The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheedy

simply brilliant by leinster. what a team.
nil satis nisi optimum

lawnseed

the unionist threat has been vanquished. ;) fairly one sided game. radio "ulster" will be worth listening to on monday.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

trileacman

Quote from: lawnseed on May 19, 2012, 07:58:20 PM
the unionist threat has been vanquished. ;) fairly one sided game. radio "ulster" will be worth listening to on monday.

If you are from Ulster but don't support them does that not make you a partitionist?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: trileacman on May 19, 2012, 08:03:02 PM

If you are from Ulster but don't support them does that not make you a partitionist?

I think it's just good old fashioned sectarianism. I think its a huge shame that an Ulsterman would take joy in Ulster losing.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Newbridge Exile

Congratulations to Leinster, 3 titles in 4 years is some achievement

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 19, 2012, 09:26:03 PM

I think it's just good old fashioned sectarianism. I think its a huge shame that an Ulsterman would take joy in Ulster losing.
we'll all get the chance to SUFTUM today and there wont be a loyalist flag in sight cavan v donegal
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Sheedy

sure is! c'mon leinster!!!!!!
nil satis nisi optimum

screenexile

Going on the past I can see why some Nationalists in Ulster have supported Leinster as Ulster were heavily associated with Unionism at the beginning of the Proffessional era and were cack for a long time. For that reason I don't mind if someone has supported Leinster and have stayed with them.

I don't understand the mentality of people who have little or no interest in Rugby wanting to see Ulster getting beat. It's your province and all that Unionist crap has basically disappeared from the game so why do you feel the need to blast a team trying to be the best in Europe. The sectarianism that exists around the Ulster Rugby team is ridiculous!!

Capt Pat

All this competitive pro rugby stuff is relatively new. Fans don't know who to follow. A lot of Leinster people followed Munster when they were on top. There was no big match atmosphere in Dublin for this game. A lot of the fans would have been in Twickenham. Then it is all on sky sports with highlights on TG4,a lot of people won't get to see any of the game.

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on May 20, 2012, 12:11:07 PM
Going on the past I can see why some Nationalists in Ulster have supported Leinster as Ulster were heavily associated with Unionism at the beginning of the Proffessional era and were cack for a long time. For that reason I don't mind if someone has supported Leinster and have stayed with them.

I don't understand the mentality of people who have little or no interest in Rugby wanting to see Ulster getting beat. It's your province and all that Unionist crap has basically disappeared from the game so why do you feel the need to blast a team trying to be the best in Europe. The sectarianism that exists around the Ulster Rugby team is ridiculous!!

Exactly, I support Munster because around the time I started following rugby they were going through some dark days in semi's and H cup finals and I liked the history and tradition of the club. Connaught and Ulster were shit and to me Leinster seemed like a load of pampered D4 pricks who were talented but didn't have the balls to step up and win. In the end Ulster was an easy choice (especially because they started winning stuff shortly after).  ;)

As you said why do you have to publicly blast Ulster just because they're mostly prods? If some orange man came on here and blasted Tyrone, Armagh or Derry and said that he is supporting Kerry or Dublin because the local team is full of taigs there'd be a holy war on here. Who was that Unionist who went to support Loughgiel in the club final? He had the right attitude and even if you do have reservations about supporting Ulster then keep them to yourself. The Ulster branch of the IRFU have done a decent job of trying to include Catholics and lose the trappings so the only major fault you could find with them is that they have alot of prods about the place.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Newbridge Exile

I never have supported Ulster SE but religion has nothing to do with it, When i first starting following Rugby (20+ years ago) , with both them and Leinster I have always felt that you had to have went  the right middle class school to feel included, I have always supported Munster as I had a " perception" ( rightly or wrongly?) that in certain parts of Munster anyway it was more of an inclusive game open to all classes., (whilst saying this I know that the Ulster Branch is doing fantastic work in reaching out to schools outside its traditional catchment area , probably the same in Leinster as well).I honestly didnt care who won yesterday , was just looking to see a good game of Rugby

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 20, 2012, 12:05:58 PM

sure is! c'mon leinster!!!!!!

At least your being honest.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I don't understand the mentality of people who have little or no interest in Rugby wanting to see Ulster getting beat. It's your province and all that Unionist crap has basically disappeared from the game so why do you feel the need to blast a team trying to be the best in Europe
. The sectarianism that exists around the Ulster Rugby team is ridiculous!!

Fixed that for you.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Where is this Connaught place some of you speak of? There is a province called Connacht.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 20, 2012, 04:34:15 PM
Where is this Connaught place some of you speak of? There is a province called Connacht.

And does anyone care?
Careful now