The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Pardon my ignorance, but why doesn't the ERC just let the English and French run their own little Anglo/French competition and continue with the Heiniken Cup. They could allocate the places to English and French clubs and if they don't take them up just go without them. Although I would say ala Champions League places should be allocated to the various leagues and the ratio preportional to the success of the entrants from the leagues.

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 12, 2013, 09:45:44 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but why doesn't the ERC just let the English and French run their own little Anglo/French competition and continue with the Heiniken Cup. They could allocate the places to English and French clubs and if they don't take them up just go without them.

You mean like the PRO12.

screenexile

From a French/English Ireland have won 5 of the last 8 Heineken Cups and there has to be a reason other than our Clubs have been better than the English and French clubs in this period and they see it as they automatic qualification into the Heineken Cup.

Personally I think that's nonsense but they have the financial clout to dig their heels in and work it more in their favour. Should it not be up to the IRB to step in here and say that an Anglo/French centred Tournament is not good for the promotion of Rugby throughout Europe and that if they don't play in the Heineken Cup then they can't set up on their own? Why should individual Countries be allowed to dictate the state of the game across the Continent?

Capt Pat

The French and English clubs have all the money behind them. When they leave the money will follow them and the Celtic nations will be forced to join the new competition.

That is unless the Heineken cup makes the changes the English and French clubs are demanding.

deiseach

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 12, 2013, 01:20:53 PM
The French and English clubs have all the money behind them. When they leave the money will follow them and the Celtic nations will be forced to join the new competition.

That is unless the Heineken cup makes the changes the English and French clubs are demanding.

It's that simple, isn't it? I doff my cap to your pithy style.

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on September 12, 2013, 09:51:35 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but why doesn't the ERC just let the English and French run their own little Anglo/French competition and continue with the Heiniken Cup. They could allocate the places to English and French clubs and if they don't take them up just go without them.

You mean like the PRO12.
Well no the Pro12 would have a number of places in the HC as would the english and French or the Anglo french League.

Syferus

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 12, 2013, 02:26:23 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 12, 2013, 09:51:35 AM

You mean like the PRO12.
Well no the Pro12 would have a number of places in the HC as would the english and French or the Anglo french League.

Your idea is about as insane as ice cream on toast.

muppet

I think the Irish and Welsh should give in and join.

Then we will say goodbye to the Italians, at least half of the Scots and a couple of teams from Ireland and Wales.

Then in a few years when the Premiership Egos decide they need more money we will go through this all over again. Will we lose the rest of the Scots, and more Irish and Welsh teams.

Eventually we will be left with amateur rugby in Italy, Scotland, most of Ireland and Wales. There will be two professional leagues, one in England and one in France. They will have only succeeded in reducing the revenue.

Seriously though, the Irish would be insane to capitulate now, but I am worried about the Welsh. I think they will do it.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2013, 07:22:35 PM

Then we will say goodbye to the Italians, at least half of the Scots and a couple of teams from Ireland and Wales.

Then in a few years when the Premiership Egos decide they need more money we will go through this all over again. Will we lose the rest of the Scots, and more Irish and Welsh teams.

Eventually we will be left with amateur rugby in Italy, Scotland, most of Ireland and Wales. There will be two professional leagues, one in England and one in France. They will have only succeeded in reducing the revenue.

Seriously though, the Irish would be insane to capitulate now, but I am worried about the Welsh. I think they will do it.

How do we resist though?

We'll have two European Cups. The Irish with shit Welsh/Scots sides. The money /media /hype machine will go to the French/English model and the HC form will fold.

All the c***ts need is Munster/Leinster and a strong Welsh side and they can push on and call their competition the premier rugby competition in Europe.

We'll just survive but the cnuts have spelled the death of Scottish and Italian rugby.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on September 12, 2013, 09:11:41 PM

How do we resist though?

We'll have two European Cups. The Irish with shit Welsh/Scots sides. The money /media /hype machine will go to the French/English model and the HC form will fold.

All the c***ts need is Munster/Leinster and a strong Welsh side and they can push on and call their competition the premier rugby competition in Europe.

We'll just survive but the cnuts have spelled the death of Scottish and Italian rugby.

This could happen. But what happens when the English club owners threaten us again?
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Lets be honest. This is the death of Connacht, Dragons and one of the Scottish clubs. To be honest the Scots will have to amalgamate the two clubs left.

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2013, 09:13:35 PM

How do we resist though?

This could happen. But what happens when the English club owners threaten us again?
I'd assume Munster/Leinster would be as strong even the richest of the English clubs and more able to defend their corner.

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on September 12, 2013, 09:22:49 PM

How do we resist though?

I'd assume Munster/Leinster would be as strong even the richest of the English clubs and more able to defend their corner.

Unlike now?
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on September 12, 2013, 09:26:51 PM
Quote from: trileacman on September 12, 2013, 09:22:49 PM

How do we resist though?

Unlike now?

They're defending Aironi, Zebre, Dragons, Glasgow and Connacht. Not truly the same as defending your own existence as you predict may happen. What could they do? Banish Munster and Leinster from the competition (and the cash that they bring with them)?

Syferus

Quote from: trileacman on September 12, 2013, 09:17:45 PM
Lets be honest. This is the death of Connacht, Dragons and one of the Scottish clubs. To be honest the Scots will have to amalgamate the two clubs left.

Connact would be better off competitively speaking playing in the Amlin Cup or its successor and sure they only make the European Cup when Munster or Leinster win it anyways. Are Connacht even being particularly well-funded? I doubt this stuff will decide their future one way or the other. The IRFU has mulled over culling them long before any of this stuff came up.