hope for Saturday is O'Driscolls interview on The Rugby Club, he looked very relaxed and just radated confidence. With the backline picked I think Leinster are going to go for the jugular and if they can silence the 50K odd Munster fans they really can pull this off. Here's hoping...

Rarely do my prophecies come true but I knew after that interview Leinster were going to win, O'Driscoll without doubt is the greatest rugby player this country has ever produced, again he delivered when it mattered.

Something that doesn't seem to have been picked up is the debate over Lunsters in the lead up to the game, it seems quite deliberate that two recent Leinster players Reggie Corrigan and Shane Byrne (great to see him there in the crowd in his jersey) took time out to attack Lunsters and their reasons for supporting Munster, it really galvanised the Leinster support and although out-numbered they were certainly heard and I think the players have really bought into it and in the last two Heineken Cup performances they really have put their bodies on the line.

The Munster fans were shell-shocked, was there even a rendition of the FOA?, they were coming to Dublin to watch Munster destroy Leinster, they didn't rate Leinster and such is life complacency can be the worst thing that can happen to any sports team.

The discipline, the hunger and the belief in the Leinster team was fantastic and the coaching staff deserve all the plaudits for having a team so well prepared for a game. This game will be a watershed but they now have to deliver although they still have two goes if the final doesn't work out.

Devastated for Contepomi.

Quinline deserves to be banned, not gouging but very dangerous play, he has no excuse his hand should be no where near the face regardless of intent.

Nice that my 2000th post was after such a great win

How many did ONeill get?  :D
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly